Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

My Apologies.

For regular readers of our little thread it will come as no surprise that I made a mistake in mistaking the accommodation modules for caissons. It isn't the first and I don't think it will be the last.

Thanks to everyone who pointed it out I will try to improve LOL

Clive, part of the interest in this thread, at least for me, is trying to puzzle out what we are seeing and what they are doing. :D

Clive

Mabe the punishment should be forcing you to watch Man Ltd ..:D

Cheng

How did you guess what my beverage of choice will be in Edinburgh, Invergordon and Glasgow ?;)

I put many of them away when working for two years in the North Sea oilfields, and living in Stonehaven and Aberdeen.:p

These days, there are many news concerning the port that should receive the wreck of the COSTA CONCORDIA. There are many hypotheses, abroad: Marseilles, Izmir in Turkey, a port in Britain, one in Norway and a couple in China; in Italy: PIOMBINO, CIVITAVECCHIA, PALERMO, Genoa, GIOIA TAURO, TARANTO.

The undersigned has occupied of Concord since the night of the tragedy, when he was President of Toremar (its Aeglium ferry, brought to safety eighty passengers); and yet, the State, for professional reasons.

Frankly, today, cannot understand how is it possible to reject a resolution of the Council of Ministers of just a year ago, which included: the ship Costa Concordia, wrecked off the island of Giglio, according to EU rules (Council Regulation 1013/2006/EC) is a "waste" and therefore should be brought to the nearest site to be reclaimed and disposed of.

He realizes that the "va in the nearest site", may give reason for various interpretations, but the decision ultimately says: The Deputy Commissioner for environmental emergency in connection with the sinking of the cruise ship Costa Concordia, in the municipality of Isola del Giglio, is authorized, subject to verification of the feasibility and convenience of operation in agreement with the Ministers of the environment and protection of land and sea and of infrastructure and transport, to take all necessary measures to allow the transport of the cruise ship Costa Concordia at the port of Piombino for the dismantling, in connection with the ministries concerned and using resources already allocated and actually available.

It is certain that the installation of caissons will not end before August, because the Tuscan port:

1) will be in the roof club, insurance to cover the costs of demolition, i.e. 100 million;

2) in September will, of course, the new channel to 20 meters less.

the wreck without a new resolution of the Council of Ministers, SHOULD be towed to plummet.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/04/22/roma-la-concordia-deve-andare-a-piombino/

Sorry. My translator isn't very good.

When you guys mention the parbuckle camera, what camera is it? Do you have a link? I'm curious to see if it's the one I've already been looking at.

Are you looking at the Giglio webcam? If so, at the top, there is a toolbar, and the one labeled "webcam" will give you the various cameras. The two that show the Concordia are the "Panoramica" and the "Parbuckling"

As some newer readers were asking, the three direct webcam links are:

View from hill to land-side of CC http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_porto.jpg

View from harbour http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_traghetto.jpg

View into harbour, not a view onto CC http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio.jpg

These links do not automatically refresh, hence you can leave a browser window open even if you are away from the PC for longer without putting unnecessary load on the poor webcam server (or your own broadband traffic allowance, if applicable)

The title of this article is "The Removal of Concordia and the War Between the Ports."

In Tuscany in these days there is a story in history. One that might have arrived almost at the end, the other that could begin. Both, however, made of hope and suffering. It is the one that binds to a thin thread of Ariadne the affair of the removal and disposal of the Costa Concordia Lucchini and the future of the port of Piombino. It is no secret that appetites who have woken up on the business of disposing of the wreck of the flagship of the Costa Crociere wrecked before the waters of Giglio Porto in January 2012, had throat many administrations. And in the end what has unleashed is a real war between ports in the days when Government, Tuscany region and local governments are all committed to resolve the issue with the signing of the Kuala Lumpur agreement and attempt to avert the closure of the blast furnace. The background remains the fate of Concord with real sides to battle against each other with declarations.

Tra i due litiganti And so if the Tuscany is rooting for Piombino all clues so far lead to Genoa. If Costa Concordia, Italy, will remain in the port that your host is to be demolished would be to Genoa. Have been days when politics is mobilized to try to ' pull ' the wreck in the port friend with the Lazio region President Nicola Zingaretti which relaunched Civitavecchia, supported by the representative of the Pd Goffredo Bettini, and who like Aldo Di Biagio argues with some regional advisers Piombino in Tuscany by brothers of Italy. Last but not least also the appeal of the Deputy Minister of infrastructure Riccardo Nencini , doing the Regione Toscana Governor Enrico Rossi, stressed that «the harbour Seal closest to the isola del Giglio – to carry the wreckage of Concord you would take one day – and there you have already initiated a major modernization work that could be tailored to accommodate the ship and proceed to disposal '. But the elements that emerge have to guess that the port might be the city of the Lantern.

Besides insult to injury Piombino, except Government interventions of the last hour, you would add the damage mockery. Especially if he wins the Environment Minister Gian Luca Galletti who wants to dispose of in Italy. In a March 19 meeting of the Minister would have claimed to have averted a first risk, i.e. the transfer of the wreck in Turkey, in a port near Smyrna. This idea was accepted by Costa, but on two conditions that the port of destination and the time of removals were chosen by the company. The Ministry said it would agree. Between the two sides the club insurance which covers Costa who has set the ceiling for covering the costs of 100 million demolition and pushing for Turkish target: 40 million cost. At Civitavecchia the decommissioning project is estimated at 200 million, Zakout says that "economic reasons are overcome, in Piombino in 110 million and there is the unknown basin that could be passed if the transfer plan had to slip in September in Genoa is less than 100 million. Even in light of this if the target will prevail, it is easy to think that the Concordia arrives in Genoa where, according to Confindustria, there are also local professionalism and skills. There is a against Genoa, 5 days journey, but does not appear to be a problem if the rigalleggiamento were to take place without any problems. Mariotti shipyards in Genoa and St George, along with the Port Authorities have already prepared in detail. The Concordia would arrive in the port of Genoa Voltri, in the West, where the bow will not do. The ship will be emptied of furniture to make it back from a draught of 18 yards to 15. Then the hull will be towed within the port towards the Levant until former air superbacino where it will be cut into horizontal slices. Approximately two years of work, occupying 300 people.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/04/24/la-rimozione-della-concordia-e-la-guerra-tra-porti/

In the link to the article is also a video which shows some up close shots of Concordia and Conquest.

Sorry, I can't translate that. ;)

Edited by SomeBeach

Lightman .... Only noticed the Starboard side Bridge wing missing on the video, just re watched it and notice they have left the walkway bit in place on the Port side.

Edited by sidari

I had not noticed until seeing the video on that page that they cut away both sides of the bridge that extended a few meters beyond the port and starboard sides of the ship... I suppose to make it easy to drop sponsons in place.

Those are the bridge wings.

Clive, I've been watching that "barge" (for lack of knowing what to call it) on and off the last few hours. With a 9 hour time difference between my Arizona home and Italy I often see the dawn which is when it first made itself visible. At one point it moved in almost close enough to see what was on it.

The best I can describe it would be that it is a large almost U shaped object that has what looks to be 4 (or 5) bars between the 2 outer ones. It could be square bottomed with something on the ends that are holding it up making it appear U shaped.

Edited by SomeBeach

With the angle of approach to Concordia now it looks like a large box is in front of those bars.

Dang it. They need to move that webcam a little to the left so we can see better.

It does look like a caisson.

Edited by SomeBeach

Clive, I've been watching that "barge" (for lack of knowing what to call it) on and off the last few hours. With a 9 hour time difference between my Arizona home and Italy I often see the dawn which is when it first made itself visible. At one point it moved in almost close enough to see what was on it.

The best I can describe it would be that it is a large almost U shaped object that has what looks to be 4 (or 5) bars between the 2 outer ones. It could be square bottomed with something on the ends that are holding it up making it appear U shaped.

Could these be bumpers/ brackets which they need to give the caissons a flat enough surface to mount them own?

Could these be bumpers/ brackets which they need to give the caissons a flat enough surface to mount them own?

Looks like some framework of some sort. Maybe bumpers, maybe some of the mooring points they are putting on CC. Just noticed a definite time difference between the panoramica and parbuckling cameras. On one, the tower crane is out over the port side, on the other it is over starboard. Never noticed this before, but never looked that close.