car rental info needed

casperbks

we are planning on renting a car in Maui, Kauai and Kona. If possible can someone tell me how much they cost to rent and WHERE you pick them up at?? Please can you tell me what routes to take in those towns to see the most that is available// Thank you so very much for your kindness....:confused:

You need a guidebook...that way, you'll know something about where you're going....right now, it sounds like you have no clue what you want to see and do!

read up on the islands... The book will have info on the sights and activities....and on car rentals, buses, etc.... Libraries have guidebooks, but if you buy one, you'll have access to the maps that come in them!

You do NOT want to hop ashore "blind"...not knowing ANYTHING about what you want to see or do...because you will end up seeing and doing nothing!

Research! That's KEY!!!

Edited by cb at sea

A little reading down the board would find threads like this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2156487

In summary, at all of your stops, you will be shuttled off site to pick up the car. Kona has one rental vender in a hotel near where you come ashore.

As to cost, that can vary, so a little research can get you the prices pretty quickly.

we are planning on renting a car in Maui, Kauai and Kona. If possible can someone tell me how much they cost to rent and WHERE you pick them up at?? Please can you tell me what routes to take in those towns to see the most that is available// Thank you so very much for your kindness....:confused:

It would probably help to know what ship you are on. The ports in Maui are different depending on the cruise line. Not sure what applies for docking in Lahaina, but for the POA, there will be a shuttle pick up area at the docks in Maui and Kauai. The airports are very close by. Just get the shuttle of the company you booked with. They run continuous loops. Not sure what applies in Kona. i seem to recall there was a hotel location which was the closer option.

You will find that Discount Hawaii Car Rentals website is highly recommended on the boards here. Click where it indicates "for cruise ship passengers" or "for pier pick up". You will actually make the reservation with the company you choose, but still get the discount. Depending on the type of car, $30 a day is probably a good estimate. I don't know if you overnight in port. If so, you can keep it overnight and park at or near the peir. You pay nothing up front on the website, no penalties for cancellations.

Everything you need to know about the islands can be found very easily on the Internet. We had not a single guide book. Just google each island and start exploring. You will find a ton of info on the top sites, maps, etc. Trip Advisor is a good site to check out.

Edited by punkincc