Does Norwegian publish the number of times they missed Great Stirrup Cay?

Fred Quimby

Sorry, perhaps I could have also offered to serve drinks or maybe staff the excursion desk? Knowing that information is their responsibility, they took the easy way out. If NCL spent resources these past years adding a pier to the island instead of extra revenue generating facilities we would have been able to visit. I don't read about missing stops at other private islands near as much as GSC. In fact, with Castaway Cay it's a rarity.

I believe HMC is about the same, and from what I've read, it's really next to impossible to build a dock at GSC (they built one at Harvest Cay).

Just for information, there is a world of difference in the geography of Castaway Cay and GSC. Castaway has a good "bend" in the island, with a natural cove, that only needed deepening and widening to make a berth and pier, which uses the island as protection from the weather and seas. Even this needed a lot of approval from the Bahamian government to get the dredging done. GSC has the lagoon on one side (which would never be dredged for a harbor, as it would be too expensive and damage too much reef), and then deep water on the other side. The only opportunity for a pier at GSC would be to have one sticking straight out from the island, and this would be unprotected from any weather, and would result in most likely just as many missed port calls as when tendered, as the ship could not stay alongside the pier.

Thanks, you make some great points, as does mjcakmom, perhaps even better reasoning why they should be prepared with better alternatives than to add another sea day. I do disagree with those who say it is what it is and give a free pass for not receiving something you've paid for.

Edited by Alatraveler1
add