Cozumel Airport Question

overthehillcruiser

After too many cruises we are doing an AI in Cozumel in June. Curious if anyone has flown in to or out of the airport lately? Trying to find out how much check in time I need to allow for our departure flight. Also, I am thinking of just walking out to the street to catch an $8 cab to our hotel instead of opting for a $65 transfer, only about 4 miles. Any info on the cab situation or check in time appreciated.

My friend says allow 60-90" ck in for flight. Cabs can only drop off @ the airport but are prohibited from picking up inside airport property. You have to go outside the airport itself about 100 yards where they will be happy to pick u up! I remember that weird cab deal now that she said it from the good ole days of going to Coz 2-3x per year!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.:)

My friend says allow 60-90" ck in for flight. Cabs can only drop off @ the airport but are prohibited from picking up inside airport property. You have to go outside the airport itself about 100 yards where they will be happy to pick u up! I remember that weird cab deal now that she said it from the good ole days of going to Coz 2-3x per year!

We spent a wonderful week in Cozumel this past February.

60 to 90 mins check in should be fine. We used the shared van service to get to our B&B in Centro. Went very well. Also, be leary of the timeshare folks who appear helpful as you walk out of the security area.. They were relentless. Tried to get us to rent a car. Told him I didn't have my DL, and he said, no problem... :rolleyes:

We would love to spend more time in Cozumel - eventually.

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

Here is a thread that might help with the procedure at the airport. We walk out to the road and have been picked up on airport blvd but it is recommended officially that you walk a block or so south along avenida 65. Really depends on how much luggage you have and whether you are able whether it is worthwhile to walk.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/413080-arriving-departing-cozumel-airport-guided-tour.html

You can easily take a taxi back to the airport.

Someone on scubaboards said that they had a cab stopped by a police officer and were required to be returned to the airport. Cabs are not allowed to pick up from the airport, and I guess depending on their mood they enforce it for those who walk out to the street.

The shared vans are easy to use though.

Ignore EVERYONE in the airport once you get passed customs and immigration and walk straight to the ticket window that has this sign: http://home.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Scuba/Cozumel/November2008/ShuttlePriceSmall.jpg

Everyone else (even with their fancy "tourist advisory" shirts) is a timeshare or rental car. Just say no thanks and move on!

We stayed for a week at the Sabor in December and loved it. Staying the week was better than a cruise.

Someone on scubaboards said that they had a cab stopped by a police officer and were required to be returned to the airport. Cabs are not allowed to pick up from the airport, and I guess depending on their mood they enforce it for those who walk out to the street.

The shared vans are easy to use though.

Ignore EVERYONE in the airport once you get passed customs and immigration and walk straight to the ticket window that has this sign: http://home.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Scuba/Cozumel/November2008/ShuttlePriceSmall.jpg

Everyone else (even with their fancy "tourist advisory" shirts) is a timeshare or rental car. Just say no thanks and move on!

We stayed for a week at the Sabor in December and loved it. Staying the week was better than a cruise.

Yes, I have read that the police are enforcing the taxi law. We took the collectivo, with no issue. Agree with you also about spending a week there. We loved staying in Centro. Everything within walking distance, felt safe, and very much at home.

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

Edited by soccersharon

That is where we are going. I hope it is good. Looking at Cancun for next year. Thanks again..:)

No prob! Where are you staying in Coz? Last time I did AI we stayed @ the Hotel Cozumeleno which is north of the airport. Was there on a cruise ship in Jan but we had nasty weather.

Super helpful link. Thank you..:)

Here is a thread that might help with the procedure at the airport. We walk out to the road and have been picked up on airport blvd but it is recommended officially that you walk a block or so south along avenida 65. Really depends on how much luggage you have and whether you are able whether it is worthwhile to walk.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/413080-arriving-departing-cozumel-airport-guided-tour.html

You can easily take a taxi back to the airport.