Houston Restaurants

swscruiser

For Mexican, you might want to try the Cadillac Bar at Kemah. Good atmosphere, pretty good food, large portions, a little pricey The only good BBQ in that part of the world is in Pearland - a fairly good drive (my guess is 20 to 25 minutes) from Bayport Killen's Barbecue killensbarbecue.com Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the best Tex Mex is Lupe Tortilla & there is a nice one in that area. The fajita marinade is very different from everywhere else & we live here & eat lots of Tex Mex.

As far as really good BBQ, you'll have to go to Dallas & visit Red, Hot, & Blue. There is no outstanding BBQ in Houston. Just run of the mill counter service places that all serve about the same thing. There are one-off Mom & Pop operations that are outstanding, but you won't find them online usually. Sorry to be a downer about our BBQ, but it misses the mark with this Arkansas native.

I disagree with the previous poster's contention that there is no good BBQ in Houston and then to recommend a chain??? LOL

I'm from SC and love me some mustard based pork BBQ, and I lived in NC for years and enjoy both eastern and western style and after moving to Tejas las year I have come to appreciate a well smoked brisket. The recommendation to go to Killen's in Pearland is a GOOD one..it is incredible. However the drive won't be the issue...the hour or more wait is what keeps me from being there every Saturday. But if you aren't rushed for time, make the trip..and be sure to have their bread pudding..OMG!

Regarding Mexican, what is called Tex-Mex here is what was called Mexican in NC....but from what my Mexican native barber says isn't "real" Mexican. Anyway, I'm now going to suggest a texas chain, Pappasitos. Their steak fajitas are yummy! There is one not too far away from the port:

20099 Gulf Fwy‎, ‎Webster‎, ‎TX‎ ‎77598‎‎