Akaroa Farm Tour

jmb4534

I need some advice from some of you New Zealand natives, please. On our upcoming cruise I would really like to see a working sheep farm and I think I've found what I'm looking for with the "Akaroa Farm Tour". If I can find another couple to join us I think the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but much less than an all day ship tour. They will transport from the pier and back. My concern is that if we choose to do this tour it will take ALL of our day in Christchurch. I've heard that the drive to Akaroa is spectacular though. In your opinions, is this trip worth the time and money?

Thank you, Janelle

Hi Janelle,

We're on MERCURY in February (Feb. 8. in Christchurch) and are interested in the farm tour excursion. Since I don't think that we are on the same cruise, would you please list a website or link to the farm tour that you've found. Most of the ones I've looked into won't pick up in Lyttelton. Thanks.

I need some advice from some of you New Zealand natives, please. On our upcoming cruise I would really like to see a working sheep farm and I think I've found what I'm looking for with the "Akaroa Farm Tour". If I can find another couple to join us I think the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but much less than an all day ship tour. They will transport from the pier and back. My concern is that if we choose to do this tour it will take ALL of our day in Christchurch. I've heard that the drive to Akaroa is spectacular though. In your opinions, is this trip worth the time and money?

Thank you, Janelle

Janelle....take a look at www.discoverytravel.co.nz They do a tour to AKAROA with morning tea at a working sheep farm. Time to have a wander in the city....pick-up is shipside :) Will also customise to suit so perhaps can arrange for a little longer in Christchurch. Be prepared to spend HEAPS when you look at the blue pearl jewellery obtained from their Paua Shell "farm". Exquisite :p We are doing their Arthur's Pass tour...customised to allow time in Christchurch ;)

B E V

Sharon - try http://www.nzadventuretours.com or http://www.akaroafarmtours.com. I tried to book with nzadventuretours (this could be done in 1/2 day), but the farm tour for the day I wanted was already full. The Akaroa Farm Tour sounds great, but it is all day.

Bev - Thanks for the info. Is this the "Akaroa Scenic Tour" that includes a stop at a farm? I didn't see that in the description. But then I did just skim the info. The price looks reasonable. I don't want to have to get a group together, but I certainly don't mind going with a group of nice people! Do you know if it is a bus or large van?

Thank you! Janelle

Bev - Thanks for the info. Is this the "Akaroa Scenic Tour" that includes a stop at a farm? I didn't see that in the description. But then I did just skim the info. The price looks reasonable. I don't want to have to get a group together, but I certainly don't mind going with a group of nice people! Do you know if it is a bus or large van?

Thank you! Janelle

Janelle....you need to email Discovery Travel for details. They do tours for small groups - or up to 45! Perhaps you need to post it on your Roll Call and see what response you receive.

Hope it works for you ;)

B E V

Folks,

This discussion of excursions should be moved to your Roll Call. According to community guidelines, that's the only place where planning tours should be discussed. Thanks

Sheila.....thanks for outlining guidelines. Doesn't apply in this instance as we are on different Cruise lines/dates/Roll Calls :)

B E V

• 5 years later...

Almost exactly what we were looking for in a tour of a sheep farm. Murray regaled us of a great history of the Akaroa area, in which his family played a prominent role, and it painted the picture for us of how a modern sheep farm operates and survives there. His own story is incredible, and the farm itself is an amazing development considering it is all built by the family, most recently including Murray himself and Bruce, Murray's father-in-law. It still has structures from almost 100 years ago, though, and they are still in use. The economics of making a living on a farm, especially by raising sheep are very interesting, at least to a bunch of city folk who make a living by servicing computers and practicing medicine! Murray demonstrated shearing a sheep, and one of the dogs showed his stuff in rounding up a group of sheep at one end of a paddock and bringing them over to us with ease. I think our only suggestions were to have something alternative for kids during the initial talk, as it was too much for our little ones (ages 5, 8, and 10) to focus on for the entire time. Possible alternative activities could be spending time with the VERY personable sheep dogs, handling some of the sheep, and/or just running around outside with a parent or guardian (then maybe giving an abbreviated repeat of the history to the adult who missed the party). Sue's warm hospitality and excellent baking capped off the visit, and with Bruce as our van driver to/from downtown, we also got a bit of the history of the town along the way. We took this tour on a port call from the Celebrity Solstice, and it was not hard to arrange at all. Pickup and drop-off was super easy right from the pier, and they get you back in time for the last tender to the ship. Also, don't worry too much about my comments on the kids being bored - they are all pretty impatient and can stand to wait once in a while, plus they loved the other 80% of the tour. Excellent value for the cost, which is underpriced and I expect may go up - highly recommend!!