Did Carnival's Military Discount Eligibility for Veterans Change?

I have been watching a cruise on Carnival and noticed that military rates were available this morning. The thing is...when we have booked using military in the past we were able to do so because Veterans with an Honorable Discharge that served 2 years was included.

Below you will see the description for Military Eligibility and it does not include Veterans. Is this a misprint or did Carnival change the policy?

Available to the following members of the United States Military: active personnel, reserve personnel, active cadets, U.S. Coast Guard personnel, active member of the National Guard, Uniformed members of the USPHS (U.S. Public Health Services), retired personnel. Also available to the following members of Canadian National Defense: active personnel, reserve personnel, retired personnel. Eligibility documents must be submitted to interlin e@carnival.com. Verification documents must be submitted for confirmed reservations within 72 hours for cruises outside one week prior to sailing and 24 hours for cruises within one week prior to sailing. Onboard credit is provided as a refundable on-board credit to your Sail & Sign account up to $25 per person up to a maximum of $50 per stateroom on select 3-5 day sailings and up to $50 per person up to a maximum of $100 per stateroom on select 6 day and greater sailings. If your Sail & Sign account has a cash balance at the end of the cruise after all authorized purchases have been applied to the account, any remaining unused portion of the onboard credit will be delivered in check form to your stateroom on the morning of debarkation with your final Sail & Sign statement. Onboard credit may not be applied to cruise fare or Government taxes and fees. Savings and onboard credit amounts can vary by sailing.

Do Veterans no longer receive the military discount?

I don't know that their policy has changed over the past few years. We've been taking advantage of the military rate when available for many years; although I'm in a slightly different category (retired military), which is specifically listed in the policy you cited. They do require acceptable proof of eligibility for the rate at time of booking, such as a scanned DD-214, or copy of an ID card, etc.

Best advice I can give is to call them and ask... won't hurt, right? And make sure you tell them that you've qualified for the rate in the past. They can look at your past bookings to validate that.

Good luck! ;)

Thanks Krooznut! I emailed Interline at Carnival a couple of days ago but have not heard back as of yet. I did talk to my Carnival PVP and she told me that Veterans are still eligible for the Military Discount. Looks like a typo on Carnival's website.

Good to hear.. Did you decide to book the cruise you were looking at?

No. Right now it is a toss up. We can't decide on if we want to sail Princess or Carnival. Carnival really needs to step up and give some cheaper prices considering how we loved Princess last time we sailed on her. Prices are pretty much the same right now.

I just wanted to say I received an email from Carnival yesterday and was told that Veterans are still included in the discount. Below is the email.

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

The military rate is still available to veterans serving at least 2 years with an honorable discharge. Once booked you must provide proof by submitting your DD214 to interline@ carnival.com

Thank you for choosing Carnival.

Sincerely,

Francisco Murillo

Carnival Cruise Line

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to say I received an email from Carnival yesterday and was told that Veterans are still included in the discount. Below is the email.

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

The military rate is still available to veterans serving at least 2 years with an honorable discharge. Once booked you must provide proof by submitting your DD214 to interline@ carnival.com

Thank you for choosing Carnival.

Sincerely,

Francisco Murillo

Carnival Cruise Line

I was just about to say that retired personnel would include veterans.

• 4 weeks later...
Sweet! I see my price dropped 100 for a military discount! I'm going to grab my dd 214 and take advantage of the price drop

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The price of the cruise we were looking at dropped $100 for military rates also with a $50obc. Needless to say we booked a b2b.:D:D The military rate is $100 cheaper than any other rate. First time I have seen this!

I found it unusual that the miltary savings rate with obc was cheaper than any other rate. But my taxes went up??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes taxes may or may not go up. If you get a price adjustment and the taxes have gone up then you will be charged the new tax amount. This has happened to me several times. But if they go down again then when you get on the ship you will receive an obc for the decrease in taxes.

• 1 month later...
The price of the cruise we were looking at dropped $100 for military rates also with a $50obc. Needless to say we booked a b2b.:D:D The military rate is $100 cheaper than any other rate. First time I have seen this!

I have NEVER seen prices for military be so cheap in all my years of cruising with Carnival, we just booked a 5 night for Oct just because we couldn't pass it up

I see that Carnival has a military sale that ends 31 Jul. I want to see what's available next Mar and there isn't a military rate listed when I do a mock booking for that month. With this sale, you have to sail by 31 Dec. Am I missing something or are the military rates for a limited time?

You would think that Carnival would offer these rates year round to thank all the military members for all they do.

I see that Carnival has a military sale that ends 31 Jul. I want to see what's available next Mar and there isn't a military rate listed when I do a mock booking for that month. With this sale, you have to sail by 31 Dec. Am I missing something or are the military rates for a limited time?

You would think that Carnival would offer these rates year round to thank all the military members for all they do.

The military sale that is going on now is for cruises only through Dec. Supposedly they extended the sale until Aug. 31st.

Carnival has never offered year round discounts on every cruise to military members. Most of the time it was only $10pp off and it was hit or miss if they even offered military rates. So this sale is actually the best military deal I have ever seen Carnival offer.

• 3 weeks later...

AH0Y SHIPMATES

I live in JAX Fl and like the 5 day trip occasionally when my wife is busy I go solo

I booked one ,got mil rate , paid single rate and got $25 OBC. next month couldn't get solo rate and there was NO military credits. 2 months later got mil rate , free upgrade to outside cabin and $25 OBC

It changes with every cruise. You just have to stay on Carnival website every day and catch it at the "lucky" time

• 4 weeks later...

I see you already got your answer. I booked in August, and yes, the do still honor veterans! ;-) I was confused because the write up wasn't clear either. I called, got an answer, booked, emailed DD214 (I wish they would keep a data base for that!)

Happy cruising!

The military sale that is going on now is for cruises only through Dec. Supposedly they extended the sale until Aug. 31st.

Carnival has never offered year round discounts on every cruise to military members. Most of the time it was only $10pp off and it was hit or miss if they even offered military rates. So this sale is actually the best military deal I have ever seen Carnival offer.

We got an 8c balcony, 1/5/14 sailing on the Miracle, for about $100 a day per person for a cruise around New Years, PLUS $250 total cabin credit! ($50 for veteran, 100 for past guest booking, and 100 from travelocity.)

This definitely was a super deal for Veterans!

Archived