Buying a scooter need information

tigercat

I am in the process of buying a scooter. I will need it at home here but am looking at taking it on a cruise as well.

I have ridden and liked the GoGo LX with suspension. I have thought of getting the 4 wheel one for better stability. I realize that the 3 wheel will be better for the ship and if I do get a 4 wheel we will rent a 3 wheel for the cruises.

What are your experiences with the GoGo Pride scooters.

tigercat

I am in the process of buying a scooter. I will need it at home here but am looking at taking it on a cruise as well.

I have ridden and liked the GoGo LX with suspension. I have thought of getting the 4 wheel one for better stability. I realize that the 3 wheel will be better for the ship and if I do get a 4 wheel we will rent a 3 wheel for the cruises.

What are your experiences with the GoGo Pride scooters.

tigercat

You state that you will need it at home but what you don't say is whether or not you intend to use it in you home. Mobility scooters aren't really practical for in home use. Case in point I recently acquired a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler that was used only 1 time for an unheard of price of $450.00. The reason it was used only one time was that it was purchased for in-home use which the individual than realized was a big mistake. She needed a Power Chair instead.

I own two 3 Wheel Pride GoGo Elite travelers and have been very pleased. Personally like that it's overall weight is less than the Pride GoGo LX making it easier for me to break it down on my own and get into the back of my Honda CR-V. Though less stable than a 4 wheel being that I have good overall balance and dexterity I prefer the 3 wheel as its much easier for me to maneuver when shopping. Other than grocery stores and big box stores aisles in most stores have reduced in width to pack in more merchandise so as to increase $ sales per square foot. Thus making it harder to maneuver a 4 wheel scooter. For example very hard to maneuver a 4 wheel scooter through the maze of racks at stores to likes of Kohl's, Macy's, Nordstrom's .

Whether or not you should purchase a 4 vs. 3 wheel depends greatly on your own ability as well as what you intend to use it mostly for. Only you along with your physical therapist can make that decision and should not be based on responses from this forum

When I said at home I meant around my area and in stores. It would not be a good idea to try and use it in my house, no room.

I guess I was looking for any problems or things that are liked about the scooter.

tigercat

I own a 3-wheel Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus and take it on airplanes land vacations and cruise ships. Buy owning vs. renting it's always available to travel through the airport and other long walk areas. It also pays for itself rather quickly vs. renting one for each cruise. Buy what feels comfortable, but I suggest you take it with you when you travel.

I am going to go to the store and try both the 3 and the 4 wheel scooters out. I will try them out in the parking lot and around the plaza that is there. I am hoping that it will be enough to make my decision. I am starting to lean towards the 3 wheel one so that I don't have to rent one when we go on our cruises. A 4 wheel one would be better here most of the time but I need the 3 wheel one away. I was also thinking that in some cases (probably in most cases) the 3 wheel tighter cornering one would be better in stores here as well. I have good balance so that isn't a problem.

The LX with suspension is very easy to take apart. I will also do that at the store to see how I will be able to handle it. I will take it apart and put it together several times. As well try and lift the battery to see if I can do that.

Thanks for any input that you have given me. It is a lot of money (although insurance is paying for it) and a big decision for me. I just want to get it right.

tigercat

I have found this thread very helpful. We are considering purchasing a scooter for my husband for our cruise next year but didn't really know what would be best for flights and on the ship. He has Parkinsons and has never used a scooter but cannot walk long distances and has good days and bad days when his legs have very little power. Balance is a problem for him so based on what has been said I think he would need to go for four wheels. Glad I read all the comments here.

I am going to go to the store and try both the 3 and the 4 wheel scooters out. I will try them out in the parking lot and around the plaza that is there. I am hoping that it will be enough to make my decision. I am starting to lean towards the 3 wheel one so that I don't have to rent one when we go on our cruises. A 4 wheel one would be better here most of the time but I need the 3 wheel one away. I was also thinking that in some cases (probably in most cases) the 3 wheel tighter cornering one would be better in stores here as well. I have good balance so that isn't a problem.

The LX with suspension is very easy to take apart. I will also do that at the store to see how I will be able to handle it. I will take it apart and put it together several times. As well try and lift the battery to see if I can do that.

Thanks for any input that you have given me. It is a lot of money (although insurance is paying for it) and a big decision for me. I just want to get it right.

tigercat

Suggest you also try to find a narrow hallway as often encounter on cruise ships and attempt to turn into a doorway particularly using the 4 wheel model . The wider turning radius require for the 4 wheel model s going to greatly impact attempting to complete that maneuver .

Just bought a 4 wheel power scooter Zoome.

36x18x37. folds up to smaller than my suitcase and only weighs 55 lbs.

I can ride it in the house and it turns around as good as my manual wheelchair.

Will be taking it on a cruise in Oct. and will report back if that is not to late.

Any questions please ask.

I just went to the store to try the 4 and 3 wheel out. Outside was the marking for wheelchair parking that had lines. It was a little smaller than the corridor of a ship and the other markings for the door were a little bigger. I used that to see if I could maneuver them into the doorway. I am able to do both. I go back with my husband on Sat. and this time I am going to take chalk to really mark a doorway to see if that makes a difference. I am really good at parking so I can move it around. They didn't have the scooter I am looking at buying today but will most likely have them on Sat. They did have comparable ones to drive around.

tigercat

I ended up buying a 4 wheel Go Go Elite Traveler. It is just a little smaller width wide than the LX and it is also a little lighter. I can really maneuver it and we tried it out with a 21 inch "door way" I was fine getting it in there. I can back it up and turn it with no problems. I was told that I could paint the decals pink so that is what we are going to do. I wasn't as keen on the 3 wheel one and had no problems with the 4 wheels. They order it on Monday so I should have it on about Wed. or Thurs. I can't wait. The places I can go. Freedom LOL

tigercat

I ended up buying a 4 wheel Go Go Elite Traveler. It is just a little smaller width wide than the LX and it is also a little lighter. I can really maneuver it and we tried it out with a 21 inch "door way" I was fine getting it in there. I can back it up and turn it with no problems. I was told that I could paint the decals pink so that is what we are going to do. I wasn't as keen on the 3 wheel one and had no problems with the 4 wheels. They order it on Monday so I should have it on about Wed. or Thurs. I can't wait. The places I can go. Freedom LOL

tigercat

Think you'll be very happy with it. I own the 3 Wheel Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Scooter. Love it! Able to easily take it apart to load in/out of my Honda CR-V. People are always amazed watching me do it.

Regarding painting the panels pink - A friend of mine had hers painted pink and she had one painted yellow. She even took the panels to an auto body shop to be painted with automotive paint. It's unfortunate that Pride only offers the pink panels for the LTD Edition Breast Cancer LX model.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Think you'll be very happy with it. I own the 3 Wheel Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Scooter. Love it! Able to easily take it apart to load in/out of my Honda CR-V. People are always amazed watching me do it.

Regarding painting the panels pink - A friend of mine had hers painted pink and she had one painted yellow. She even took the panels to an auto body shop to be painted with automotive paint. It's unfortunate that Pride only offers the pink panels for the LTD Edition Breast Cancer LX model.

I'm glad to hear that you love your scooter. It was a hard decision to make because I was afraid of making the wrong one. This has to last me a long while. Maybe I will take mine to an auto body shop and find out how much it would cost me to get them painted. Some sparkles would be nice as well LOL At least mine will stand out among all the other red and blue scooters. I love pink.

tigercat

I'm glad to hear that you love your scooter. It was a hard decision to make because I was afraid of making the wrong one. This has to last me a long while. Maybe I will take mine to an auto body shop and find out how much it would cost me to get them painted. Some sparkles would be nice as well LOL At least mine will stand out among all the other red and blue scooters. I love pink.

tigercat

Two of my nieces are artists and would love for one of them to custom paint mine. Would pay them for their time and materials but between raising kids and both being full High School Art Teachers neither has the time. I can dream though ;)

A custom paint job for the whole thing would be really neat. You wouldn't have a problem finding your own scooter that way right. I have 2 granddaughters who are artists but they are both young and do interesting things. Not sure they would know what to do though. As well one lives almost 10 hrs. away from me right now.

The biggest thing I am starting to have to deal with though is that people are remarking that they would never get a scooter. It makes you look so old. I am 60 and they say that it will make me look 80. I figure it is better for me to be able to do things and get out and if people are going to think like that it is their problem not mine. I didn't chose the medical conditions I have they chose me.

tigercat

A custom paint job for the whole thing would be really neat. You wouldn't have a problem finding your own scooter that way right. I have 2 granddaughters who are artists but they are both young and do interesting things. Not sure they would know what to do though. As well one lives almost 10 hrs. away from me right now.

The biggest thing I am starting to have to deal with though is that people are remarking that they would never get a scooter. It makes you look so old. I am 60 and they say that it will make me look 80. I figure it is better for me to be able to do things and get out and if people are going to think like that it is their problem not mine. I didn't chose the medical conditions I have they chose me.

tigercat

Tigercat

The comment that comes to mind occurred 4 years ago. I was rolling out of the elevator on RCCL's Jewel when the woman behind me said to her friend .... "Those kind of people shouldn't be allowed on cruise ships". Oh I responded back just as her husband came up the steps and said what has she done now? My friend told him and his response was that he just didn't understand why his wife had no compassion for people with disabilities. My friend replied than you better pray nothing happens to your wife as your life will be miserable.

MS chose me that's why I use a scooter. My Doctors said it best. Using a mobility scooter doesn't mean you've given in or are old. Rather it allows you to continue to do the things that bring joy to your life.

Ignore all the comments.

Enjoy rolling along !!!

Pat

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks for that. My husband is thrilled that we are finally going to have a scooter for me. He is tired of seeing how much pain I am in and that I don't want to go anywhere because I can't walk.

tigercat

Thanks for that. My husband is thrilled that we are finally going to have a scooter for me. He is tired of seeing how much pain I am in and that I don't want to go anywhere because I can't walk.

tigercat

Please come back and let us know how things are going with scooter after having a while.

If you fast forward to the 54 sec. mark in this link

you see how the GoGo breaks down. Has a 3 wheel in the video but it's the same for the 4 wheel. If you have an SUV or Van you may not even have to collapse the tiller.

...The biggest thing I am starting to have to deal with though is that people are remarking that they would never get a scooter. It makes you look so old....

As my father used to say, "You wouldn't worry so much what other people think about you, if you knew how seldom they did."

tigercat

I don't understand people being so inconsiderate. I am glad when I see someone enjoying their scooter. It does give more freedom. I have an electric wheelchair and on our last cruise it was the first time I used it. It was great being able to go the whole length of the ship. I didn't enjoy getting on and off he elevators though.

Enjoy your scooter and have a great time on your next cruise.

BTW, my DH enjoyed me having my wheelchair because it was easier on him.

I bought my wife a Solax Transformer and she loves it. We have taken it on 2 cruises now. It folds and unfolds with the push of a button. It us small enough when folded that we take it on the plane and sit it in the bottom of the closet in front of first class.

We already had a Pride Gogo Elite which is great for around town but the Solax is much much easier to travel with.

:)

I love my pride gogo elite traveler,.and we take it everywhere. It's three wheel and has a tight turning circle and can be disassembled easily if necessary.

We also have a GoGo elite traveler. It is the 4 wheel model, they are a little more stable. DH loves it. He uses it when we go on cruises. He learned how to back it into our cabin and although tight squeeze, found a place to keep it in the cabin. A bit of information -- if anyone is a veteran, they will supply a scooter for you, free of charge, if it is medically necessary. DH has COPD and also uses oxygen 24/7, and can't walk far at all. we have found room in front of his legs to carry his POC. Works very well for us. He can also ride it right up to the door of the airplane and they will store it in the baggage area, and bring it back to him when the plane lands. We have had no problems at all with this. hope thisi s helpful for you. Nan