LF Hotel w/ shuttle service from EWR, then ideas on getting to Manhattan CT next day

lisakoivu

Is there a recommended hotel in Newark that has a shuttle that would pick us up at the airport?

We were initially taking Amtrak, but United flight from our tiny regional airport in London Ontario direct to EWR has just come up for a ridiculously cheap $390 pp, so I think we're flying... I'd love to risk flying out at 6:01 the morning of the cruise for the 90 minute flight, but I'm just scared with the weather, so I guess we'll go for the day before. Hotel idea appreciated. I'll be looking up some threads on how to get from that hotel to Manhattan cruise terminal the next morning too, so if anyone has any ideas about that they'd like to post along with the hotel recommendation I'd appreciate it.

Is there a recommended hotel in Newark that has a shuttle that would pick us up at the airport?

We were initially taking Amtrak, but United flight from our tiny regional airport in London Ontario direct to EWR has just come up for a ridiculously cheap $390 pp, so I think we're flying... I'd love to risk flying out at 6:01 the morning of the cruise for the 90 minute flight, but I'm just scared with the weather, so I guess we'll go for the day before. Hotel idea appreciated. I'll be looking up some threads on how to get from that hotel to Manhattan cruise terminal the next morning too, so if anyone has any ideas about that they'd like to post along with the hotel recommendation I'd appreciate it.

What exact date do you need a hotel room for? Two people? Budget? Can you manage your luggage? What time does your flight arrive the day before?

All the Newark Airport hotels have a free shuttle that picks up at the Airtrain P4 station (free). To get to P4 you pick up your luggage on the lower level baggage claim and take the elevator to the Airtrain on the top level.

A lot of hotels at the airport offer free breakfast, but don't have restaurants for dinner. You must be picky about your hotel and be sure it has the amenities you require. We don't ever recommend the cheapest hotels at the airport. Most of the hotels are in isolated areas with no place to go on foot. However, the hotels on Glimcher Realty way are next to Jersey Gardens Mall, an IHOP, and a Ruby Tuesday's.

There are three ways to get to the Manhattan Cruiseport.

1). Private car service - about $100 including tolls and tip

2). Train - Hotel shuttle to P4, Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, NJTransit train to New York Penn Station for $12.50/pp, and cab to the port for about $15

3). Airport bus - Hotel shuttle to P4, Airtrain to a terminal, airport bus from the lower level to Port Authority bus station for $16/pp or $28 rt, and cab to the port for $10-15.

There will be four of us, husband, two kids, 21 and 17. We are not picky about the accommodations as it is only for one night, but you're right, we need to be able to eat some dinner, or even order a pizza, to whatever hotel we choose. We are scheduled to land about 6:00 pm on Saturday December 20th.

I think I'll probably take your excellent advice to other posters and call independent driver for the trip across in the morning ...

Would still appreciate a hotel recommendation, sorry I forgot to post the dates. I feel like I should book soon, because it's Christmas time.

There will be four of us, husband, two kids, 21 and 17. We are not picky about the accommodations as it is only for one night, but you're right, we need to be able to eat some dinner, or even order a pizza, to whatever hotel we choose. We are scheduled to land about 6:00 pm on Saturday December 20th.

I think I'll probably take your excellent advice to other posters and call independent driver for the trip across in the morning ...

Would still appreciate a hotel recommendation, sorry I forgot to post the dates. I feel like I should book soon, because it's Christmas time.

Independent Driver would not be my choice of car service to travel from New Jersey to New York. Given it's a small operation geared to serving the immediate Newark/Elizabeth/Cape Liberty area they may not have sufficient resources to be able to have a car available to go to NY City (and for that matter who knows if they have the proper licensing and insurance coverage to legally operate service to NY).

Try one of these major car services...I think either would be a better choice:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Edited by njhorseman

There are a number of choices for you on Dec 20. However, you have to make several decisions:

1). Two double beds or two queens

2). Free breakfast or no free breakfast

3). Potential internet charges for in room wifi. All hotels seem to have at least free internet in the lobby.

4). Location near Jersey Gardens Mall or not

5). cancellable or noncancellable

The best overall deal I'm seeing is Country Inns on LastMinuteTravel for $120($144 incl tax), which has 2 queens (call to confirm ), free breakfast, wifi, Jersey Gardens Mall, and cancellable up to three days ahead. This is not a full service hotel, but there is an IHOP and Ruby Tuesdays next door.

The Newark Airport Hilton on the Hilton site is $99 ($116 incl tax) for 2 double beds, no breakfast, potential internet charges, and cancellable. This is a full service hotel.

Edited by 138east

There are a number of choices for you on Dec 20. However, you have to make several decisions:

1). Two double beds or two queens

2). Free breakfast or no free breakfast

3). Potential internet charges for in room wifi. All hotels seem to have at least free internet in the lobby.

4). Location near Jersey Gardens Mall or not

5). cancellable or noncancellable

The best overall deal I'm seeing is Country Inns on LastMinuteTravel for $120($144 incl tax), which has 2 queens (call to confirm ), free breakfast, wifi, Jersey Gardens Mall, and cancellable up to three days ahead. This is not a full service hotel, but there is an IHOP and Ruby Tuesdays next door.

The Newark Airport Hilton on the Hilton site is $99 ($116 incl tax) for 2 double beds, no breakfast, potential internet charges, and cancellable. This is a full service hotel.

Thanks so much, that's the intel I'm looking for.