Acapulco

billathome

I was surprised when HAL added Acapulco back onto itineraries for the 2017/2018 cruises. Acapulco was dropped a number of years ago because of all the violence there. I can't remember the last time we were there, but we didn't even get off the ship. We got tired of these so called "policemen" following us wherever we walked and trying to get us to take a tour.

Glad that HAL is dropping that port.

I will always remember making port in Acapulco during the Viet Nam era while in the USCG. We were on the way to the Far East as part of a three ship squadron. The ships anchored in the bay and used the two surfboats we each carried to tender ashore. It was a lot easier going over the side in the bay on the Jacobs Ladder than in open sea!

While there, the Los Brisas Hotel offered the crews special rates for liberty ashore. A real bed for a change instead of the ship's rack! Plus the We even rented one of the pink Jeeps to travel around in. We ventured out to the bullring and the famous cliff diver while on a 24-hour liberty.

Alas, I always wanted to return someday.

While there, the Los Brisas Hotel offered the crews special rates for liberty ashore.

Las Brisas was where my DW and I honeymooned. Our casita:

cabana.jpg

And the view from it:

viewn.jpg

How unfortunate that the beautiful city of Acapulco has become too dangerous to visit, at least for now.

Las Brisas was where my DW and I honeymooned. Our casita:

cabana.jpg

And the view from it:

viewn.jpg

How unfortunate that the beautiful city of Acapulco has become too dangerous to visit, at least for now.

Thanks for the photos which bring back memories! There were four of us to share the casita. If my memory is correct, the opposite casita (two casitas per pool) did not have a group of sailors! Luckily we weren't too rowdy. What amazed me at the time was how cheap the management rented them to the crews considering it was April. The Princess had just opened which could be why

Losing cruise ship port calls and tourism in Acapulco and other Mexican Riviera towns represents a huge loss to the Mexican states, the country and the businesses that have investments there. With those kind of losses, and the bad press resulting from the many travel warnings, you would think that the Mexican government would launch an all-out war on the drug cartels and gangs. But they don't seem to be able (or want ) to try to control it. Look at Bogota Columbia. Pablo Escobar destroyed the reputation of that beautiful country back in the 80's and early 90's. Once they finally eliminated him, and cleaned up the country, tourism is back. Mexico could do the same.

Hello!

We posted a story here on Cruise Critic last Wednesday, March 22:

Holland America Line Pulls Acapulco From Cruise Itineraries Due to Security Concerns

Enjoy,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic