Caribbean Cruise Jan 2017 MSC Poesia to do in ports

pompey_numnutz

Hello people

My first MSC cruise

Only done two other small Thomson cruises before

As it's our 60th birthday present we upgraded to balcony and Allegrissimo drinks package although thinking of going premium as I understand the only thing on draft is "yuk" lager and if I want ale or cider they are bottled and not included in the basic package

Wondered if anyone has done this cruise before and can give me advice on what to do in each of the ports figured we would just disembark and explore and have adventures :) aside from Guadeloupe where we are hiring a car and driving to Deshaies where Death in Paradise is filmed

Thanks in advance

Our itinerary is

10/01/2017 Bridgetown, Barbados

11/01/2017 Port of Spain

12/01/2017 Saint George, Grenada

13/01/2017 Roseau, Dominica

14/01/2017 Fort de France, Martinique

15/01/2017 Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe

16/01/2017 Philipsburg, St. Maarten

17/01/2017 Road Town, BVI, Tortola

18/01/2017 La Romana, Dominican Republic

19/01/2017 Basseterre, St Kitts & Nevis

20/01/2017 St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda

21/01/2017 Fort de France, Martinique

22/01/2017 Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe

23/01/2017 Castries, Saint Lucia

24/01/2017 Bridgetown, Barbados

Edited by pompey_numnutz

Hello people

My first MSC cruise

Only done two other small Thomson cruises before

As it's our 60th birthday present we upgraded to balcony and Allegrissimo drinks package although thinking of going premium as I understand the only thing on draft is "yuk" lager and if I want ale or cider they are bottled and not included in the basic package

Wondered if anyone has done this cruise before and can give me advice on what to do in each of the ports figured we would just disembark and explore and have adventures :) aside from Guadeloupe where we are hiring a car and driving to Deshaies where Death in Paradise is filmed

Thanks in advance

Our itinerary is

10/01/2017 Bridgetown, Barbados

11/01/2017 Port of Spain

12/01/2017 Saint George, Grenada

13/01/2017 Roseau, Dominica

14/01/2017 Fort de France, Martinique

15/01/2017 Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe

16/01/2017 Philipsburg, St. Maarten

17/01/2017 Road Town, BVI, Tortola

18/01/2017 La Romana, Dominican Republic

19/01/2017 Basseterre, St Kitts & Nevis

20/01/2017 St. John's, Antigua and Barbuda

21/01/2017 Fort de France, Martinique

22/01/2017 Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe

23/01/2017 Castries, Saint Lucia

24/01/2017 Bridgetown, Barbados

Visit the Ports of Call boards here, the one for Caribbean Islands. Should be lots of info there. EM

What a wonderful list of destinations for your 60th :). Firstly, Skier52 (Pete) did a fabulous review of this itinerary which can be found here. This should give you an excellent vantage point of what to expect from MSC and the general itinerary (even though it was a different ship).

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

The ports of call forums are also a great place to visit. Mike linked those above. Just know that a majority of your ports aren't called upon by many lines so the traffic in some of the sub-forum islands might not be terrific. When all else fails, Trip advisor will target each island thoroughly.

I've been to each of these destinations and can give you a quick synopsis.

Barbadoes: We did windsurfing here from one of the beaches. Don't recall which one, but conditions were great for this activity. Of course, I was 20 years younger last time I was in Barbados.

Saint George, Grenada: I love Grenada! Many don't. I've done a land vacation here also. This is called the 'spice' island and the entire island has a nutmeg/cinnamon scent to it. I've hiked bridal sister falls here, but for a first time visitor a trip to watch them make the spices in the 'factories' would be very interesting.

Roseau, Dominica: This island is much like Grenada. Lots of tropical rain forest. One islands with this topography I prefer to be inland. I did another waterfall hike here, can't recall the name exactly but it was something like 'middle falls'. They do tours here where you don't have to hike also.

Martinique: Only been here once and I recall just shopping for very interesting items.

St. Martin: This is another island I've visited by both land and cruise several times. If you are at all interested in airplanes, a cab fare to Maho beach ($8.00 pp each way) is a fabulous way to spend the day. Youtube some of the video to see if that interests you. Orient beach is also very popular as a clothing optional beach. Entire island tours can be purchased for $20.00 pp from the taxi stand directly outside of the port.

Tortola: I would highly recommend a trip to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. The hike down is not at all THAT difficult and doing the walk through the baths to the open bay is really spectacular. The ride to virgin gorda on the ferry is very easy to do and convenient.

LaRomana: I've done all inclusive here several times but never a ship dock. For the life of me I can't imagine what do do here other than a beach day or a day trip to the historical Santa Domingo. Great beaches, not much else. Be careful with ingesting water in the DR.

St. Kitts: Only stopped here once. All I recall is monkeys. Not sure what we set up there.

St. Johns Antiqua: If there is only ONE day to make a beach day, this is it!! Again, I've been here both land trips and cruise stops. The beach at Sandals Antigua is one of my most favorite in the entire caribbean. Not sure if Sandals does day passes (I prefer this island for land vacations), but if they do it would be worth it in my opinion to at least see the beaches in Antigua.

Saint Lucia: Visit the Tetons. It is a great first time visitor trip. You can do a round trip bus or split the trip and travel by boat one way and land the other (which is what I would recommend). The topography of St. Lucia is wonderful. I've also stayed here on land vacations but don't find the beaches all that nice. We have golfed here on several occasions if that is of interest to you, the courses were spectacular.

Hope that helps in some small way. Happy Birthday!