NCL Virgin Gorda Baths vs Baths snorkel tour

MacGuffin

Hello. We will be going to Tortola in May on Getaway. We are in port until 5 PM and will be the only ship in port. Has anyone done the Virgin Gorda Baths excursion or the Virgin Gorda Baths with snorkel excursion? NCL website doesn't offer many details on the differences between the two, other than one offers snorkeling.

The tour without snorkeling leaves the ship at 8:30 AM and the snorkel tour leaves at 10:30 AM. Is it better to get to the Baths early to avoid crowds, or perhaps the snorkel tour is later so that we are snorkeling later in the day when the sun is higher? Also wondering if the snorkel tour involves swimming from a boat to the beach, or do we hike down like the standard Baths tour. Finally, is snorkeling at the Baths anything special? Haven't found many exciting pictures of Virgin Gorda Baths snorkeling. Thanks!

:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. We will be going to Tortola in May on Getaway. We are in port until 5 PM and will be the only ship in port. Has anyone done the Virgin Gorda Baths excursion or the Virgin Gorda Baths with snorkel excursion? NCL website doesn't offer many details on the differences between the two, other than one offers snorkeling.

The tour without snorkeling leaves the ship at 8:30 AM and the snorkel tour leaves at 10:30 AM. Is it better to get to the Baths early to avoid crowds, or perhaps the snorkel tour is later so that we are snorkeling later in the day when the sun is higher? Also wondering if the snorkel tour involves swimming from a boat to the beach, or do we hike down like the standard Baths tour. Finally, is snorkeling at the Baths anything special? Haven't found many exciting pictures of Virgin Gorda Baths snorkeling. Thanks!

:confused:

I have been to the Baths many times. I haven't done the snorkel in excursion but would have no problem doing it, it just hasn't worked out for me.

Don't be concerned about the daylight issue, sunrise is early and the light is not a concern.

Easy explanation of the two tours:

The Virgin Gorda Baths excursion takes you on a boat to Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda, where you get on a safari shuttle and are taken to the top of the Baths. You then walk down the steep hill on a narrow path to the Baths. When you are done you reverse the process and end upp back on Tortola.

The Baths with snorkel excursion is similar except that your boat anchors off the Baths and you swim ashore, so no safari bus, and no hill to walk down and up. When you finish at the Baths you may have an additional snorkel stop on your way back to Tortola, but probably not. You need to be a good swimmer for this excursion as it is approximately 100 yards to shore (which is not as much as it seems when you are snorkeling in) and then that far back to the boat.

BTW these descriptions are on the NCL site.

If I were taking a ship's excursion I would do the one with the snorkel in to the beach. :)

Hope this helps.

Edited by zqvol

• 2 weeks later...
I have been to the Baths many times. I haven't done the snorkel in excursion but would have no problem doing it, it just hasn't worked out for me.

Don't be concerned about the daylight issue, sunrise is early and the light is not a concern.

Easy explanation of the two tours:

The Virgin Gorda Baths excursion takes you on a boat to Spanish Town on Virgin Gorda, where you get on a safari shuttle and are taken to the top of the Baths. You then walk down the steep hill on a narrow path to the Baths. When you are done you reverse the process and end upp back on Tortola.

The Baths with snorkel excursion is similar except that your boat anchors off the Baths and you swim ashore, so no safari bus, and no hill to walk down and up. When you finish at the Baths you may have an additional snorkel stop on your way back to Tortola, but probably not. You need to be a good swimmer for this excursion as it is approximately 100 yards to shore (which is not as much as it seems when you are snorkeling in) and then that far back to the boat.

BTW these descriptions are on the NCL site.

If I were taking a ship's excursion I would do the one with the snorkel in to the beach. :)

Hope this helps.

Great explanation, what about our stuff we dont want to get wet, do they deliver it to the beach for us while we snorkel in and out?

Yes the excursion descriptions are clear.

Beware the current can be very strong when swimming in, you're swimming from a mooring well off the shore.

Snorkeling is best off away from the Baths and even over to Spring Bay so most people go to other destinations specifically or snorkeling. The Baths are a unique experience for walking through though.

Most operators do not deliver your stuff to the beach while some will dingy it in. A private cat sail option to the Baths is Patouche (dot com). The ferry is the most common method, once on VG you can work with a taxi driver to drop you different places and return for you, fares are very reasonable. For example we like the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch.

If you can do the Baths when the main crowd is not there that is better. If you have that time in port going on your own via ferry would be a good choice.

I'm taking the NCL Baths and Snorkel tour on the Getaway on 5/23 sailing. I found this thread helpful in getting an estimate about how far you would be docked off the island:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2165671&highlight=tortola

You're not docked off the Baths but are moored. We were at the Baths on a land vacation when folks swam in from the boat. Some, who said they were excellent swimmers, had a tough time and took some time to recover. Just a precaution, and the crew should warn you if there is a strong undercurrent which is the main concern.

The Baths are worth a visit, if too crowded Spring Bay has a similar topography and is a short walk from the Top of the Baths.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple questions about the snorkel excursion as well.

1. It appears the people only had flippers in the photos from the link above. Once at the baths, is there a need for beach/water shoes for climbing/exploring, or would those only be needed if we were to have to come down the path from the top?

2. Is the path/climb down & back up the only thing missed by coming in via boat vs. the other excursion that drop you off at the top?

I have a couple questions about the snorkel excursion as well.

1. It appears the people only had flippers in the photos from the link above. Once at the baths, is there a need for beach/water shoes for climbing/exploring, or would those only be needed if we were to have to come down the path from the top?

2. Is the path/climb down & back up the only thing missed by coming in via boat vs. the other excursion that drop you off at the top?

Water shoes are not needed, the sand is soft and the wooden platforms that you climb are so well worn that splinters do not seem to be an issue.

IMO the path and climb are the only things you miss by snorkeling in, however there is a nice restaurant with a pool at the top.

Water shoes are not needed, the sand is soft and the wooden platforms that you climb are so well worn that splinters do not seem to be an issue.

IMO the path and climb are the only things you miss by snorkeling in, however there is a nice restaurant with a pool at the top.

And the rest of the island that you won't see. Spring and Savannah Bays are beautiful, and Spanishtown is a nice little town to explore within walking distance of the ferry, The Bath & Turtle is a great spot for lunch as well. And the Mineshaft Cafe is an amazing spot for lunch with the spectacular panoramic views and their signature drink the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!...

And the rest of the island that you won't see. Spring and Savannah Bays are beautiful, and Spanishtown is a nice little town to explore within walking distance of the ferry, The Bath & Turtle is a great spot for lunch as well. And the Mineshaft Cafe is an amazing spot for lunch with the spectacular panoramic views and their signature drink the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!...

Thank you both for your replies. We will be there in July and the boat/swim to the baths vs. the climbing up and down in the other tour sounds a bit more "refreshing". On the other hand, the excursion with the hike portion departs at 8:15, so it gets us to the baths earlier and back to the ship sooner, possibly time to squeeze in a beach on Tortola as well...much to contemplate!

One consideration is your timing at the Baths as it's much more enjoyable when you're not there with the bulk of the excursion crowd. With the boat you are part of that, while going on your own via ferry you may be able to time your arrival at the top based on the crowd (Spring Bay is very close for a first stop to let the crowd thin out, or a good driver can advise when not to go and take a tour of the Valley area first, for example).

Enjoy!

Do folks think as far as crowds at the Baths go we are better to do the excursion that departs right after docking at 8:15 which is the one dropping us at the top of the Baths or the one that departs at 11 which is the snorkel/swim one? With the later one would crowds from the earlier part of the day have left by the time we arrive? We are the only ship in Tortola that day, although there is also one at St. Thomas, so some folks could be coming from there, I suppose.

Do folks think as far as crowds at the Baths go we are better to do the excursion that departs right after docking at 8:15 which is the one dropping us at the top of the Baths or the one that departs at 11 which is the snorkel/swim one? With the later one would crowds from the earlier part of the day have left by the time we arrive? We are the only ship in Tortola that day, although there is also one at St. Thomas, so some folks could be coming from there, I suppose.

It's hard to say. Don't expect anyone from St. Thomas, it is too far and requires a passport and clearing customs. What you will find are lots, literally dozens of small vessels and probably some of the luxury lines that actually go to Virgin Gorda.

The Baths are really busy all day, but not so much that you can't enjoy yourself.