white pass and yukon train

chismrules

This might sound stupid but I'm confused. Is there a difference between the white Pass and the Yukon train routes. I'm thinking a combo of train and tour bus would be best. I don't want to drive myself. Is there a tour that does the train and bus back where it stops at the place with the dogs. Thanks for clearing me up on the info.

It's the "White Pass & Yukon Route" railway (WP&YR), and it only has one line. Most people only go to the Summit, but you can also go to Fraser and connect with a bus/van there. The only independent tour I'm aware of that goes to the dog place as well as the train trip is http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/yukonrail.htmMurray

We had considered this trip for our upcoming cruise, but with it taking seven and a half hours, that put quite a time constraint on other activities. We ended up renting a car from Avis . This way, we will have the use of the vehicle the entire day if we so desire, and also be free to do many other small side trips. We will look forward to a different mode of transportation on our next trip (I hear that once to Alaska is never enough).

Good luck, and have a great time!

We did a Princess tour called the Yukon Expedition and White Pass Railroad just two weeks ago. We went by bus through Fraser to Caribou Crossing where there is a small tourist place that served lunch. They had the normal gift shop and also had sled dogs - some in an area where they were running loose, including two puppies and some in another area with the kennels. Kids were allowed in both areas and were playing with the pups. We then went back to Carcross for about an hour then back to Fraser where we boarded the train for the trip back to Skagway. Be sure to sit on the right if you are taking the train back. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip, and would definitely do it again. The people who signed up to do the dog sled tours during our cruise had them cancelled because of the weather.

Sue

We didn't do the White Pass and Yukon Railroad excursion but we did notice that there are a few independent companies that offer the same tour as the ship but for a much better price. Maybe someone has used one of the independent tour operators and can give you more info?

has anyone rented a car and just drove to area parks from the Ketchikan dock? if yes, did you enjoy it? Will the car rental company pick us up by the ship dock or can you tell me how far it is? I have been told that driving in Ketchikan is pretty easy as it is not a very big place to get lost! :) Please let me know where you drove and also are there admissions to the state parks? Thank you so much for any information!

Cowtec What side of the bus is best for going from Skagway to the Yukon? Thanks Denny

We just got back from Skagway and did the Ultimate White Pass Railway/bus/lunch Caribou Crossing trip. It was a 7-1/2 hour trip & well worth it, our only regret was that there wasn't any time left afterwards to do any shopping in Skagway:cool:....but, we didn't go to Alaska to shop, so the positive side far outweighted the inability to get a T-Shirt:D

Our recommendations would be.... based on which way the trip was made. We did the bus first and rode on the right side of the bus....best choice for seeing the sights. The bus stops at several locations for good pictures, so no matter what side you're on you'll get some good shots!

It took us into the Yukon and we had lunch at a little trading post where they also have sled dogs and you can go in and pet the sled dog puppies, feed them, donate to their upkeep if so desired, and take a short sled dog ride on a wheeled sled dog sled on the grass.... we didn't do this, seemed to leave a bit to be desired, since we were originally scheduled to go dog sledding on a glacier that was cancelled due to the weather:( bummer!! (Good weather = no snow = no dog sledding!!) But we got to pet the dog sled puppies anyway & take some nice pictures. Then we went back to Fraser where we caught the train for the return trip.

On the return trip via the train, we sat on the right side close to the back of the car we were assigned to. We could see everything beautifully out of the train car window and were close to the back so we could step out on the platform to take a few pictures from there as well. (The left side of the train rides alongside the mountain wall with very little to see)

has anyone rented a car and just drove to area parks from the Ketchikan dock? if yes, did you enjoy it? Will the car rental company pick us up by the ship dock or can you tell me how far it is? I have been told that driving in Ketchikan is pretty easy as it is not a very big place to get lost! :) Please let me know where you drove and also are there admissions to the state parks? Thank you so much for any information!

I have rented cars in Ketchikan several times. Alaska car rental, will pick up at the dock and in the past allowed you to drop off there, but verify current information. I drove to Ward Lake for hiking and Totem Bight and farther north, I drove the road south to the end. But downtown Ketchikan has more than enough to see and do for a first timer and a very walkable city.

Archived