Advice on Siena,Assisi and Florence

kborth

We are the spring TA and would like to visit these towns and stay for 1or 2nights after Rome. Any suggestions for accommodation would be welcome. We stayed in a convent in Rome and loved it so perhaps would like to stay in them in these cities, found convents very good value for money,would help to extend our trip if you know what I mean...

Here are two you can check out in Assisi:

ALBERGO ANCAJANI

Via Ancajani 16, 06081 Assisi,

Tel: 075.815128; Fax: 075.815129; E-mail: albergoancajani@libero.it

Located just 200 meters from the Basilica of Saint Francis, the restored convent of the Poor Sisters of the Holy Stigmata is a real find! Rooms have private baths and telephones. Breakfast is not included. Other meals are available on request.

SAINT ANTHONY GUEST HOUSE,

Via Galeazzo Alessi 10, 06081 Assisi.

Tel. 075..812.542; Fax: 075.813.723.

E-mail: atoneassisi@tiscalinet.it.

Run by the American Atonement Sisters, this lovely retreat house also takes pilgrims and tourists, and overlooks the Basilica of St. Claire. They offer parking, a chapel, a library and a conference room. Rooms have private bath and breakfast is included. There is a two night minimum stay policy. Curfew is at 11:00 PM.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html#Assisi

Here are two you can check out in Assisi:

ALBERGO ANCAJANI

Via Ancajani 16, 06081 Assisi,

Tel: 075.815128; Fax: 075.815129; E-mail: albergoancajani@libero.it

Located just 200 meters from the Basilica of Saint Francis, the restored convent of the Poor Sisters of the Holy Stigmata is a real find! Rooms have private baths and telephones. Breakfast is not included. Other meals are available on request.

SAINT ANTHONY GUEST HOUSE,

Via Galeazzo Alessi 10, 06081 Assisi.

Tel. 075..812.542; Fax: 075.813.723.

E-mail: atoneassisi@tiscalinet.it.

Run by the American Atonement Sisters, this lovely retreat house also takes pilgrims and tourists, and overlooks the Basilica of St. Claire. They offer parking, a chapel, a library and a conference room. Rooms have private bath and breakfast is included. There is a two night minimum stay policy. Curfew is at 11:00 PM.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html#Assisi

Thanks so much! My knee just went out and I sure hope I can get around the way I want to, if you know what I mean. Kathi

It doesn't make sense to go into Rome to take the train to Siena if you're starting from Civitavecchia; from there you'd head north by train to Grosetto, where you'd change to a train for Siena.

The most sensible order of the cities would probably depend on what airport you'll be leaving from afterwards.

It doesn't make sense to go into Rome to take the train to Siena if you're starting from Civitavecchia; from there you'd head north by train to Grosetto, where you'd change to a train for Siena.

The most sensible order of the cities would probably depend on what airport you'll be leaving from afterwards.

We are staying for a few days in Rome but I can't get a flight until the Friday after so I thought of travelling around the north and flying home from Rome,

We are the spring TA and would like to visit these towns and stay for 1or 2nights after Rome. Any suggestions for accommodation would be welcome. We stayed in a convent in Rome and loved it so perhaps would like to stay in them in these cities, found convents very good value for money,would help to extend our trip if you know what I mean...

In Florence, I highly recommend the Hotel Balestori, which is not expensive, but four star and right on the Arno.

http://www.hotels.com/ho200751/hotel-balestri-florence-italy/?PSRC=G21&dateless=true&hotelid=200751&rffrid=sem.hcom.US.bing.003.00.02..kwrd%3DZzZz.J2WQbnWI.0.3271204426.1020x6k18082

If traveling from Rome to Siena, the bus is much easier than the train as the bus station is right in downtown Siena and the train station is quite a hike. Also, you have to switch trains but the bus is a direct 3, 3.5 hours.

If traveling from Rome to Siena, the bus is much easier than the train as the bus station is right in downtown Siena and the train station is quite a hike. Also, you have to switch trains but the bus is a direct 3, 3.5 hours.

Yes, if you're starting from Rome but not if you are beginning from Civitavecchia.

From Civitavecchia you take a train to Grosseto. From Grosseto you can take a bus (tiemmespa.it) to Siena, and a bus also from Siena to Florence (75 minutes each ride). From Florence to Roma you have the High speed train (90 minutes), either Italotreno or Frecciarossa