Inverness - Cawdor or Dunrobin Castle? Opinions Pls

I'll be visiting Inverness next summer via the Grand Princess (think this is my 3rd time on just the Grand) and I'm trying to decide which castle to visit - Cawdor or Dunrobin. As they are in different directions I only have time to visit one. Any opinions? Thx in advance to all my fellow CC members.

We took an indepednet for this port and we did indeed do Loch Ness (my family's castle sits on the edge - Urquhart) and then went to Cawdor Castle, we did it the opposite of the tour buses and it wasn't too crowded. Had a wonderful lunch there and enjoyed our tour. It was hard to imagine that someone actually calls it home for several months out of the year. The gardens were especially lovely and not crowded at all.

Drop me an e mail at charliekirby@comcast.net for our travel journel to Scotland.

Charlie

• 2 months later...

Spikesgirl,

I am wondering how you did your tours? What we really would like to do is go to Loch Ness and Urquhart castle, but not have to "rush" - maybe sit for a while and picnic if the weather permits.

We went to Cawdor on the Blue Route bus from Inverness. This is an independently owned bus (very nice chap who's the owner/driver) which is advertised along with the HoHo (Red Route). He does a loop which takes in Culloden and Cawdor as well as a couple of other places. The bus leaves from outside the tourist information office. You can get off at any of the attractions and then pick him up when he goes past again. If you explain you're on a cruise ship and the time you need to return, he'll advise what's best to do. Cawdor was fantastic - beautiful gardens and lots to see.

• 6 years later...

We've never been to Dunrobin Castle, but we loved our visit to Cawder Castle. It's lovely and has a homey feel, the gardens are beautiful, and they have a very nice tea room for lunch. I've never done it by public transportation, so don't know how long it would take as we had a rental car. If you go to Cawder Castle, you will go right by the Culloden battlefield site, which is worth a visit. They have a wonderful Visitor's Center, and the site is important to all of Scotland. Don't miss it.