Breakaway Sept 13, 2015 Parking, Hotel info and more

kabbpres

Hi we are driving in on Sat Sept 12 for the 13th cruise. We are looking for an inexpensive hotel in New Jersey for Sat night then a place to park on Sunday. Any help will be appreciated. We have never driven in NYC so it will be an experience.

Also any info on transportation passes in Bermuda and things to do. Really looking forward to the trip

We have been on the Getaway, Epic, Sun, Star and Dawn. Now for another adventure.

Thinking about the Vibe passes too. Earlier the better right? Thanks so much Steve :)

This is under Homeport - East Coast Departure - tons & tons of info on what, how, where, etc. - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Are you in the Roll Call for your sailings, fellow CC's on the same cruise are often your best "informants" on insider's tips, etc.

Also, read some of the recent Bermuda sailing reviews (including the Dawn out of Boston) - Bermuda gov't has an official website with many useful links, including weather & the excellent public transport system, and the visitor's pass.

There's a Bermuda Forum - about 2 tons of info - questions been asked, please read a bit on generalized info first & ask specific questions http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

I have stayed at Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place in Secaucus for business. Check with them about parking for the week. They use to let you keep your car there, but not sure if they still do. NJ transit runs a regular schedule with stops practically right in front of the hotel (not quite as frequently on weekends as during the week though). It is inexpensive and about a 15 minute ride to Port Authority. From there you can take a cab.

Driving in NYC ain't all that bad, despite what you might think. My honest suggestion..? Drive aggressive , or be left behind lol. Can't really help much with parking, as luck has it, my employer has a lot 2 blocks from the terminal that I've parked in for free the last 6 cruises. One thing you might look into, theres several hotels in Staten Island, minutes from the VZ bridge, that might work out for you as well. Good luck, and have a great cruise :D:D

Driving in NYC ain't all that bad, despite what you might think. My honest suggestion..? Drive aggressive , or be left behind lol. Can't really help much with parking, as luck has it, my employer has a lot 2 blocks from the terminal that I've parked in for free the last 6 cruises. One thing you might look into, theres several hotels in Staten Island, minutes from the VZ bridge, that might work out for you as well. Good luck, and have a great cruise :D:D

as a life long NY'er my biggest complaint is stay out of the left lane,,,thanks!:)

Sorry I am late to the party but I'll be on the same cruise as you, we are going with 8 people and got a hotel in Parsippany NJ at the embassy suites (with cruise parking for the week) for $150 a night (we will be there Saturday). My uncle got a van to pick us up round trip including tolls etc for $140 per couple. So for a night in a hotel and round trip driver for $300 I didn't think it was bad at all. For three cars to park at the terminal would've been a lot more.

Sorry I am late to the party but I'll be on the same cruise as you, we are going with 8 people and got a hotel in Parsippany NJ at the embassy suites (with cruise parking for the week) for $150 a night (we will be there Saturday). My uncle got a van to pick us up round trip including tolls etc for $140 per couple. So for a night in a hotel and round trip driver for $300 I didn't think it was bad at all. For three cars to park at the terminal would've been a lot more.

Just looking at your math how many hotels rooms are you getting? The car is costing you $560 alone; if 4 are paying $140 each.

Just looking at your math how many hotels rooms are you getting? The car is costing you $560 alone; if 4 are paying $140 each.

It would cost just my wife and I that much. 4 hotel rooms total, 8 people, 1 car vs 4 cars parking in NYC (all coming from different places). Basically we are all meeting and making a night out of it at the hotel for $150 a night each which includes parking ($150 x 4 =600), then all of us are taking one car (including tips, tolls and driver) for $140 per couple ($140 x 4 = $560) vs Parking at the terminal $40/day x 7 = $280 each x 4 = $1120 plus a hotel. Essentially we are saving close to $600 as a group by doing this. Either way we were going to get a hotel so this was the cheapest option for the group parking/driving wise.

Edit: I hope I didn't come off as passive aggressive I think I just realized what you were saying. The $300 figure I said was for my wife and I to stay in a hotel for a night, park and have a ride to and from the terminal. $150 for the room and $140 for the ride roundtrip.

Edited by DonJuan77

It would cost just my wife and I that much. 4 hotel rooms total, 8 people, 1 car vs 4 cars parking in NYC (all coming from different places). Basically we are all meeting and making a night out of it at the hotel for $150 a night each which includes parking ($150 x 4 =600), then all of us are taking one car (including tips, tolls and driver) for $140 per couple ($140 x 4 = $560) vs Parking at the terminal $40/day x 7 = $280 each x 4 = $1120 plus a hotel. Essentially we are saving close to $600 as a group by doing this. Either way we were going to get a hotel so this was the cheapest option for the group parking/driving wise.

Edit: I hope I didn't come off as passive aggressive I think I just realized what you were saying. The $300 figure I said was for my wife and I to stay in a hotel for a night, park and have a ride to and from the terminal. $150 for the room and $140 for the ride roundtrip.

No you did not come off that way. Have a great time. Just off the Breakaway a few weeks ago.