Question about Avalon Rhine Strasbourg Excursion

YoungDubFan

We are leaving this Friday for Avalon's Romantic Rhine from Zurich to Amsterdam. My mother is interested, based on the description in the paperwork, in the Optional Strasbourg Excursion to the Alsace Countryside. My question is, is this the excursion through the Black Forest to the cuckoo clock place that I have heard bad reviews about or is this something else? I'm also going to post this on Avalon's Facebook page to see if I can get an answer.

The cuckoo clock tour starts in Breisach. I think the tour you are asking about is the winery tour.

We did the Avalon tour from Strausbourg to Obernai France. It was about an hour one way on the bus. I imagined the tour would be walking the vineyards tasting grapes off the vine and then sampling the completed product in a cave.

It was pretty much just visting the wine 'cave' where the barrels were stored. Kind of interesting but not that much. We did get to sample about 4 or 5 different wines from the Robert Blanck winery and he did talk a bit about his business. It really was more of a sales pitch as you could visit the retail store afterwards and purchase his wines.

It was sort of an expensive bus trip if I remember correctly. About 50 euro each.

If I ever went again I might decide to stay in Strausbourg and just shop. Overall , it was an OK optional tour.

We did the optional tour to Colmar and it was a lovely town.

Wevisited Colmar on the way to Strasbourg on a previous trip and definitely agree that Colmar is a good town to visit. We are booked on the same itinerary that you are taking only we arebooked in September and would be interested to hear your report on the trip particularly good recommendations.

Happy Cruising.

Robert.

Archived