Giving back

dooham5

Normally when we vacation, we visit poor(er) countries than the USA. We try to bring some donations for schools or deserving children. This vacation we are cruising to Bermuda. I'd like to keep up the tradition, does anyone know if there is something that they are in need of?

Just so you don't think I'm too much of a saint, I do it so I can feel better about myself and how much I spend (waste) on a vacation.

I appreciate any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normally when we vacation, we visit poor(er) countries than the USA. We try to bring some donations for schools or deserving children. This vacation we are cruising to Bermuda. I'd like to keep up the tradition, does anyone know if there is something that they are in need of?

Just so you don't think I'm too much of a saint, I do it so I can feel better about myself and how much I spend (waste) on a vacation.

I appreciate any ideas.

What do you do when you visit countries that are not poorer than the USA?

Bermuda has the fourth highest per capita income in the world. 70 per cent higher than the USA.

I've bought a lot of school supplies to places like Jamaica or Dominican Republic (backpacks, paper, pencils. . .etc)

I don't think they're needed in Bermuda though.

Jamaica and the Dominican Republic are third world. Bermuda is not third world.

You can enjoy your vacation in Bermuda with a clear conscience.

Welcome to my beautiful island, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Tourism makes up half our income - I suggest the best thing for you to do is to spend some actual money while you enjoy yourself (taxis, restaurants, shopping) and the cash will percolate through the economy in one way or another.

Please don't be like so many cruise pax who buy a bus pass and a cheap tee shirt and begrudge even that.

We will still smile and say hello though, whatever you choose to do, that's just the Bermudian way.