Arcadia Nat'l Park - Questions please :)

Salasrocks

Hello, all.

I am an avid hiker and love a trail. While on a September cruise we have a stop in Bar Harbor (SerenadeOTS-Sept17thsailing).

I very much want to go to Arcadia. The cruise line offers tours. I have also seen the Oli's Trolley and others. I know the rental cars are quite a journey to get to.

Here's the question part...

Are there any recommendations for someone who wants to be ACTIVE at Arcadia, versus just being on the mountain road loop?

I would prefer to hike some trails - there are certainly enough of them, it seems... BUT, then again, the trails might be give much better view than the road? I have no clue.

I'd also be content with a long run - not a 27 mile one :) but I could certainly do a jog, if that is what gets me to see some better spots. I don't bike. This bony butt doesn't get on bike seats...so that is not even an option :) People will look at me funny if I am massaging my toosh for the remainder of the cruise...

Any suggestions, pointers, etc would be HELPFUL! If a hike does not really "get me anything" besides steps, I can stick to a "normal" tour...

Thanks!

Salas

First things first, it is ACADIA, not ARCADIA.

As for hiking, there is the Ocean Trail which parallels the Park Loop Rd from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs. about 3 miles in length. Starting at Sand Beach, the ocean is on your left, and the park rising on the right. Another trail would be the Cadillac Mountain North Ridge Trail which goes from the Park Loop Rd to the summit of Cadillac Mountain, round trip distance of about 4.4 miles. Has good views of Frenchman Bay.

Something to consider would be walking, hiking, or jogging on the Carriage Roads. There are 57 miles of CRs which are free from vehicular travel. CRs are in forested areas so the views may be limited.

One problem you may face is transportation to/from any of the trail heads. The free bus service (Island Explorer, 2016 schedule) runs a reduced schedule in September. With planning, you may be able to make it work with IE.

SBtS

Hello, all.

I am an avid hiker and love a trail.

Here's the question part...

Are there any recommendations for someone who wants to be ACTIVE at Arcadia, versus just being on the mountain road loop?

I'm with you. I can't imagine going to Acadia and not getting on a trail. There is a trail for every kind of hiker in Acadia.

If you want a walk on relatively level ground then Ocean Drive Trail, which is the most scenic part of the Park Loop Road is for you. It has spectacular ocean views. If you want a walk on level ground that is more wooded with pond or lake views, look into the carriage roads near Bubble Pond or Eagle Lake.

If you are OK with raised walkways made of split logs and exposed tree roots, you could hike around Jordan Pond. You can circle the entire pond, but be advised it's longer than it looks.

If you want to climb up a rocky trail, which to me is what Acadia is all about, I'd suggest Great Head, which is right near Sand Beach and also close the picturesque Ocean Drive Trail. That is a short hike with excellent ocean views, plus you gain some altitude. Not much but some. Hiking shoes are advised.

Gorham Mt. Trail can also be accessed from the Ocean Drive Trail. Excellent ocean views from a moderate mountain hike.

The trail to Bubble Rock is popular, but steep. This is on South Bubble.

Every trail I've listed here has a stop on the Island Explorer bus. Even in September, the buses run frequently. Every 30 minutes or so. They stop running earlier in the evening, though. Around 4 or 4:30.

Oh, I forgot to mention. My avatar is a picture of my dog sitting on North Bubble with Jordan Pond and lovely ocean views in the background. Take the same trail as you would take to Bubble Rock, then go right at the trail marker for North Bubble. Gorgeous view for a short but steep hike.

Enjoy!

Edited by portiemom

Thank you so much!

I will look into all of those trails.

So, in theory, I could get a taxi/bus/whatever to Acadia, then take the explorer bus inside the park from trail to trail as desired, and a taxi back to the port later in the day... this is what I wanted to learn :)

Thank you for the detailed descriptions of some trails - it certainly paints a picture. I appreciate it!

Thank you so very much!

Thank you so much!

I will look into all of those trails.

So, in theory, I could get a taxi/bus/whatever to Acadia, then take the explorer bus inside the park from trail to trail as desired, and a taxi back to the port later in the day... this is what I wanted to learn :)

Thank you for the detailed descriptions of some trails - it certainly paints a picture. I appreciate it!

In theory, that sounds good, but the devil is in the details.

The bus you would most likely use is the route #4 that does the Park loop Rd which has a one way portion. So unless you selected the trails in the order the bus passes them, you spend at least an hour on the bus before you get back to the starting point at the being of the Park Loop Rd.

If you look at the map in the link above, the one way portion starts at waypoint B (Cadillac North Ridge Trail) and runs clockwise to waypoint E (Wildwood Stables).

The route #3 bus does the eastern side of the Park Loop Rd and then exits the park, and returns to Bar Harbor.

The route #5 bus does the western side of the Park Loop Rd and includes waypoint B (Cadillac North Ridge Trail), and waypoint C (Bubble Pond). Then continues on to Northeast Harbor and then returns to BH by the same route.

With planning, you may be able to do it, but the biggest obstacle will be the time available.

Good luck.

SBtS

After posting my prior post, but not quickly enough to edit it, I thought of which trails you could do and what order.

First take a taxi to the trail head of CM North Ridge Trail on the Park Loop Rd. Hike to the summit and return to the trail head.

On the PLR, wave down a route #3 or #4 bus. Take the bus to Sand Beach where nearby is the start of the Ocean Trail is. Hike to the end of OT at Otter Cliffs and make your way to the PLR where you would wave down only a route #4 bus. The #3 buses exit the park after Otter Cliffs, and return to Bar Harbor.

Ride the #4 bus until Jordan Pond House. If you leave the bus there, you could hike the Jordan Pond Shore Trail. After finishing the hike, make your way back to JPH where you could pick up an inbound bus. OR, you stay on the bus and ride to Bubble Rock where the start of the Bubble Rock Trail is. Make your way back to where the bus dropped you where you could pick up an inbound bus.

I have made no estimate of the time this all will take, but it is something that can be done.

ANP hiking trails.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

Wow, SB. Good going working all that out. I never even considered that the OP wanted to hike all of those trails on the same day. :eek: That is a lot of hiking - for me that would be several days worth of hiking. But there are many, many hardier hikers out there than I am. Perhaps the OP is one of them. I've read of people who hike from one side of the park to the other on the east side of Somes Sound. It's doable, but not something I aspire to do. I'm a more leisurely hiker.:cool:

My post was meant to give some choices. I was also trying to think from the perspective of someone on a cruise who might want to hike but have time for other activities, as well. The town of Bar Harbor has a lot to offer.

Honestly, if the OP is still out there Great Head, some of the Ocean Drive Trail, South Bubble to Bubble Rock, and maybe part of the Jordan Pond Trail are reasonable on the same day, but on the edge of pushing it. When I hike the North Ridge Trail or all of the Jordan Pond Trail, it's a half a day (at least 3 hours). And then I need a nap.:o As a matter of fact, if it were me I'd rather just do a strenuous hike up Champlain or Dorr. Or head up the North Ridge Trail of Cadillac then continue down into the Gorge and then across Dorr. That is a fabulous hike, but it would take me all day (5-6 hours). Of course, then again, I have the pace of a tortoise. I'm never in any hurry when I'm on a trail in Acadia.

Ultimately, the OP needs to get a trail map in hand and decide what they're up for. The fabulous thing about hiking in Acadia is the ability to knit together multiple trails, or not, to get just what you're up for on the day.