Upgrade with Visa Points

I am thinking about redeeming 15,000 visa points for the upgrade from my inside room to the central park view room. I am currently booked in an inside room on the Allure. I got a very good rate at the start of the BOGOHO sale and since then the rates have gone up drastically. It is a difference of about $500 between what I paid and what the central park view rooms are going for.

I am wondering if I were to redeem that now and the prices go back down would it then be possible to upgrade to a balcony room for free if the prices go down enough to what the central park view rooms are currently going for. I just don't know how that works with pricing.

Example - if I use the upgrade for the Central Park View room now when it is currently at $1200 pp, and after final payment there are balcony cabins available for $1200 or less can I upgrade for free? Or would I have to pay some sort of difference. Or possibly later if I would even be willing to pay for an upgrade to a balcony how would that work with the pricing?

I hope this makes since!

You can not use any B of A awards on any BOGOHO reservations for anything other than OBC, or that is what I have been told when I called them. You can give them a call to confirm this at 888-305-4626

Edited by molly361

You can not use any B of A awards on any BOGOHO reservations for anything other than OBC, or that is what I have been told when I called them. You can give them a call to confirm this at 888-305-4626

So you can't use them to reduce the price of cruise???

Even if you could, RCL's crack IT System would reprice the cruise to today's rates first, so you'd probably end up paying more after everything was recalculated.

Sad but true- The last reservation that I had with a B of A award on it would re-price every time I went into the reservation. I had to call numerous times to get the correct pricing back and the balance back to zero:rolleyes::(

Here's my experience with using Visa points to upgrade your cabin. Even though - in some instances - it appears to be the best value, I have ceased to redeem points for upgrades.

If you use Visa points to upgrade an inside cabin to an ocean-view cabin (for example), your reservation APPEARS to be for an ocean-view cabin. The reservations people have no visibility to the fact that you only PAID for an inside cabin and UPGRADED to the ocean-view using points. The problem comes in if there is a price drop. When you call to have the price drop applied to your reservation, they will want to refund you the difference between the cost of the ocean-view at the time you booked versus the cost of the ocean-view currently. They don't want to drop your price to the current inside-cabin fare, because - according to their records - you booked an ocean-view cabin.

This happened to me and it took a number of calls from my travel agent to sort out. Since then, I've used my points for a discounted fare, rather than an upgrade. A discounted fare is not impacted by a price drop...I still can get the price drop - no problem.

Just my two cents.

Be Afraid, be VERY AFRAID!!!:eek::eek:

Oh, I am. BOA just reissued my credit card, and the number on the setsail pass is my old number. I'm afraid if I go in and change those four digits, the system will re-price the cruise. I'd rather take my chances and do the CC change at the port, than risk going on another scavenger hunt for signs of intelligent life at RCL's HQ:eek:

Oh, I am. BOA just reissued my credit card, and the number on the setsail pass is my old number. I'm afraid if I go in and change those four digits, the system will re-price the cruise. I'd rather take my chances and do the CC change at the port, than risk going on another scavenger hunt for signs of intelligent life at RCL's HQ:eek:

That is what I did- I just handed them a different credit card than was listed on the Set Sail. They did not say a word. they just ran thru the card I handed them

So, If I am reading the ever changing "Rules" right, If there are any discounts applied (55+, C&A, Diamond, etc), you cannot use your Visa Points for a free cruise for 2. (Cruise Vacation, 125,000 points).

I called 3 times and got 3 different answers. Anyone have experience on using thier points for the free cruise for 2?

So, If I am reading the ever changing "Rules" right, If there are any discounts applied (55+, C&A, Diamond, etc), you cannot use your Visa Points for a free cruise for 2. (Cruise Vacation, 125,000 points).

I called 3 times and got 3 different answers. Anyone have experience on using thier points for the free cruise for 2?

That is correct- you can not use your C and A Diamond discount if using points for a free cruise.

Just so you are clear, you can use your points for a "free" cruise that you have booked with discounts. However, you will have to remove the discounts and re-price with the standard fare. It still might be worth it to use the points.