Cab tours from the port

Tidman

We're a group of 4 that will be in Dominica on Dec 23rd. So far I haven't had great luck getting responses from the more popular tour companies, so I'm wondering what people's experiences have been in just trying to pick up a "cab tour" at the port? We've had mixed results at other ports, what is Dominica like?

• 3 months later...

Can you (and anyone else) tell us what your experience was?

How much can we expect to pay for a tour booked at the pier? What sights did you go see? Did you go to any beach and get picked up later? Did you have time to tour the Botanical Gardens?

Thanks -

Maddle

Can you (and anyone else) tell us what your experience was?

How much can we expect to pay for a tour booked at the pier? What sights did you go see? Did you go to any beach and get picked up later? Did you have time to tour the Botanical Gardens?

Thanks -

Maddle

Would LOVE the same help as Maddle! Where? What is the cost? About how long? Anyone out there willing to help? :)

On a previous trip to Dominica, I organized a private custom 6 1/2 hour central island tour with a group on our roll call touring w/ Reyno -- Including the Kalinago(Carib) territory/model village, the tour also made stops at the Emerald Pool, a couple more waterfalls (among other central island stops/locations). We additionally did a Botanical Garden drive-thru as well as the Morne Bruce lookout/viewpoint back in Roseau.

On our last trip to Dominica, I decided to make plans to go down to Scotts Head to hike the hill, do some snorkeling in the bay, and then have lunch in the small village there. The DW (having enjoyed our previous tour in the lush Dominican countryside) also wanted to go up into the jungle a bit and maybe check out another waterfall, since we had skipped seeing Trafalgar Falls/Titou Gorge/Sulphur Pools the last time we were on the island.

I had researched/contacted a few different popular private tour guides a couple of months before sailing to see if it would be possible to arrange for a tour that included a quick trip up into the hills and then back down for the rest of the day in Scotts Head.

None offered a set (shared)itinerary that included this option, only going as far South as Champagne Reef instead -- being their primary snorkeling site. We didn't really want to go to CR -- Knowing that the snorkeling is not only better at Scotts Head, it's also not crowded like CR with all of the tours that visit there.

We could have arranged for a private tour/driver for only the two if us, but it would have been too cost prohibitive to do so having to pay for the driver to wait for us for the hours spent at Scotts Head.

Usually I like to set up private (individual or shared) tours well in advance of sailing, but after realizing that we could just local bus it to Scotts Head ourselves for $2 a piece, I decided we would just wing it and wait until arriving to see of we could negotiate a short inland tour with a taxi-driver at the port.

There are plenty of drivers ready, willing and available upon leaving the port gates. I found one guy...well he found us...willing to give the two of us a 2 hour tour up to the falls and sulphur springs for $100. At that point, I played broker, and rounded up another couple nearby also considering a shorter tour for the AM. At $25 pp, the price was right, and the four of us set off in his nice, clean A/C van. We also went through the Botanical Gardens on our return, since the other couple had never been there before.

So to answer your question...Yes. You should have no problem finding a private tour with a driver for the day at the port. I would suggest having a general idea of what locations you would like to visit, and be prepared to negotiate for a fair price.

For a 4-5 hour tour, I would negotiate for around $200-$250 for a private driver. With four people that would make the cost around $50-$60 per person. Understand that some of the sites have admission fees for a nominal price(usually around $5 pp) -- that would be extra on top of the arranged tour price.

Edited by Skai