Shaggers! Beach music cruise wanted!

cb at sea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found a cruise called the Legends of Rock & Roll Cruise. It has Al Jardine (from the Beach Boys), Sam Moore (from Sam & Dave), among quite a few more performers. It leaves Miami on April 28-May 2 on Carnival, but you have to go through a travel agency, I think, to book it, not Carnival. You have to have some kind of braclet or badge, to take part in the concerts, autograph sessions, etc. Since I'm new, and I just saw that no links to travel websites allowed, so I don't want to get in trouble on my first post by doing that, you can google "Legends of Rock & Roll Cruise" and the website should come up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had seen a "Blues Cruise" on HAL, but the bands are true "blues" and I was hoping for something with more R&B flavor!

Oh well! I guess I'll just have to keep heading to Myrtle Beach for the bands there!

• 2 months later...

mmhmom--thanks, but I can't get the link to work! I LOVE Band of Oz!!!!!! And Coastline!

We'll be at the beach music weekend at Va. Beach this May--can't wait! Hoping the weather will be great!

I'm going to try typing in the address, but if it doesn't work, can you give me the date of this cruise?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I love the whole idea of a cruise like this. I'm from N.C. and live in Tucson for now which means no one even knows what I'm talking about in reference to shag or even beach music. I get my fix on an annual basis by flying back home, but a cruise would be awesome.

I Googled "beach music cruise" and found one going out of Jacksonville, FL on Carnival "Fascination" on Feb. 2, 2009. They cruise to Key West, Nassau, and back to Jacksonville. The bands featured are Band of Oz, Coastline, and Sea-Cruz along with a couple of beach music DJs. The date conflicts with other plans we have, so we can't make it. Anyway, that was what I discovered in case it helps those of you interested in such a theme cruise.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a cruise, but if you wanna hear The Embers and The Fantastic Shakers on a land mini getaway at Myrtle Beach for Valentine's weekend..... you only have to rent a house at www oceanlakes dot com (ask for anyone willing to reduce their rates at this late date) and reserve 2 tickets for their Beach n Boogie weekend, rent a golf cart and party on!

We did this 2 years ago and are going back this year since they have brought The Embers back; quite the bargain and can't wait! A little known shaggers secret :) If you want to know more, my email addy is in my signature..............

The Feb. 2009 cruise is Sold-Out....I'm waiting to hear about the next one...I think this would be SOOOOOO much fun!

We own a condo in N. Myrtle, and go down whenever there's a big "beach music" thing going on...Cammy's, SOS, etc...

We love Band of Oz, CWB, Coastline....hell, we love'em all!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be the first to admit I know very little about shag and Beach Music. I am a TA that has put together large music cruises such as JazzFest at Sea for the past six years. (No, we are not part of Jazz Cruises LLC that has received some bad press on here.) Our cruise has always been focused on traditional, classic jazz and swing. We, for some time now, have wanted to branch out to other musical areas. Obviously, we know the themed cruising side and you (specifically you cb at sea) know the music side.

So why don't we get together either through this forum or privately and put together an unforgettable cruise! I am totally open on bands you would like us to hire, itineraries and cruise lines. (Believe me though, some are way more accommodating than others.)

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has input. Let's do this!

Bret

Well, I just found out that Carnival will be having some sort of Beach Music Cruise in Oct...but I think they will only have DJ's--not what I'm looking for!

Cruiseguyinorl--while I LOVE the bands, I have no idea how to go about setting something like that in motion! I know there was one in Feb...(Go to Ocean Drive Happens.com to see the pictures!!!), but we missed it!

Right now, hubby is having some health issues, so I'm biding my time until I know what the next couple of months will be like!

It's ok cb at sea, you don't have to know anything about getting it together. I would just like to hear from everyone on who they would like to see onboard, when is a good time to go and how long a cruise does everyone want. Keep in mind that the least expensive time to travel is September through January excluding holidays. Let me know...would love to hear from everyone.

Bret

Ok--on a "beach music" cruise, here are the bands I'd like, (in a perfect world!).

Coastline Band

Craig Woolard Band

Band of Oz

Holiday Band

FAB (Fat Ammons Band)

(This isn't strictly "beach music", but great anyway)---Tommy Castro Band!

If I knew far enough in advance (and I'd prefer to sail in the spring, rather than the fall), I'd book in a NY minute!

• 2 weeks later...
The Feb. 2009 cruise is Sold-Out....I'm waiting to hear about the next one...I think this would be SOOOOOO much fun!

We own a condo in N. Myrtle, and go down whenever there's a big "beach music" thing going on...Cammy's, SOS, etc...

We love Band of Oz, CWB, Coastline....hell, we love'em all!

Have you found a "shaggers" cruise yet? I am fascinated by the shaggers dancing. I have been reading Willie C's chat list. I have even thought about coming to Myrtle Beach for the Spring Fest in April. I would love to learn how to shag dance! I am planning to invite as many shaggers as I can so they can maybe show us how to "shag dance" on our cruise. Maybe even have a contest.

Since you were asking about a music cruise and have found nothing to date (I think), I thought I should mention a cruise I am working on. It is called SOPRANO'S OLDIES CRUISE. It departs out of NJ on Sept 26, 2009 on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. It is a 5-Night cruise to Bermuda. We will have 2 Oldies Bands performing. I think it will be a lot of fun!

Colleen

Nope---haven't found one with live bands yet---there are a few that will feature DJ's--but I'm more into bands than recorded music (for dancing!) Most shaggers prefer DJ's, because the speed of the song doesn't vary from time to time....most have choreographed moves...I'm nowhere NEAR that advanced! We just like the bands!

Do come to Myrtle Beach! It's soooooo much fun! May 16 and 17 is the Little River Crab Fest---lots of good bands will be playing... (Little River is about 4 miles north of N. Myrtle)

Who are the bands on your "oldies" cruise?

Nope---haven't found one with live bands yet---there are a few that will feature DJ's--but I'm more into bands than recorded music (for dancing!) Most shaggers prefer DJ's, because the speed of the song doesn't vary from time to time....most have choreographed moves...I'm nowhere NEAR that advanced! We just like the bands!

Do come to Myrtle Beach! It's soooooo much fun! May 16 and 17 is the Little River Crab Fest---lots of good bands will be playing... (Little River is about 4 miles north of N. Myrtle)

Who are the bands on your "oldies" cruise?

Larry Chance & The Earls ('I Believe', 'Remember Then', 'Never') and

Danny & The Juniors w/Joe Terry ('At The Hop', "Rock and Roll is here to Stay')

We also have actor Tony Darrow as the host.

Colleen

• 4 weeks later...

Although it's not in the spring, here is a cruise that perfectly fits the bill for you as far as great beach bands and music to shag dance to. It's hosted by the Holiday Band and this year they are also having The Castaways Band, Rhonda McDaniel, and DJ Jay Jenkins. We went last year and they had a couple of different entertainers with the Holiday Band, and we had a great time. The Halloween Costume contest was hilarious!

The thing that really impressed me was the fact that they didn't oversell the cruise, so all the performances weren't completely elbow to elbow like some of the other beach music cruises. Other than the deck party, most of the other performances were exclusive to their guests only. To top it off, when we got back home we got a nice handwritten letter from Mike Taylor of the Holiday Band thanking us for being a guest on their cruise. We were fans of the band already, but that really was a nice gesture on his part.

This year's entertainment lineup is very good and we can't wait to sail and shag!!

See this site for more info:

http://www.holidaybandcruise.com/

BTW, I was cruising this site for research and had to sign up so I could post this message. I'll try to fill out my profile soon. I'm afraid we aren't as experienced in cruising as many of you though!!

Thanks! That's what I was looking for! There's another "shagging" cruise, but it only has DJ's--not really my thing! We just love live bands (hubby's a musician...so he really appreciates accomplished musicians!!!)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...