Escape To Jost Van Dyke Tour - really need to swim?

becky444

The tour description (NCL) to Jost Van Dyke indicates that the boat may not be able to pull onto shore. Does it stop in knee-high water that you have to walk through or do you really need to swim 30 feet to shore?

The tour description (NCL) to Jost Van Dyke indicates that the boat may not be able to pull onto shore. Does it stop in knee-high water that you have to walk through or do you really need to swim 30 feet to shore?

You really need to swim to shore probably about 50 meters, and you start in deep water, because that beach drops pretty steeply.

Depends on the congestion (of boats) and the boat type you're on. Often they can get you in chest deep but as zqvol noted you may indeed need to swim in as the shore does drop. Hence Soggy $ Bar. They should have life vests for us weaker swimmers.

• 1 month later...
How is the snorkeling off the beaches around Jost and Soggy? Are there areas?

We are with a group, where half want to do the tiki bar scene and the other wants to snorkel. :rolleyes:

As you face the water along the shore to the right is not bad, but I wouldn't really consider it good snorkeling. The bottom is too sandy to find a lot of fish, but we have seen a nice variety along the shore including some nice nurse sharks.

I am considering booking this excursion through NCL (I promised I would never book through the cruise line - but oh well) and had some questions.

1. Does the boat just stay "anchored" as you spend the day on the beach?

2. Is it literally just a beach day - are there chairs/umbrellas/etc. to rent?

3. Or is it mainly people just hanging out at the Soggy Dollar?

4. Does the $99pp charge include anything other than the boat ride to/from Jost Van Dyke?

5. Is this any different than going to one of the popular beaches on the main Island? I know there are safari taxi's that will take you there for like $16pp, compared to the $99pp for this...

Thanks!

Edited by Kenns10

I am considering booking this excursion through NCL (I promised I would never book through the cruise line - but oh well) and had some questions.

4. Does the $99pp charge include anything other than the boat ride to/from Jost Van Dyke?

5. Is this any different than going to one of the popular beaches on the main Island? I know there are safari taxi's that will take you there for like $16pp, compared to the $99pp for this...

Thanks!

1. The boat stays anchored while you are ashore.

2. It is just a beach day. The bars have chairs, hammocks, etc. that are free.

3. People just hang out at one or more of the various bars, with the Soggy Dollar being the most famous, but there others there too.

4. the charge is basically for the boat ride. There may be some beverages provided on the way back.

5. Is it different? I don't think there is a beach in the Caribbean that compares to White Bay.

The boats are moored offshore unless they can beach and use a sand anchor. So you either get your feet wet or the water could be over your head due to the sharp drop of the shore. White Bay is a party spot during the day, especially on weekends, nothing like it once was. But cruising brings more people to these islands today of course. There will be daysails stopping in from Tortola and STT as well as private boats spending the day there.

As mentioned it is the busiest at the Soggy $, be sure to wander over to Seddy's One Love to watch his card and magis tricks, or to Ivan's Stress Free Bar for a less busy spot. Chris & Bonky have a newer spot on Little Jost if you somehow get a chance to get there.

To both who replied, thank you so much! Very helpful.

We are likely going to do Trunk Bay from St. Thomas (on our own) so I am leaning towards this excursion with NCL. However, since it's really just paying for the boat ride to/from Tortola, is there a cheaper way to get there on our own? Thanks again!

There are 2 other options -

One is taking a taxi to West End and the New Horizon ferry to Great Harbor on Jost and a taxi over to White Bay. Total round trip travel time is about 2.5 hrs and cost is about $65pp for 2, a little less for 3 or more.

http://newhorizonferry.com/#/

There area couple of gents in Cane Garden Bay that have a water taxi service from there to Jost, they will drop you at White Bay and pick you up at WB or GH, your choice. But these are hard to schedule when stopping on a cruise, it's easier to get with them while staying on Tortola and schedule that. But Glenn has a rental outfit in CGB and you may be able to get with him. The price will probably be higher unless split between 4 ppl...

Cane Garden Bay Pleasure Boats & Water Sports

Cane Garden Bay

British Virgin Islands

Phone: +1 284 495 9528

Fax: 284 495 9984

www.canegardenbaypleasure.com

Thanks!

i just got back from this tour and we had a wonderful day , we had older folks with us 60+ and they had no problems getting to shore , they dropped us in about 3 feet of water so it wasnt a swim at all , it is JUST a beach day , we got painkillers , lunch at soggy dollar , they have chairs and patio tables , the water is beautiful , if you can find your own transportation for 16$ DO IT ... the 99$ is only the ride to get there on the CAT and a few not so good glasses of rhum punch.