Opinion of Airfare

wellsea

Hi

Cruising in Feb.08 . Ship leaves from FLL. This morning found 1 way Bos to Mia non-stop for $189. We arrive day before. Jet Blue is $399. The other carriers are no bargain either. Should we grab this and find a way to a FLL hotel? Just want others opinions on what you would do. Or wait if something better comes along???

Kalcris

You are not really thinking of flying odwn the day of your curise, are you? From Logan? With Boston February weather?

I thionk you definiately want to fly down the day before -- to make sure you actually make the cruise. The cost of $189 isn''t gong to get significantly cheaper.

Paul

No,

We are planning on flying down 1- 2days before. We wouldn't take that chance with NE weather. It was AA that offered the $189. Everyone else is high priced and with connections. Thanks for your input.

Your dates are starting to bump up against President's Week holidays.

I would be JUMPING on the flight. They won't go down. Sure, you may see a sale, with limited availability, flight times and multiple connections.

But I would doubt you find another nonstop from BOS any cheaper.

I would grab it. I grabbed a oneway to FLL from Ohio yesterday nonstop for 175.00 in March. I have been watching prices for awhile and they are really high. We have an airline here called Skybus that is really cheap. Going to try and get a cheap fllight home when they open the dates. Won't chance taking them down for a cruise as they partner with no other airline and if they have trouble they just cancel. You have to find another flight! But coming home won't care so hopefully we can get a 10.00 or 20.00 flight. Good Luck!

Was the $189 for a one way? That doesn't sound like a great deal to me. I can't believe you couldn't find a round trip at a better deal if you keep looking. I checked on Kayak for BOS-FLL Feb-8 to Feb 17 and found a $241 round trip fare on Airtran and a round trip $269 fare on Jet Blue. Not sure what your dates were so maybe that's part of the issue. Perhaps it's just me, but sounds like you could find a better fare.....

How far are you from Manchester (MHT) or Providence (PVD)? If either of these are feasable, I would wait until Southwest opens up their flight schedule for Feb and check with them - this will be on Aug 27th (tomorrow). Both airports above fly direct into FLL. If you book immediately when their flight schedule is released you may be able to find the flight times you want at a decent price.

The $189 is one way. We are going school vacation week. That is the clincher. Any other week is reasonable. The date for cruise is Feb.16-23.

I put a hold on AA $189. The cruise is six months away, but it is an in demand week. That is why I thought I'd get someone else's opinion.I happened to spot this fare this morning.

PVD is an hour ride. We are closer in distance to Logan. I mentioned SW to DH. He's hesitant because of the uncertainty of the weather. Since I have my AA on hold(didn't know I could do that), I could see what SW offers tomorrow for pricing.

Kalcris

Did you just book the one way? I'm a little confused. We are traveling Feb. 3-18 (Philadelphia to FLL) and I used my FF miles on Spirit Airlines as soon as the flights became available for booking. I knew prices would be high since the day we return is the end of President's weekend. Have you checked Spirit's flights from Logan? I think they fly into FLL.

Yes, I checked Spirit. Their price for 2/15 is $399, 1 way. That is not the Big seat. Coming back is the same price $399. Spirit also makes 1 stop.

So the pricing would be about $800, round trip. I've been on the boards and I also check the flights daily. I think it may be hard to find a so called good air fare for this particular week.

I didn't want to make an impulse buy and then regret. So I have AA on hold till tomorrow night and by tomorrow morning I'll see what Southwest offers.

Thanks for everyones's ideas. It helps with the decision making!

Kalcris

We always cruise Feb vacation, and I have never paid more than 230pp round trip. I am waiting for SW to open to fly into MCO this time.

Keep checkingwith Airtran.we flew them last year Feb vacation for 119 pp oneway. Airtran will drop, give them time.

Yes, I checked Spirit. Their price for 2/15 is $399, 1 way. That is not the Big seat. Coming back is the same price $399. Spirit also makes 1 stop.

So the pricing would be about $800, round trip. I've been on the boards and I also check the flights daily. I think it may be hard to find a so called good air fare for this particular week.

I didn't want to make an impulse buy and then regret. So I have AA on hold till tomorrow night and by tomorrow morning I'll see what Southwest offers.

Thanks for everyones's ideas. It helps with the decision making!

Kalcris

Yikes, that IS high! Were you able to secure $189 both ways with AA, or did you just put the one way on hold? If you got $189 each way for both legs (coming and going), I think I'd stick with that. If you only got it one way, I'd cancel it and wait for better fares. You might wind up paying a lot for a one-way ticket with another airline if you are flying AA only one way.

I only have the $189, one way on hold, going down to FL. We tried every which way and airlines for round trip. Then we saw Air Tran had a good fare from FLL to Bos $164 leaves on a 2/23. So I booked that. Some flights had 2 stops and some flew to Chicago then Boston. Nothing simple.

Waiting to see what Southwest offers. It's school vacation week at that time

so fares will go up and I didn't want to chance waiting too long.

So, basically you're looking at $353 pp RT going down on AA and returning on Airtran? That's not so bad considering the week you're flying. I get so tired trying to find good airfares. I booked my parents on a flight last week and the next day, the fare came down signficantly. When I called to see if I could change it, I was told it would cost $70 pp to make the change; wasn't worth it for what they'd be saving. It's such a game these days and as usual, the customer usually winds up on the losing end!

Looked at Southwest fares today. The flights "offered" most were not available. I was online the moment the rates were posted. The flight "offered"

had 1 stop and then for us it would involve an hours ride to PVD (plus uncertain weather). So I booked AA, from Bos non stop. Looking at the other fares,Jet Blue, Delta etc are crazy. We wouldn't be going on a cruise if we had to pay those fares. Like you said jerseygirl3, it's such a game.

Jet Blue has good schedule, non stop BUT the fare is $399 EACH way plus tax,

I called Jet Blue to see if they'll offer lower rates and the rep told me, IF the rate drops, they'll give you a credit. Too much of a chance. So that is why I booked separately. I got better time schedule and price that way. I think this is the first time I ever booked air separately, using different carriers.

So now our flight is done. I'll start the pre cruise hotel hunt. We've had luck with Priceline, so I'll start with them. Another game!

Happy Cruisiing

Kalcris

So what did you actually wind up booking for your flight home? I see where you mention you booked AA from BOS to MIA, but what did you book home and what was the fare? Now don't forget it's going to run you about $75 for a taxi (which will hold 4 people) each way from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, so RT it's going to run you another $150 approx. (plus 20% gratuity). Did you factor that into your budget as opposed to flying into FLL, which is where you ship leaves from?

So what did you actually wind up booking for your flight home? I see where you mention you booked AA from BOS to MIA, but what did you book home and what was the fare? Now don't forget it's going to run you about $75 for a taxi (which will hold 4 people) each way from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, so RT it's going to run you another $150 approx. (plus 20% gratuity). Did you factor that into your budget as opposed to flying into FLL, which is where you ship leaves from?

I booked Air Tran 2/23 from FLL to Bos for $164 with 1 stop. The time was good. I told DH about the taxi (or some tranportation from MIA to FLL) He said it would be ok,so I said all right. He can factor that cost in his budget. I'm doing all the searching. I'm in the habit now of still checking the fares and I haven't come across any deals.

KAlcris

Are you concerned about finding a hotel near FLL? Shouldn't be a problem except for the dates, which are popular in FL. I usually check major chains, looking for proximity to aiport or to cruise terminal. Cab rides aren't bad from either FLL or MIA. Another tip: If you have a choice, take a morning flight so you have time for alternate arrangements if there's a glitch. We were on our way to MIA for a Celebrity cruise last April when the big Nor'easter hit; Logan and PVD both closed. Took the train from Back Bay to Phila. and flew out to MIA the next morning. Whew!

Also, remember that you can reserve hotel rooms and usually cancel up until day of arrival if you find something better - so take what looks good, and keep looking for a better deal.:)

Are you concerned about finding a hotel near FLL? Shouldn't be a problem except for the dates, which are popular in FL. I usually check major chains, looking for proximity to aiport or to cruise terminal. Cab rides aren't bad from either FLL or MIA. Another tip: If you have a choice, take a morning flight so you have time for alternate arrangements if there's a glitch. We were on our way to MIA for a Celebrity cruise last April when the big Nor'easter hit; Logan and PVD both closed. Took the train from Back Bay to Phila. and flew out to MIA the next morning. Whew!

Also, remember that you can reserve hotel rooms and usually cancel up until day of arrival if you find something better - so take what looks good, and keep looking for a better deal.:)

I'm already looking. Last year we stayed at the Renaissaince. I got it on priceline. I can't remember the price,but I know we were happy considering what they charge. Thanks for your tip. I will look around and book what seems to be good. Never thought of the train. That was a good idea. I'll have to remember that as a possible back up plan. I appreciate your advice.

Kalcris

Have you considered looking into the cost of flights to West Palm Beach (PBI)? The cost is usually substantially less. Check USair also from there. Whether you fly into Miami or West Palm Beach, I would look at renting a car. There are no drop off fees in Florida and you could probably get one for well under $50. Unfortunately you can't book your car through priceline as they do not book 1 way car rentals.

Archived