HELP JUST broke leg

Help all you cruise gurus! Four days ago my leg was broken (my daddy crushed it with a backhoe bucket—buy me a drink and I’ll draw you a picture). The surgery went fine with a four inch metal plate and five screws holding the fibula together. I am confined to a wheelchair and crutches and absolutely no weight bearing.

I cannot get my money back from RCCL so I have to make the cruise. My questions to you are: will RCCL lend me a wheelchair? Will RCCL help me get from the dock through security and onto the ship? Will they move me to a handicap accessible room at no charge? How will I get off the ship and down the dock to any excursions? When we stop at Labadee will they help me get to any beach? Basically, what will RCCL do and how do I get them to do it?

We only have one excursion through RCCL-the zipline in San Juan. The medical people strongly suggest I try and cancel since I cannot walk uphill or stop myself with one foot. Will RCCL let me out of it—and my three friends as well?

I am so very bummed with this situation. I cannot believe it! I’ve been so careful leading up to this cruise! We’re planning on renting a sailboat in St. Thomas and a powerboat ride in St. Maarten.

All your tips and help is greatly appreciated!

Help all you cruise gurus! Four days ago my leg was broken (my daddy crushed it with a backhoe bucket—buy me a drink and I’ll draw you a picture). The surgery went fine with a four inch metal plate and five screws holding the fibula together. I am confined to a wheelchair and crutches and absolutely no weight bearing.

I cannot get my money back from RCCL so I have to make the cruise.

I take it you didn't buy trip insurance? That would be one alternative. Otherwise, no, they won't refund your money.

My questions to you are: will RCCL lend me a wheelchair?

You can call them and ask, but generally no.

Will RCCL help me get from the dock through security and onto the ship?

This they WILL do. When you get to the port, you (or someone in your party) need to find an RCCL representative, and ask for handicap assistance in boarding. They'll find a wheelchair, get you onto the ship -- only onto the ship -- or perhaps to the door of your stateroom -- and then you're on your own.

And when you want to get OFF the ship, same thing -- they'll take you down the gangway to the shore..but that's all. As for tendering -- if any of your ports are "tender ports", where you have to get on a smaller vessel to get to shore, you'd have to maneuver onto the tender -- generally down a few steps onto the tender, then up a few steps to get off. If you can, great. If you can't, you'll stay on the ship.

IF you can maneuver up/down steps onto the tender boat, then you'll be allowed to go to shore. Otherwise...no. And No, you WON'T generally be able to use their wheelchair to do shore excursions.

Will they move me to a handicap accessible room at no charge?

No. Generally handicap-accessible rooms are booked MONTHS in advance. You could always call and ask .. by chance there may be one available, at which case you could move to it. IF it is in the same class/category as your current cabin, then there would be no extra charge. But if it is in a HIGHER category, then you'd pay the difference...or if it is in a lower category, they may consider some on board credit. But don't hold your breathe, as there are VERY few such cabins on any ship, and they're likely long filled.

How will I get off the ship and down the dock to any excursions? When we stop at Labadee will they help me get to any beach? Basically, what will RCCL do and how do I get them to do it?

They will do nothing except help you get off the ship. Any excursions -- even those sponsored by the ship -- are your own responsibility (as they are for anyone who is disabled, by the way). We have to get to beaches by ourselves. If the cruise line knows well in advance -- AND IF YOU BOOK AN EXCURSION CLEARLY LABELED AS ONE THAT IS "ACCESSIBLE", then they might be able to offer accessible transportation. But those are very rare and few, on most cruises.

We only have one excursion through RCCL-the zipline in San Juan. The medical people strongly suggest I try and cancel since I cannot walk uphill or stop myself with one foot. Will RCCL let me out of it—and my three friends as well?

You may be able to cancel. You'd have to contact RCCL to find out. Some cruise lines allow cancellations, but there's always a penalty -- sometimes it has to be within hours, sometimes days. So you'd better get on the phone and find out!

I am so very bummed with this situation. I cannot believe it! I’ve been so careful leading up to this cruise! We’re planning on renting a sailboat in St. Thomas and a powerboat ride in St. Maarten.

You'd best check with your doctor to see if you can manage to get in/out of these vessels. Don't expect RCCL..or the vessel operators...to help you. It sounds like you're traveling with friends...see how much help THEY're willing to provide. Then you'll have to play it by ear.

You can do what most of us do...RENT a wheelchair. Contact RCCL and find out who they do business with. Some cruise lines have specific contracts with mobility providers. You'd rent the wheelchair and then be able to use it throughout the ship and throughout your cruise.

Or rent one from a supply company at home -- you're going to need it to get through the airports and to the port anyway, and it might be cheaper to go this route. Have your dad pay for it, since he broke your leg! :)

You'll have to manage on crutches INside your cabin, as a wheelchair won't fit through the door of a regular cabin. But again, if you're travelling with friends, perhaps they can help.

Good luck! I'm sorry about your leg! I hope this works out!

I cannot get my money back from RCCL so I have to make the cruise.

When does your cruise leave? No RCCL will not refund your cruise. Cancellation penalties are outlined in the cruise brochure regardless of the reason for cancellation. I guess you didn't get cruise insurance? Next time buy it. It costs little in comparison to what you could lose. Did your doctor give your permission to go on this cruise? Doctors are available on the ship but this is at an additional cost that your medical insurance generally does not cover.

My questions to you are: will RC CL lend me a wheelchair?

No. Generally the cruise lines no longer loan out wheelchairs. Even if they do, they are large, heavy and often in disrepair. I suggest renting one for your cruise. Make sure it is collapsible.

Will RCCL help me get from the dock through security and onto the ship?

Yes, this is no problem. Just ask for wheelchair assistance when you get to the port. They will wheel you to your cabin but that is it. If you bring a wheelchair make sure it is collapsible. A wheelchair is too wide to get thru a regular cabin door. You will need to wheel up to the door and then use your crutches to get in the cabin and move around the cabin. You will need to ask your room steward for a shower seat.

Will they move me to a handicap accessible room at no charge?

No. Ships usually have only around 20 handicapped cabins on the whole ship. I have to book a year in advance to get one. If they happen to have a handicapped cabin available and it is in a higher category than your current cabin you will need to pay the difference. If it is an lower class you will probably get a refund or an on board credit. Call them and see but I really doubt any are going to be available. I hate to be a Debbie downer but when you are handicapped you find out how difficult it is to get accessible accommodations.

How will I get off the ship and down the dock to any excursions?

The cruise line will help you get down the ramp and on to the Pier but that is all. You will need to use your wheelchair to get down the dock. You will need to wheel yourself or get your friends to push you.

When we stop at Labadee will they help me get to any beach?

I bet they will have beach wheelchairs but call RCCL and ask. I don't know anything about Labadee.

Basically, what will RCCL do and how do I get them to do it?

Don't depend on the cruise line to do much. You will have to rely on yourself and the people who are traveling with you to help you.

We only have one excursion through RCCL-the zip line in San Juan. The medical people strongly suggest I try and cancel since I cannot walk uphill or stop myself with one foot.

No way can you zip line with a broken leg. Cancel this for yourself immediately.

Will RCCL let me out of it—and my three friends as well?

You need to call RCCL and explain you broke your leg. I'm sure they will let you cancel. Not sure about your friends.

Are you sure you will be able to do these? How are you going to get on the sailboat and powerboat? How are you going to get to these excursions? Is you cast able to get wet? Where are you going to leave your wheelchair while you are on these excursions?

Thankfully you are traveling with friends. You are going to need to depend on them to help you. RCCL will help you to get on the ship and off the ship but not much else. Thankfully most everything on the ship will be handicapped accessible. They should have accessible public restrooms, accessible seating in the theater etc.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Please keep us updated. We are happy to help with any other questions. Good Luck.

I cannot get my money back from RCCL so I have to make the cruise. My questions to you are: will RCCL lend me a wheelchair? Will RCCL help me get from the dock through security and onto the ship? Will they move me to a handicap accessible room at no charge? How will I get off the ship and down the dock to any excursions? When we stop at Labadee will they help me get to any beach? Basically, what will RCCL do and how do I get them to do it?

I can not add much more than the others have already said. However, I do want to tell you that being handicapped does not give you any preferential treatment just equal treatment. RCCL will have thousands of people on this cruise, many will be handicapped and RCCL will not be able to offer you any personal assistance. They can not and will not help you in your cabin, take you anywhere on the ship, help you down the dock, to excursions, to beaches etc. The limit of their help is to get you on the ship and off of the ship. Make sure to tell your friends before you go that you will need their help.

This trip is really going to be a crash course on disabled issues. Thank goodness yours will only be temporary.

Have a great cruise.

What a terrible thing to happen. I'm sure your dad is devastated as well.

There is no way I would go ziplining with a broken leg, you should cancel that and get your money back. I believe there are beach wheelchairs at the beach that your buddies can push you in. As others have said, rent a wheelchair from a local mobility store so you have it in the airports, etc.

Have them push you right up to the door of the plane and they will store it in the belly of the plane and be waiting for you when you deplane.

All I can do is agree with the posters that said RCI will only help you get to the ship and then back off. They don't have chiars to lend to guests, not do they have staff that will push you along. Your friends will have to do that. Now that said, please do make sure your friends know they will have to help you. It may cause a little friction, for instance, you may be ready to leave the disco, or theater or whatever and they may not want to leave just yet, so what do you do? You may want to do to the Windjammer for lunch, they may not be ready to go, what do you do? It can present a few problems, but it will certainly be a test of friendship. Another think like the zipline, they may also be signed up, I hope they still go, and not hold back because you are unable to go, you may not even be able to get off the ship. You paid for your cruise, just like they paid for theirs, so naturally they are entitled to go and do excursions, go and do things they have been looking forward too, please do not make them feel like they have to baby sit you. I speak from experience.

I hope you are still able to go and make the best of the situation. Take some books along, you might have lots of time to read. The most important thing to keep in mind is to take care of that leg! You don't want to set yourself back by injuring it again.

You might consider renting an electric scooter. THis way you can maneuver around yourself, and you do not have to depend on anyone to push you. Plus you will be able to come and go as you please. There are companies that will deliver the scooter to your stateroom and then pick it up after the cruise.

Good luck.

Annieeee

Agree with all the other posters.

Only addition would be ..... If you decide to go forward with cruise than suggest :

• If unable to get a HC accessible cabin, than request to be added to the HC Accessible Cabin waitlist. It's a long shot but miracles do happen.
  • If you remain in your original cabin than contact the Special Needs Department at RCCL and request a shower/tub stool. This will be provided free of charge and will make it easier for you when bathing/showering.
  • Pack large plastic bags to wrap your cast in as it shouldn't get wet when showering.
  • You need to rent a collapsable wheel chair so you can get it through the door of a standard cabin.
  • It's significantly cheaper to rent a wheel chair locally and bring it on the airplane with you, than to rent through RCCL approved provider.
  • Contact the airlines and advise them of your situation . You need to try to get re-seated in one of the bulk head aisle seats. Do this now. Don't wait till you get to the airport... do this now. If the agent says no , than hang up and talk to another agent.

RCCL may let you reschedule your cruise. Traveling with a recently broken leg is a miserable experience. You won't be able to use the toilets on the plane (the flight attendants won't help you at all. They aren't allowed to.)

What you will be if you take this cruise is HUMBLE at all the issues that disaabled people face daily.

Take care of that leg!

Everyone is giving you very good advice. You should be able to cancel the zip line tour if you made it with RCCL. A sail boat would be a real problem getting on and off of it....not to speak about using the head if it has one.

The beach is not a good place for a cast. Sand and water in the cast can be very uncomfortable...even if its a waterproof cast.

If you want to check out renting a wheelchair or scooter I have used Carevacations.com

when on RCCL ships. They are very reliable, but you usually need to schedule the w/c or scooter a few weeks before the cruise date. The idea to rent one at home if excellent you will need it at the airport and getting to the ship.

When you get to the ship, you can ask for someone to push you to your cabin, its easier if you have your own w/c with you. They will also help you leave the ship. But that is all. You need to be able to walk onto the tenders (if you have any tender ports) and it would not be easy with crutches as the tenders are sometimes a moving target.

Having a broken leg will really put a damper on this cruise...but most cruises beat work or school any day. A cast will bring all kinds of questions...just think of all the new people you will meet.

Good Luck...its not the end of the world but it may seem like it when you have put so much planning into this cruise.

1. Pain meds...make sure you have plenty

2. Is there a chance you can rent a little scooter? You won't have to worry about getting around.

3. Make sure you elevate you leg as much as possible...!! You don't want to have problems with swelling and your cast.

4. Be careful of the beach. I doubt you have a orthopedic on board that could re-do your cast if you get it wet...

Good luck...

I book a cruise 6 weeks out and was assigned a HC room not need Even if the rooms are now assigned the "might " be able to swap you out with an able body HC room occupent. I know I would swaped with out a question

I was also been assigned an HC cabin when I booked a guarantee. If RCI does not have any accessible cabins, ask to be waitlisted. Then, go over to your cruise roll call to tell your tale. If you are really, really luck, an able bodied person has an accessible cabin to trade. Long shot, but perhaps your luck is due to change.

If you haven't already rent a wheelchiar, ultra light weight. It will travel for free on airlines.

You can cancel your tour before hand (phone if more then 10 days out). If you can not cancel ahead cancel as soon as you get on the ship.

Labadee has beach wheelchairs to get you to sports on beach. Put your wheelchair near you and have friend push you to ship after.

Which type of cast do you have, can it get wet?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to go on a sailboat. If you cannot put any weight on the leg, you may have a very difficult, if not impossible time, getting into and off the sailboat.

Instead of a wheelchair, rent a Pride Go Go Elite scooter, from CareVacations. When I had a recent triple fracture in my knee, and couldn't have any weight bearing, the scooter was fantastic. With a scooter, you won't need any assistance getting on or off the ship, not even in ports.

Your other problem is going to be showering. If you can't get your cast wet, you're going to be doing some sponge bathing.

Talk to RCCI again and tell them that you absolutely cannot do this cruise without an accessible cabin. Ask to speak to a supervisor. At the very least, they may be able to flip your cruise to a different date once your better.

Sorry, but this is going to be a very challenging cruise for you.

Shower tip: Unless you are allowed to get it wet, be sure to ask for a water-resistant cast cover. Your orthopedic doctor or hospital should be able to write for one and/or help you get one. The covers have a rubber diaphragm to keep water out while you are in the shower. The cast cover made my life so much easier when I broke my ankle.

The OP did not respond here and don't even know if she read this thread but she did post on her roll call........

RCCL could not have been nicer about my recent leg break--got the handicap room and rented a scooter. I promise to be considerate and conscientious of my fellow able-bodied cruisemates and do my best to keep the scooter out of everyone's way:D

I'll see you at the meet and mingle--i'll have streamers on my scooter handlebars vaaaroooom!

Kitty

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure it's a good idea to go on a sailboat. If you cannot put any weight on the leg, you may have a very difficult, if not impossible time, getting into and off the sailboat.

Instead of a wheelchair, rent a Pride Go Go Elite scooter, from CareVacations. When I had a recent triple fracture in my knee, and couldn't have any weight bearing, the scooter was fantastic. With a scooter, you won't need any assistance getting on or off the ship, not even in ports.

Your other problem is going to be showering. If you can't get your cast wet, you're going to be doing some sponge bathing.

Talk to RCCI again and tell them that you absolutely cannot do this cruise without an accessible cabin. Ask to speak to a supervisor. At the very least, they may be able to flip your cruise to a different date once your better.

Sorry, but this is going to be a very challenging cruise for you.

Hi Kitty....

We're scheduled out of San Juan on April 25th, and on March 1st my wife fell and fractured her kneecap, requiring two operations. She's finally home now and we have the okay for her to travel, but she'll need a chair or scooter on the ship (Caribbean Princess). She is weight-bearing on her leg but will be in a huge brace for another six +/- weeks and can only walk short distances with a crutch or hopefully a cane by the time we sail. Her stitches came out last Tuesday but is still wrapped for now. We did manage to get a HC cabin so that will be much easier for her. How much was the scooter rental you mentioned and does that company, CareVacations, have a web site? I like that idea better than a chair!

Thanks for your assistance. You can respond directly to my address below.

.....Steve

(N1NQR at arrl dot net)

I like that idea better than a chair!

I hope your wife is healing well! You might want to go to a local store that sells chairs and scooters, and see which one is easier for her to get in and out of. Typically with a wheelchair you can stand in front of it and just sit (make sure the brakes are on! :eek:), but with a scooter you have to swing your leg over (unless the seat swivels...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was told by a cruiser that crutches are not allowed on ships. Is this true? My DS has a knee injury that requires him to be non-weight bearing and he has been on crutches for 4 weeks, hoping by our July 4th cruise on the FOS that he will be at least able to walk. If not, we need to take his crutches . . . . any info would help :)

I was told by a cruiser that crutches are not allowed on ships. Is this true? My DS has a knee injury that requires him to be non-weight bearing and he has been on crutches for 4 weeks, hoping by our July 4th cruise on the FOS that he will be at least able to walk. If not, we need to take his crutches . . . . any info would help :)

Crutches definitely are allowed! Why would they not be?? Your source isn't accurate! Now, when he goes through security, either at the port or at the airport, they'll have to be scanned, but then returned to him right away.

Given how large cruise ships are..and the distances just between a cabin and the dining room...you really should consider getting a folding wheelchair to take with you, or rent one to have on the ship. Presumably you don't have a handicap-accessible cabin (so a scooter won't work!) but at least he could roll up to the door of the cabin, get out, get on his crutches, you could collapse (fold) the chair up and stow it inside the cabin until he needs it again.

I hope his knee heals. Joint injuries are challenging!

Archived