Holding myself accountable - 69 days to go

LeeloLovesStitch

OK folks. Last year I lost about 25-30 lbs after a breakup. We are back together and happy, but from the combination of happiness, the stress of buying a house and getting a new job, a longer commute, and just all around laziness, I am back up in weight. Our cruise is 69 days out. All summer/early fall, I kept telling myself I wold portion control and eat better, but "I"ll start tomorrow!!" turned into "I'll start Monday!" which turned into "I'll just get through the busy workweek!" and so on.

I spend a lot of time lurking the boards but wanted to start a thread to hold myself accountable! In general, I hate talking about eating well and weight loss... and I think that is part of my problem. I am able to just hide it all away.

I know one of my downfalls is reverting to convenient fast food/take out. So help me out - what are your favorite plan ahead/easy to make/easy to clean up ideas? What's your go-to breakfast? What's your go-to work lunch?

69 days... a lot can change in 69 days and I am determined to see how much! I don't want to be ashamed to be in photos! So here we go!

OK folks. Last year I lost about 25-30 lbs after a breakup. We are back together and happy, but from the combination of happiness, the stress of buying a house and getting a new job, a longer commute, and just all around laziness, I am back up in weight. Our cruise is 69 days out. All summer/early fall, I kept telling myself I wold portion control and eat better, but "I"ll start tomorrow!!" turned into "I'll start Monday!" which turned into "I'll just get through the busy workweek!" and so on.

I spend a lot of time lurking the boards but wanted to start a thread to hold myself accountable! In general, I hate talking about eating well and weight loss... and I think that is part of my problem. I am able to just hide it all away.

I know one of my downfalls is reverting to convenient fast food/take out. So help me out - what are your favorite plan ahead/easy to make/easy to clean up ideas? What's your go-to breakfast? What's your go-to work lunch?

69 days... a lot can change in 69 days and I am determined to see how much! I don't want to be ashamed to be in photos! So here we go!

Hi, I have 60 days until my cruise and I'll be glad to see if I can be encouraging and join you in the holding myself accountable department. I had lost some weight in the summer and early fall and somehow put it back on again, not much, but still discouraging! I'd like to lose 10 pounds over the next 8 weeks; I'm only 5 feet tall so it doesn't take much for me to be overweight.

I like some protein in the morning, so I eat cottage cheese or a Greek yogurt with fruit or eggs along with 1/2 of a multigrain muffin. I also have a cooked cereal recipe that I make ahead and then warm in the morning. It is made from quinoa, steel cut oats, and a little dry fruit. I have a scale and when I'm really making an effort I weight EVERYTHING and track it in the tracker for my fit bit. This helps to ensure that I burn more calories than I take in each day. It only takes burning of 100-200 calories more than I have consumed daily to see some weight loss.

I also have found that I really don't lose if I don't exercise. I try for a minimum of 10000 steps a day and I just dusted off my Wii fit because winter's coming and I know I won't get outside once it's cold.

I hope this isn't too much information, but like you I think if I "get it out there" I'll be more likely to stick to it! Laurie

I would love to offer whatever help I can. For what it's worth, I'm a sports nutritionist that specializes in weight loss and lifestyle change... not dieting.

I know what you mean with, "I'll start tomorrow...next week...after my birthday...after christmas". Life happens and there are always reasons to NOT become healthy...especially when getting healthy can be such a bore chore. I am my biggest worst enemy as I'm a food addict. I eat for pleasure, stress, comfort, convenience. I recently made the choice to start following the advice I prescribe my clients and be the example.

I"m a lazy eater so I had to find a way to get healthy meals with little or no effort. I do use a specialized program that I order online and that I have most of my clients on but it only provides two of three meals... I still have to make one meal so I use FOOD PREP DAYS. I take one day a week and make a massive amount of one particular dish (15 to 20 servings). Then I fill up mason jars and freeze...each one is a portion. I go one step further by separating my protein sources and the rest of the dish. Sounds complicated but really, read on and you'll see how awesome it is.

I'll spend an hour on Sunday cooking about 10 chicken breasts and portioning them into 5oz portions into ziploc bags or foodsaver bags (I have a foodsaver vacuum sealer). Then I'll spend a couple more hours making what I call "a base"... a minestrone, a vegetarian chili...some kind of dish that either has no meat or has meat but I make it without the meat.

The next Sunday, I'll make a bunch of cajun saute shrimp and another "base"... then next Sunday... maybe more chicken but cooked differently... and so on. After a few weeks, you'll end up with a massive amount of meals all ready to go. You just grab a base and then grab a protein and put them together. Today, I'm going to grab a mexicali quinoa base that took all of 20 minutes to make last week (20 servings) and I think I'll grab a shrimp to go with it... though it's really good with cajun dusted chicken too. I'll thaw them both overnight (or in hot water in sink for instant thaw) and dump them in the same container... done.

Also, have you considered Intermittent Fasting as a way of eating? Sounds unpleasant but I assure you, it's easy and VERY effective.

Here are some of my favourite EASY recipes for my "base" meals...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2744449746842662/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2744449746613055/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2744449746842454/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2744449747066395/

Click the links... then click the image of each recipe. This will give you the full recipe for each. Making the proteins are even easier... just cook your shrimp, chicken, pork, beef, fish... however you want. I like pan searing my fish and bbq my chicken, beef, pork. I like to pan fry my shrimp. The magic is in the seaonings.

Jinglesmountjoy, you have been providing some really great information, thanks for sharing! I had never heard about IF until reading your posts.

I am wondering if you have any thoughts on which IF techniques you have found to be most effective for weight loss in shorter periods of time (less than 90 days)? I am so nervous to try fasting, I am so dependent on the comfort of food! I do require medication that be taken daily with food as well.

I welcome any thoughts! Thanks much.

Amy

Jinglesmountjoy, you have been providing some really great information, thanks for sharing! I had never heard about IF until reading your posts.

I am wondering if you have any thoughts on which IF techniques you have found to be most effective for weight loss in shorter periods of time (less than 90 days)? I am so nervous to try fasting, I am so dependent on the comfort of food! I do require medication that be taken daily with food as well.

I welcome any thoughts! Thanks much.

Amy

LOL... I know what you mean about comfort food... I'm sooooo bad. I lack self-control altogether.

16:8 is good for weight loss but 5:2 is much better and 6:1 a little better still. When I first started, I did 6:1 and in my first month, I dropped 23lbs and my wife dropped 18lbs. How much weight do you have to lose? Also.... actually, how about you send me an email as I don't wan't to hijack the thread. Also, I would like a bit more information on your current eating habits, etc.

jeff@wellnessniagara.com :)

LOL... I know what you mean about comfort food... I'm sooooo bad. I lack self-control altogether.

16:8 is good for weight loss but 5:2 is much better and 6:1 a little better still. When I first started, I did 6:1 and in my first month, I dropped 23lbs and my wife dropped 18lbs. How much weight do you have to lose? Also.... actually, how about you send me an email as I don't wan't to hijack the thread. Also, I would like a bit more information on your current eating habits, etc.

Thanks much! Just sent you a note.

I am interested in hearing about this, what does 16:8,5:2 and 6:1 actually mean?

I am interested in hearing about this, what does 16:8,5:2 and 6:1 actually mean?

16:8 means fasting for 16 hours (8 of which is while you sleep anyway), then eating your meals in an 8 hour window.

6:1 means eating healthy for 6 days then fasting for 1

5:2 is eating healthy for 5 days then fasting for 2

Wonderful protocol... some more detailed info here... https://onehealthybugger.wordpress.com/2015/09/11/fasting-is-lasting/

Not as hard as it sounds... happy to share the science behind it if you wish.

16:8 means fasting for 16 hours (8 of which is while you sleep anyway), then eating your meals in an 8 hour window.

Wonderful protocol... some more detailed info here... https://onehealthybugger.wordpress.com/2015/09/11/fasting-is-lasting/

Hi, I think this sounds totally do able! On your fasting day it seems that you eat one meal, or you eat during one eight hour period. Do you eat a "meal" during that time, and only one meal, or do you just drink nutritious fluids, or how is that 8 hour period negotiated? Thanks, Laurie

Hi, I think this sounds totally do able! On your fasting day it seems that you eat one meal, or you eat during one eight hour period. Do you eat a "meal" during that time, and only one meal, or do you just drink nutritious fluids, or how is that 8 hour period negotiated? Thanks, Laurie

I have been following the 5:2 diet for a 15 months combined with exercise. In the first 4 months I lost about 35 pounds. I have managed to maintain the weight loss fairly well. This is in spite of three long cruise holidays varying between 20 42 days. I also had major surgery to both my feet a few months ago which meant I couldn't exercise as normal for a long time. I am only just getting back to a regular routine. Post surgery I have gained about 8 pounds which I am thankfully now losing. Part of the weight gain is because of not doing the 5:2 program and eating poorly when I had some complications post surgery leading to frustration eating.

Basically as a female you have 500 calories to use on your fasting days. As I am not a breakfast person I would have my skinny coffee in the morning but not eat until around 11am - 12MD. Then I won't eat again until around 7pm for my evening meal. I will only drink water, coffee or tea all day. I also found no carbohydrates most days in the evening works well for me. The evenings I do have them I keep my carb portion small.

It was difficult initially to get started but I found that as my body got used to it even on the 5 days I could eat normally my portion size naturally got smaller. The other thing I found was I would drop a good amount after my fasting days then put some back on on my normal days but overall at the end of the week there was weight loss.

I hope this helps a little.

Julie

Thank You for the information

Could you please give a sample of a daily menu? If you do the 5:2 you dont eat for 2 days straight? I dont think I could do that one, i would get dizzy.

I also go to the gym 5 days a week so I shouldnt go fasting days?

Thank You for the information

Could you please give a sample of a daily menu? If you do the 5:2 you dont eat for 2 days straight? I dont think I could do that one, i would get dizzy.

I also go to the gym 5 days a week so I shouldnt go fasting days?

Yes...2 days straight. Regarding the gym... we now know that working out in a fasted state is actually one of the best things you can do for your body. There are plenty of studies to support this. If you want the details, I'm happy to share... I'm just reluctant to start sharing as most people just glaze over when I begin talking about growth hormone production and muscle synthesis.

I know how you feel about "2 days straight!!". I felt the same way but I'll tell you what I found when I started. I actually started with 6:1 and moved on to 5:2 later... and it's surprisingly easy.

My day looks like this...

• Wake up... 1oz of my "anti-stress" shot
  • Around 11am, Morning Shake (not hungry in AM so I eat breakfast late
  • Early afternoon snack - fruit/veg and maybe hummus
  • Around 4pm Lunch - Chicken Salad or maybe chicken Chili or shrimp stir fry... 500-600 cal
  • Mid to late afternoon snack - more veg/apple with cinnamon, etc
  • Around 8pm... Dinner Shake

Sometimes I have my shakes as breakfast lunch and prepare a dinner but my rules are.... NO Artificial sweeteners (like splenda/sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium), NO skipping a meal, Organic when possible.

On my fasting days, I eat if I get hungry but I've learned to understand the difference between "hunger" and just "not being full". I grew up thinking that you stop eating when you are full, rather than stopping when you're no longer hungry... there's a difference. When I do eat on a fast day, I make common sense choices... raw veg, salad, etc and only enough to take away the hunger.

Admittedly, I do eat special chocolates designed for fast days and berry flavoured wafers that provide some nourishment but aside from that, it's just nourishing liquids.

But once again, I want to re-visit the "gym" myth. I work with some VERY high level trainers (olympic/professional) and they all know the benefits of fasted workouts...not just "working out on an empty stomach"... I'm talking 24-48 hrs of fasted state. It's actually the BEST time you can workout. Understand that I'm talking about resistance training and not cardio.

Do you do any resistance training... if so, may I ask what you do?

If you choose the 16:8 method, it's healthy but not as much as a 5:2 or 6:1. That said, with the 16:8, you eat all the food you would normally eat in a day within that 8hr period. Obviously, you're going to use common sense. If you normally eat a full, hot breakfast every day followed by a morning snack and then a burger/fries at lunch followed by another snack and then a pasta dinner... you're NOT going to pack that into 8 hours...nor should you. IF is meant to work in conjunction with a healthy diet though admittedly, after you've done it for several months, your body is much more forgiving when you have those indulgences...:D

I and my clients, use a special Intermittent Fasting program that comes by mail so we have most of our meals provided (personal choice) but you can follow IF using your own meals... you just have to use common sense. We only buy the program for the accelerated results and added health benefits. If you tell me your typical day of eating/drinking, I'll give you some tips on how to change (if at all) those choices for the better. So as to not hijack this thread, I may start a new tread on Intermittent Fasting.