North End or Logan Side?

GetNAway

We are planning to sightsee in Boston for two nights post cruise in late May (ship docks Friday - we fly home Sunday evening). Mostly interested in Freedom Trail and historic sites, maybe Salem. Pricing possible hotels in/around North End and the budget is taking a beating! Husband thinks we would be better served to stay at a less expensive property by the airport and water taxi over to do our sightseeing. Looking at the water taxi information that seems like a reasonable option.

Would like to ask anyone who might have done that if it worked well for you? We are reasonably mobile but arthritic knees require occasional rest breaks to keep going.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Prices in Boston itself are sky high. Getting to the water taxi dock from most of the airport hotels (other than the Hyatt) can be tricky and require multiple bus transfers. You might be better off staying south of the city along the Red Line subway, such as at the Doubletree Club Bayside, or, if you're looking cheaper, the Comfort Inn or Ramada on Morrissey Blvd.

Hotwire is your friend in Boston. It looks like you are looking at May 29-31. There is a 4* hotel in the Waterfront area for $189 plus tax that is highly likely to the the Westin Waterfront. If not, it will be the Seaport or Renaissance. If you can roll your luggage for a long block, these hotels are right at the World Trade Center stop on the Silver Line, which makes them super convenient to the port, Logan Airport, and downtown Boston by public transit. This is a great deal for Boston - I can't believe you will find any hotel at the airport (which likely means Revere, Winthrop, or Saugus) that is as inexpensive when you factor in all the time, costs, and inconvenience for getting in and out of the city. The water taxi sounds fine, but it does cost $10/pp each way from the airport.

This hotel offering is on Hotwire all the time and we always recommend it. Cruisers have been very very happy with this offering.

What exact dates are you looking for? You may be bumping into graduations. If you want to do the tourist stuff, you will be better off anywhere in downtown Boston than over at the airport or south of town.

You likely are right. With so many colleges and universities in Boston, people make hotel reservations for graduations many months in advance and the prices are steep. Anyone wishing reservations from mid May through early June, should think about booking soon. The longer you wait, the fewer choices and prices will not likely drop.

Thank you for the responses and information - we are looking at May 29-31. I've always been leary of Hotwire in a place I don't know so it helps a lot to hear a local perspective!

Luggage is all on wheels and the older I get the lighter I learn to pack so that helps!