Solo Cruiser/New Cruiser

Panda014

~Firstly I would like to thank zoncom for nicely telling me what not to post and Earl Colby Pottinger for enlightening me that finding strangers to go with you on cruises may not be the best thing or at least what you'd expect.

Now I am a new cruiser/solo cruiser and have a few questions so please help me out if you can...

1. What can I do to make solo cruises easier? I really want to go and may not have someone to go with or at least not all the time. Is it better to go with someone the first time or just bite the bullet and go and hope for the best?

2. I'm really interested in traveling on something like a world cruise, but first I want to try cruising first to see if I even like it. I wonder if anyone knows which ones would be best for someone going solo and if anyone knows of cheap options or if they do solo room cruises (meaning I just pay for something like a solo dorm instead of paying 200%)?

3. Also I'm not sure what a single cruise entails but if I go solo I would want to relax but still have fun and the part about no kids sounds good but will it just be like a bunch of people hitting on each other or are some like that or are all o them just too different to predict?

4. Lastly after reading all this do you think it is best for someone who is a solo/ new cruiser to just go solo their first time, wait for someone to go with me (I can probably find someone to go during 2016 at some point), or go on a singles cruise...or all of the above X)

A lot will depend on your personality and whether you've ever done any solo traveling before. But here are my thoughts:

1. What can I do to make solo cruises easier? I really want to go and may not have someone to go with or at least not all the time. Is it better to go with someone the first time or just bite the bullet and go and hope for the best?

I think it's better to travel alone than travel with someone who is a bad fit as a travel-mate (even best friends can sometimes be bad travel mates.) Cruises are actually a good type of first solo vacation - if it is your first solo vacation- given that you've got some built-in activities, dining companions, and travel plans (if you want them).

2. I'm really interested in traveling on something like a world cruise, but first I want to try cruising first to see if I even like it. I wonder if anyone knows which ones would be best for someone going solo and if anyone knows of cheap options or if they do solo room cruises (meaning I just pay for something like a solo dorm instead of paying 200%)?

No one has "dorms" like a hostel, but there are are a few lines that have rooms built only for solo occupancy (NCL is the main one in the US market). No one can tell you which voyage or ship will be "best" for someone going solo, since solo passengers are not all the same....we want different things and prioritize things differently. What I think of as the best value for a solo cruiser might be the wrong ship and voyage for another solo cruiser.

3. Also I'm not sure what a single cruise entails but if I go solo I would want to relax but still have fun and the part about no kids sounds good but will it just be like a bunch of people hitting on each other or are some like that or are all o them just too different to predict?

There's a difference between a "singles' cruise" and an adult-only cruise - none of the North American-based lines have adult-only cruises, but there are some cruise lines that offer adult-only ships and voyages (I know P&O does this). You will find some (many?) solo cruisers aren't single anyhow. To minimize the number of children on board, try to cruise during the school year, and choose a a cruise over 10 days with fewer ports.

4. Lastly after reading all this do you think it is best for someone who is a solo/ new cruiser to just go solo their first time, wait for someone to go with me (I can probably find someone to go during 2016 at some point), or go on a singles cruise...or all of the above X)

I would not recommend a singles' cruise, but I highly recommend traveling (including cruising) solo rather than waiting until you can find a travel mate. Better to vacation alone than stay home, and you might find you prefer it.

Thanks for your reply it was really detailed and helpful. A quick question though, why wouldn't you recommend a singles cruise? Also what exactly is a singles cruise? I thought I knew but after reading your comments I'm not quite sure anymore...sorry I guess that was two questions :p

I'm a solo traveler. The hosted singles cruises organize different events. Folks were identified by wearing beaded necklaces with their names. My impression was that everyone was trying really hard to hook up. That's not why I cruise. So, the simple answer is, if you're looking for the Love Boat, take a hosted singles cruise. If you travel by yourself, there are many options. Carnival does a great job seating solos together, and NCL has studio cabins and a dedicated solo cruise director.

Thanks for your reply it was really detailed and helpful. A quick question though, why wouldn't you recommend a singles cruise? Also what exactly is a singles cruise? I thought I knew but after reading your comments I'm not quite sure anymore...sorry I guess that was two questions :p

A singles cruise will be more for those who are looking to hook up and/or start a relationship, and unless that's your goal for your vacation I would not recommend you take a singles cruise. It sounds like you're not looking for that, but forgive me if I'm wrong.

Okay thank you that is what I wanted to know. I wouldn't have even been looking this up but my friend wanted to go on a singles cruise because of kids being around but it seems like there are ways around that without going on a singles cruise. Since I really just want to enjoy the cruise and not be hit on.

Okay thank you that is what I wanted to know. I wouldn't have even been looking this up but my friend wanted to go on a singles cruise because of kids being around but it seems like there are ways around that without going on a singles cruise. Since I really just want to enjoy the cruise and not be hit on.

Then you don't want a singles cruise. If the kids bother you, it's best to avoid booking a cruise when they're off from school. So stay away from the summer and major holidays. I usually book a week that's just before or right after a holiday.

The benefit (besides lack of kids) is that they're usually cheaper.

Edited by JoePatNYCT