Denpasar Bali to Labuan Bajo Indonesia (for Komodo or Rinca Islands)

Jade13

I will be in Bali next year and am looking at options to fly to Labuan Bajo (LBJ), Indonesia, which is the closest airport for boats to Komodo or Rinca Islands.

I swore we would never ever fly Garuda Air again after a flight on that airline almost 15 years ago on our way from Indonesia to Queensland Australia.

However, it is the only airline option that comes up on ITA, and might also be the only one with a 6:00am departure each day for morning arrival.

Dates are somewhat flexible but looking at end of February or the beginning of March. Are there any other options? Has this airline gotten any safer?

Denpasar Bali (DPS) to Labuan Bajo (LBJ)

Garuda Indonesian Airways 7026 Dep: 6:00 am Arr: 7:35 am 1h 35m ATR 72 Economy (Y)

There is at 1:05pm return plus a later one each day.

Edited by Jade13

Hi! We took Garuda from Bali to Yogyakarta Indonesia Feb. 2015 roundtrip and it was a very good flight. Only about one hour flight time but we got snack and drink. Plane was in excellent shape as far as looks and sound -- I don't know more than that:p. The plane we took was larger probably than the one going to Komodo Island stop. The airport in Bali is new and very modern and comfortable. Be sure when you go to the airport that you get the right part -- domestic and international are connected --sort of-- but it is a long walk and no so well signed. Domestic flights you want to go directly to domestic side which was the old international airport gates now remodeled.

We did go to Komodo and we did see the lizards and we did marvel at how very close some people were with sandals on feet and crouching down for selfies. Myself I stayed back and behind the mighty guard (a tiny thin girl who was probably 16 or so with a stick --no fork on her stick only the men walked with forked sticks):D:eek:

I thought it was scarier when we got back to dock area and had to go through all the sellers and their children thrusting wooden and plastic souveniers at us!Even months later, not at all sure where they all came from -- and children begging for candy from homemade boats of Styrofoam taped with duct tape and the Captain of our ship FIRMLY telling passengers not to throw food overboard to them. I agreed with a comment on CC that the best thing about Komodo Island is getting back to your ship for a cold drink. (But hubby had KI on his list for such a long time so I was happy for him to see the main draw for that cruise which was wonderful ).

If you have time in your schedule, I highly recommend Yogyakarta -- so different from Bali. Javanese culture and 2 UNESCO world heritage sights. We had a great private guide for about $50/day with car and we found the culture fascinating. Stayed at the Phoenix hotel. I got many souveniers here at such a cheap price -- wonderful jewelry, puppets, dolls,etc. that I had not seen on other Asian travels. We stayed 2 full days and 3 nights -- easy side trip before our Azamara cruise.

Hi! We took Garuda from Bali to Yogyakarta Indonesia Feb. 2015 roundtrip and it was a very good flight. Only about one hour flight time but we got snack and drink. Plane was in excellent shape as far as looks and sound -- I don't know more than that:p. The plane we took was larger probably than the one going to Komodo Island stop. The airport in Bali is new and very modern and comfortable. Be sure when you go to the airport that you get the right part -- domestic and international are connected --sort of-- but it is a long walk and no so well signed. Domestic flights you want to go directly to domestic side which was the old international airport gates now remodeled.

I thought it was scarier when we got back to dock area and had to go through all the sellers and their children thrusting wooden and plastic souveniers at us!Even months later, not at all sure where they all came from

If you have time in your schedule, I highly recommend Yogyakarta -- so different from Bali. We stayed 2 full days and 3 nights -- easy side trip before our Azamara cruise.

Thank you for all of the information and fact that Garuda Airlines wasn't that bad. I bet the Azamara cruise was great! When we were on Garuda (after 911) I thought it might crash.

Did you go to Komodo Island or Rinca Island (Both are part of the National Park)?

I am surprised the rangers let you get that close, and surprised there were so many villagers around.

Edited by Jade13

Apparently four airlines may fly that route. Check THIS LINK for info on LBJ airport (why do I think that code should be in Texas?)

Many discount carriers in Asia do not show up in ITA - they don't utilize a GDS and do all of their reservations/sales through their own channel. So you might want to go to the website of all these carriers and do some research their. Seems that some utilize Bae146s, which is one of my favorite aircraft.

As for Garuda...they went through a rough patch (to put it bluntly) but have pretty much righted the ship. They are now a part of SkyTeam. I'll be flying them in February (pointy end of a long haul A330) and have no qualms.

Apparently four airlines may fly that route. Check THIS LINK for info on LBJ airport (why do I think that code should be in Texas?)

Many discount carriers in Asia do not show up in ITA - they don't utilize a GDS and do all of their reservations/sales through their own channel. So you might want to go to the website of all these carriers and do some research their. Seems that some utilize Bae146s, which is one of my favorite aircraft.

As for Garuda...they went through a rough patch (to put it bluntly) but have pretty much righted the ship. They are now a part of SkyTeam. I'll be flying them in February (pointy end of a long haul A330) and have no qualms.

Thank you for the information! I realized right away that not all carriers were on ITA. Also feel better hearing about Garuda. The last and only time I flew them I do not recall the type of aircraft, but the engine was LOUD and flight was rough. I also know someone on one of their planes when one Engine died and they made an emergency landing in some country that held them "hostage" until they paid an exorbitant cash amount for fuel, and then flew with a single engine back to Hong Kong. Of course the pilot masterfully got them back safely so that was a positive.

Thanks for the link. I actually saw it yesterday after Googling "Komodo Airport" when I did not have the airport name or code.

Edited by Jade13

Jade I did not fly to Komodo Island. Visited by ship. Dropped anchor and tendered to the dock. Lovely way to visit. Garuda Airlines I think is OK. I saw nothing that made me wonder about safety on the 3 flights I took. The attendants wear the most beautiful exotic uniforms -- tiny little women but good service -- full meal box in 35 mins of time.

Buy your ticket directly on-line if you can -- easier than trying to find it on air sales. Garuda does take American credit cards. You might have to buy a bag (pay baggage fee) in addition to the ticket price.

The Indonesian government is very lax with safety. The FAA gives the country a Category 2 and 61% rating...that's lower than many 3rd world, underdeveloped countries. Indonesia meets zero of ICAO's 8 safety criteria. 59 of the 63 Indonesia-based airlines are blacklisted by the EU.

Fortunately Garuda is one of the 4 airlines with EU approval, and the only Indonesian airline passing IOSA standards. (Garuda is banned by the FAA because all Indonesian airlines are, regardless of individual safety records). Be *very* wary of the other airlines, many have truly terrible safety records. Even though the chance of an accident on a single flight is almost nil, don't use airlines that put profits ahead of safety.

@Jade13- Taking off with an engine out is sheer recklessness and negligence. It is the polar opposite of "masterfully". Any pilot doing that in the US would end up with their license revoked, even in a private Cessna.

Edited by kenish

@Jade13- Taking off with an engine out is sheer recklessness and negligence. It is the polar opposite of "masterfully". Any pilot doing that in the US would end up with their license revoked, even in a private Cessna.
Having fun putting in my brain the picture of a 172 with the "engine out", then trying to get out from the apron to the runway. Damn...that tug had better have some speed!!!

:D