D category staterooms deck 3 Zaandam

luxurysailer

It has been quite a few years since we were last booked in one of these staterooms on the Amsterdam. The HAL website says that they may have as little as 140 sq ft; however, it seems to me that our stateroom on the Amsterdam was of good size, probably approaching the upper stated size of 319 sq ft.

Has anyone ever encountered a D category stateroom on deck 3 on Zaandam that was exceedingly small? If so, would you please tell me what that stateroom number was if you have it available.

Thanks

We have found the Ds on the Main Deck (2) are larger than the ones on the Lower Prom (3).

I measured them once and the former came in at about 195 ft and the latter about 170 ft. The Lower Prom outsides are a bit shorter, but still very convenient cabins!

We have found the Ds on the Main Deck (2) are larger than the ones on the Lower Prom (3).

I measured them once and the former came in at about 195 ft and the latter about 170 ft. The Lower Prom outsides are a bit shorter, but still very convenient cabins!

You're right. I totally forgot about the Lower Promenade cabins being smaller when I posted earlier. :o I agree on the size, too.

Which means we both agree that the 140 sq. ft. figure is totally off.

Thanks for the replies. We've never been in D category on main deck, but have been in both J (inside) and C (ocean view) on main deck and found both to be very comfortable insofar as size is concerned.

My decision rests upon whether the convenience of a cabin on lower promenade is adequately offset by the smaller size of the D midship staterooms on lower promenade as opposed to the J and C staterooms on main deck.

My decision rests upon whether the convenience of a cabin on lower promenade is adequately offset by the smaller size of the D midship staterooms on lower promenade as opposed to the J and C staterooms on main deck.

Since you would consider an inside on Main Deck, how about this---an inside on Lower Promenade. Those cabins have the convenience of the outside deck nearby, while they are larger than the outsides on that deck.

True, they are smaller than the outsides on Main Deck, but they are the same size as the insides on the lower deck.

The Lower Promenade insides between the forward and mid-ship elevators are convenient, and under quiet areas (except that one time when there were extremely high seas and the cabin under the Pinnacle Grill heard the dishes crashing ;)).

Edited by RuthC

You're right. I totally forgot about the Lower Promenade cabins being smaller when I posted earlier. :o I agree on the size, too.

Which means we both agree that the 140 sq. ft. figure is totally off.

I knew you knew, Ruth.

The 140 sq feet probably refers to the porthole cabins down below. There are a few forward ones that are truly small!

We try to keep our group of 3 couples in staterooms very near one another, and one member of the group is very prone to motion sickness. He really likes the midship cabins on main deck, especially when rough seas are very likely to be encountered as on this cruise.

We try to keep our group of 3 couples in staterooms very near one another, and one member of the group is very prone to motion sickness. He really likes the midship cabins on main deck, especially when rough seas are very likely to be encountered as on this cruise.

Main deck (deck 2) has Cs midship: large cabins, excellent view.

In your initial post you were referencing deck 3, which are Ds and smaller.

I don't have a deck plan handy, but I believe all porthole cabins are G or H, not D.

I did not say they were Ds.

The question was why HAL says the outsides are from 140 ft square to 195(?) ft square. I posit that the 140s are the portholes.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I did not say they were Ds.

The question was why HAL says the outsides are from 140 ft square to 195(?) ft square. I posit that the 140s are the portholes.

I know you didn't, but the way I read the OP I thought they were specifically asking about any small D on deck 3, not just small outsides in general:

D category staterooms deck 3 Zaandam

It has been quite a few years since we were last booked in one of these staterooms on the Amsterdam. The HAL website says that they may have as little as 140 sq ft; however, it seems to me that our stateroom on the Amsterdam was of good size, probably approaching the upper stated size of 319 sq ft.

Has anyone ever encountered a D category stateroom on deck 3 on Zaandam that was exceedingly small? If so, would you please tell me what that stateroom number was if you have it available.

Thanks