Beach?

racegirl35

When you get off the ship, you will be required to walk through the terminal shops to get out the other side to a roundabout where the free shuttle buses to town are located.

Keep in mind---this pier is about 4 MILES LONG! That is AFTER you get on the bus. The pier shops isn't really that huge, but some interesting things to check out. The free shuttle bus simply takes you from the ship/terminal end of the pier, down the 4 miles, and to the drop off area at the bus terminal (there is a little flea market beside the bus terminal).

Some tours, especially the ship excursions, will put you on the bus right at the ship end of the pier. But if you have arranged private tours or haven't booked anything and want to check availability, you take the shuttle bus and do that at the bus terminal. Auto Progreso tour buses will board at the bus terminal.

Okay, to the beach. After you get off the bus at the bus terminal in town, you have to walk 3-4 (maybe 5, but they are short) blocks back to the beach. It runs all along there; and you will see it from the shuttle bus. I don't think the buses will let you off there. I think they require you to go to the bus terminal to get off. They only pick up there also---I think.

Hope this helps! :)

• 2 months later...
Is there a beach within walking distance in Progresso once exiting the cruise terminal? If so, how far? I wanted to do the 4 hour mayan ruins while there but would also like to have a couple of hours at the beach.

Have you taken your cruise yet? If you are doing the 4 hour Dzib ruin tour with AutoProgreso, you will leave from the Central bus station but the tour doesnt leave until around 11. You will have time to walk back to the beach from the bus station, put your feet in the water then be back to get on the bus to the ruins. The vendors are everywhere on the beach so be prepared to say "no gracias" over and over if you don't want to buy anything.