Taxi from Hilo port to Hawaii Tropical Gardens

Ferndale Girl

I was wondering if it would be easy to catch a taxi at the port to go to the gardens - it seems to be around 8 miles - any idea how much it would cost? Also...would we be able to get a taxi back when we're ready to go back. Princess has an excursion there but I thought it would be nice to be able to stay as long as we wanted.

I agree with "agabbymama", rent a car. A taxi will likely cost as much as a car. The gardens is not that far, but it is located on a remote road with little though traffic. So you would have to arrange for a return taxi ride.

The garden is very nice and worth the time if you enjoy natural gardens (not fancy landscaping). There is a very steep walkway from the entrance building down to sea level and much of the gardens. I believe they will provide transportation if asked, but it is typical for visitors to walk. The walk back up is the tough part. We really enjoyed our visit and recommend it, but just wanted you to know the possible issue with the walk. (Note: It was several years ago when we visited, so things may have changed.)