Bar crawl full :(!

beecruisin1214

We go on our cruise in 2 weeks and just found out about the bar hop on the far side of the island! And of course it's full the day we are in port :(. Is there another way to do something similar over there? We are so interested in seeing that side of the island and those bars!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We go on our cruise in 2 weeks and just found out about the bar hop on the far side of the island! And of course it's full the day we are in port :(. Is there another way to do something similar over there? We are so interested in seeing that side of the island and those bars!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ARe there just two in your group? Has Tom said it is closed for reservations or are you waitlisted?

If you cant take the hop you can always arrange your own tour. We use ToursPlaza, you can google for their website. They will take you wherever you want for a mininmum 3 hours hire. We have done both and enjoyed both. you can stop at all the bars on your own.

The advantage of your own tour is you can stop as long as you want at each place and you are on your own schedule. You can stop for photos ops or at other places. You can leave the tour up to the driver for suggestions or be very specific about the places YOU want to visit.

The advantage of the bar hop is it is well run, takes the stress out of planning and you enjoy the company of others (hopefully!). There are other modes of transport and companies you can use, or you can just pick up a taxi from the port but you should be sure to clarify cost before leaving and be specific about where you want to go.

As I said, we have done both take a private tour this time and try the bar hop next time round!

I have been to Cozumel many times and have done the bar hop several times. I don't drink but find this excursion to be a blast. I have also just got off the cruise ship went to where all the taxi's are and hired a taxi for the day. I find the price to be reasonable and the driver will take you to any of the bars on the back side of the island. Doing it this way is also a blast.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried to book this tour as well (for 1/31) and they are booked with ONE availability. There are 2 in my party. So, I emailed the company and Tom has put us on the wait list. Not holding my breath, but we'll see. The main reason we wanted to do this was not JUST the drinking but because it's way more fun with a group of people! I can't believe this is the only game in town when it comes to an organized "bar hop".

I just tried to book this tour as well (for 1/31) and they are booked with ONE availability. There are 2 in my party. So, I emailed the company and Tom has put us on the wait list. Not holding my breath, but we'll see. The main reason we wanted to do this was not JUST the drinking but because it's way more fun with a group of people! I can't believe this is the only game in town when it comes to an organized "bar hop".

I don't think it's the only one - I thought I remember another one advertised as well when I was searching for my April cruise. I'd google the term and see what else comes up - and also check trip advisor's coz tour section. (Just vet the reviews to make sure there's enough people that had a good experience.)

I've never heard a bad word about the original one everyone mentions here. (People cancel all the time for all sorts of reasons - and you only need 1 slot to open up...seems like decent odds.)

It might not have the same atmosphere as being on the bus or van with the other hoppers, but you can always hire a taxi for the day and hit the same bars while the hoppers are there. When we did the hop a couple of years ago we noticed some people from our ship had done that. We talked to them and they decided to do it that way in case they wanted to stay longer at one place. From what I remember the cost to hire the taxi was about what you'd pay for two people to do the hop. Hope you get to to go. It's one of the best excursions I've been on.

It might not have the same atmosphere as being on the bus or van with the other hoppers, but you can always hire a taxi for the day and hit the same bars while the hoppers are there. When we did the hop a couple of years ago we noticed some people from our ship had done that. We talked to them and they decided to do it that way in case they wanted to stay longer at one place. From what I remember the cost to hire the taxi was about what you'd pay for two people to do the hop. Hope you get to to go. It's one of the best excursions I've been on.

Yup - that's exactly what a few people on my roll call decided to do - I think they got together and hired a private driver that will be stopping at another place along the way as well - can't remember where. It was cheaper to boot, since 6 or 8 are pooling together to do this.

I'm sure they'll have a great time. Only reason I didn't inquire about joining was that I kinda wanted the original hop experience - I've heard such good things about the tour guide's personality and all the interesting things you learn along the way. It seemed like that was a big part of the experience - not just stopping at the various bars. I wasn't entirely sure a hired driver would be the same.

I guess there are different advantages to either choice - but in the end, you probably can't go wrong either way - a great way to spend the day.

Edited by Flafun888

Yup - that's exactly what a few people on my roll call decided to do - I think they got together and hired a private driver that will be stopping at another place along the way as well - can't remember where. It was cheaper to boot, since 6 or 8 are pooling together to do this.

I'm sure they'll have a great time. Only reason I didn't inquire about joining was that I kinda wanted the original hop experience - I've heard such good things about the tour guide's personality and all the interesting things you learn along the way. It seemed like that was a big part of the experience - not just stopping at the various bars. I wasn't entirely sure a hired driver would be the same.

I guess there are different advantages to either choice - but in the end, you probably can't go wrong either way - a great way to spend the day.

Yes we have done both and enjoyed both.

We have also done the private driver both as, just a couple and with a private family party.

I think arranging it privately with others from your roll call could work well but as always it depends on the group - probably better if someone from the group has gone before to give some direction, or take your lead from the driver. SOMEONE has to be in charge of time keeping and this is where direction from the Bar Hop host is good. They run a very efficient but fun tour.

It is interesting to hear that members of your roll call banded together because for some reason this rarely seems to happen on Cozumel, unlike other islands and ports of call.