Obtaining Euros, kunas, lira, etc.

I know that probably the cheapest way to change USD into euros or other foreign currency is to use ATMs in the countries you're visiting. However, we sometimes want to go overseas with at least a starting amount of local money in hand. I know you can order foreign currency from various banks, and the AAA, and also exchange money at exchanges places in airports and cities. However, I find it a bit confusing to figure out what method will result in the best exchange rate with lowest fees.

I'm probably worrying too much about how much money I'll spend on getting foreign currency, but since I research everything fairly else carefully, and spend my money pretty carefully, I thought I'd try to get a handle on what might be the best approach to take.

I'm also a bit confused as to what I'll need to do to get money from an ATM in Europe. Is a PIN always required, I assume? Is a card without a chip OK?

I know that probably the cheapest way to change USD into euros or other foreign currency is to use ATMs in the countries you're visiting. However, we sometimes want to go overseas with at least a starting amount of local money in hand. I know you can order foreign currency from various banks, and the AAA, and also exchange money at exchanges places in airports and cities. However, I find it a bit confusing to figure out what method will result in the best exchange rate with lowest fees.

I'm probably worrying too much about how much money I'll spend on getting foreign currency, but since I research everything fairly else carefully, and spend my money pretty carefully, I thought I'd try to get a handle on what might be the best approach to take.

I'm also a bit confused as to what I'll need to do to get money from an ATM in Europe. Is a PIN always required, I assume? Is a card without a chip OK?

Before we took our Med cruise we went to a local coin store and they gave us all the Euros we needed for our trip. We ended up with different denominations as well. I had to make a few trips cos I bought all they had - but I bought well over 6,000 Euros. That way we had cash (coins) for the cart at the airport in Rome too.