How "strenuous" is it really?

vmt514

With a bad back and a bad knee, I wouldn't attempt the full climb. The worst part is that you hold hands and climb the falls as a human line. It makes it very difficult to maintain your balance or break a fall if you slip. My wife and I did it a few years ago and we are relatively healthy and agile, but we both ended up with some bruises. Probably didn't help that we were first in the line.

DH and I are in decent shape, but we didn't do it and were pretty happy about that, ultimately. It's definitely worth seeing, though, and there is a path/stairs alongside of the falls that's not bad. You can take those as slowly as you like, without climbing rocks and fighting the falls.

Good call. Why risk it? That is especially the case if you're going to have so much more of your holiday ahead of you. DW and I just recently climbed the falls, and I was secretly concerned because I have a host of sports related injuries to my knees and back. Even though we're both quite young, and I'm in the gym pounding away every day, I was really worried. The climb ended up not being very difficult at all, and even my ultra feminine wife climbed up like some kind of crazy mountain goat. But still, why stress about it? You can just go and walk on the side and enjoy the beautiful scenery. That's good enough.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Edited by Michael P

The worst part is that you hold hands and climb the falls as a human line. It makes it very difficult to maintain your balance or break a fall if you slip.

EXACTLY

SO DO NOT GO WITH A HAND HOLDING GROUP

The fee you pay at DRF is a daily admission to a national park .... you pay nothing to climb the falls.

Cruise tours hook up a bunch of folks to hold hands and climb the falls as a group QUICKLY and move on to the next venue

See the hand holders behind us as we enjoy a pool?

drf9.jpg

that's a cruise tour

The guides work for tips ..... separate from a group and climb on your own or with your own guide.

Do it DIY

Hire a guide for your first climb

then go UP THE MIDDLE

drf8.jpg

drf4.jpg

I take a taxi and spend all day

first visit was in 1986 ... been MANY times since ... in 86 I lost a set of Ray Bans ..... if you find them . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

If I opt to use the walkway/stairs, can I get in and out of the water at my leisure? Or is that frowned upon, or would I be in others way?

You can absolutely get in and out as you see fit. If there is a group going by at that exact moment, just wait until they pass.

With a bad back and a bad knee, I wouldn't attempt the full climb. The worst part is that you hold hands and climb the falls as a human line. It makes it very difficult to maintain your balance or break a fall if you slip. My wife and I did it a few years ago and we are relatively healthy and agile, but we both ended up with some bruises. Probably didn't help that we were first in the line.

Climbing up as part of a "chain gang" is, without a doubt, the worst way to do the Falls. Being hassled for tips by so called 'guides', video guys, who aren't actually taking videos, and being told to yell "ya mon" every few feet really detracts from the experience. It's easier, safer, and more enjoyable, to just go on your own, or with another couple.

Yeah, almost forgot about the constant requests for tips. We will be on the 5/28 Allure sailing and will be skipping the falls even though our two daughters will be with us this time and have never been there. If I ever go again, it will not be with a tour guide. Didn't know we could do it by ourselves the first time.

I just did it this past Wednesday and would not recommend it for someone with a bad back - however, I did see a lot of people climbing who I wouldn't consider "agile" and they seemed to be fine - I just wouldn't want to risk further injury to my back!

This was my first time and I have to say that cheezy or not, I loved the experience! We did not hold hands - other than my daughter's hand and although we had a guide, I thought they were fun and I appreciated their guidance for those areas were I had to take a "leap of faith" into a deep pool where I couldn't see where I was stepping. I didn't mind giving a small tip at the end, but I also saw those who declined to tip and they were not hassled.

I would consider the climb for those who have never done it - I didn't see anyone who wasn't having a great time doing it!

Did the climb April 2014 and found it great fun. Beautiful surroundings but you do need to have good balance and good knees. If your not able to climb a set of stairs comfortably, I would pass on this adventure. Rocks can be a little slippery at points and its sometimes hard to see where you're stepping. Tour guides were willing to help grab your hand and give you a heave ho if you need. :)