Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Thanks for that Micki, since they changed the format I don't seem able to find it.

Certainly some major pieces of engineering appear to be ready to be installed when the weather improves.

Clive, when you look at their page you'll see a little "home" on the far left of the bar. Click on that and it takes you to the news page. Then just do like I do and scan down for something that says Concordia. :D;) For the most part they have that in the title.

Forgot to ask. Is anyone else having problems with the page automatically refreshing itself in the views of the ship or port? Mine doesn't seem to work.

Edited by SomeBeach

Thanks Micki I will try that.

I seem to remember something ages ago that the picture refreshes in relation to the number of people viewing it. I guess at the moment not many people are concentrating on the wreck. I have the same problem as you but I expect it will quicken as the installation of the sponsons begin, at least I hope that's the case.

We have noticed in the past that the people involved in the recovery obviously monitor this thread and have reacted accordingly.

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but it mentions a 2009 Costa appraisal of Schettino as having "poor" leadership and "poor" planning skills.

Sorry, link didn't work, but it was the Gulf Times article from Mar 10.

Edited by chengkp75

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but it mentions a 2009 Costa appraisal of Schettino as having "poor" leadership and "poor" planning skills.

Sorry, link didn't work, but it was the Gulf Times article from Mar 10.

Cheng

What do you mean "the link didn't work?". :confused:

You're probably one of those Schitino haters and just made up the story about "poor leadership and planning skills." ;)

John

Cheng

What do you mean "the link didn't work?". :confused:

You're probably one of those Schitino haters and just made up the story about "poor leadership and planning skills." ;)

John

Lol. Nah, my tech skills are so antiquated, that I can't properly post a URL here. While I will admit to being a Schettino hater, it's more my membership in Luddites International that is a factor!:D The truth is out there!

I'm seeing that they are installing massive strand jacks on top of the sponsons for the starbord side. What is the point of these? Are they giong to be used to mainly control the ship as it rises out of the water? If so, are the strand jacks all attached on the port side? I would think those would be in rough shape from being in sea water for so long.

I'm seeing that they are installing massive strand jacks on top of the sponsons for the starbord side. What is the point of these? Are they giong to be used to mainly control the ship as it rises out of the water? If so, are the strand jacks all attached on the port side? I would think those would be in rough shape from being in sea water for so long.

Where are you seeing this? Are you looking at the parbuckling site for the operations in Livorno on the caisson fabrication? I looked at the video of them rotating the one caisson, and saw the piping needed to fill and vent the caisson, but didn't see any strand jacks. Been wrong before, just haven't seen this, and would be wondering why as well.

Where are you seeing this? Are you looking at the parbuckling site for the operations in Livorno on the caisson fabrication? I looked at the video of them rotating the one caisson, and saw the piping needed to fill and vent the caisson, but didn't see any strand jacks. Been wrong before, just haven't seen this, and would be wondering why as well.

There is link here on this page that another member posted. The current .pdf file for this week has a couple pictures of the sponsons, and one of them shows what looks like huge, red strand jacks at the top. There's even a picture with people at the bottom messing with a bunch of steel cables. The only thing I can think of strand jacks being used for at this point is to control the massive amount of weight as the ship starts to float, that way they can make sure it doesn't get too boyant on one side and possibly flip back over, or worse, go off the deep end(no pun intended. =-) )

It's this link here.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/03/24/...e-15-21-marzo/

There is link here on this page that another member posted. The current .pdf file for this week has a couple pictures of the sponsons, and one of them shows what looks like huge, red strand jacks at the top. There's even a picture with people at the bottom messing with a bunch of steel cables. The only thing I can think of strand jacks being used for at this point is to control the massive amount of weight as the ship starts to float, that way they can make sure it doesn't get too boyant on one side and possibly flip back over, or worse, go off the deep end(no pun intended. =-) )

Yeah, missed those. Not sure those are actually strand jacks, strand jacks may be used with these cable bundles. The "link arms" look like a flexible connection to the platform under the ship,, though they may connect to the starboard side strand jacks. Since there is nothing for the ship to be "moored" to while floating, yes, these may be used to keep it in place. The floating will be so controlled that the ship will not get too out of hand, unless the weather suddenly deteriorates. There will be clinometers on the ship, and the emptying of the caissons will be done slowly to allow monitoring of the stability. Due to the free-surface effect inside the ship, if the seas pick up during critical times of refloat, the resonance could cause some problem, though.

The strand jacks from the port side were on the towers, and the strand jacks for the starboard side (to keep the bottom from sliding out while rotating) are underwater, but they were built for sea water immersion, and should be fine.

If these cables are used to "moor" the ship, they will not really be kept tight, just taut enough to keep the ship from moving horizontally but not vertically.

Clive, when you look at their page you'll see a little "home" on the far left of the bar. Click on that and it takes you to the news page. Then just do like I do and scan down for something that says Concordia. :D;) For the most part they have that in the title.

Forgot to ask. Is anyone else having problems with the page automatically refreshing itself in the views of the ship or port? Mine doesn't seem to work.

If you don't catch the weekly report on Monday, look in the "Archive" tab, and scroll down or through the pages until you find "Removizione"

Lol. Nah, my tech skills are so antiquated, that I can't properly post a URL here. While I will admit to being a Schettino hater, it's more my membership in Luddites International that is a factor!:D The truth is out there!

Using what info you provided I tried to find a copy of the article. I was not successful. That is not to imply I don't believe you but some folks here need/want proof.

For those that have been here since the beginning, think back to early on. A Captain that had Schettino in a role as I believe a Staff Captain did not feel he was ready for the role of Captain. It may have been the Captain that reportedly lived on Giglio that said that.

Then there was this comment made after the accident.

In photos circulating around the Internet, the Costa Concordia captain’s shirt seems permanently unbuttoned to reveal a tuft of what looks like groomed chest hair. His skin is deeply tanned, à la Silvio Berlusconi, and his long curly mane is slicked back in a mullet that is meant to look suave. He has a reputation as an egomaniac who doesn’t budge from his beliefs. And he is a daredevil who likes to take risks. “He drives a ship like a Ferrari,” Martino Pellegrino, a crew member, told reporters near the crash site. “He was reckless.”

Here's the link, I found it by google on Schettino trial, and also by going to Gulf Times and searching for Concordia. Lets see if it works.

http://www.gulf-times.com/uk-europe/183/details/384173/costa-concordia-captain-had-%e2%80%98poor%e2%80%99-leadership-skills

Yep, that works, sometimes I amaze myself.:p

Edited by chengkp75

Here's the link, I found it by google on Schettino trial, and also by going to Gulf Times and searching for Concordia. Lets see if it works.

http://www.gulf-times.com/uk-europe/183/details/384173/costa-concordia-captain-had-%e2%80%98poor%e2%80%99-leadership-skills

Yep, that works, sometimes I amaze myself.:p

Hear Ye - Hear Ye - Hear Ye

Contrary to popular perception, Cheng is NOT a BSer :D

John

Hear Ye - Hear Ye - Hear Ye

Contrary to popular perception, Cheng is NOT a BSer :D

John

Well, Uni, you do know the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story? A fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time", while a sea story starts out "And this is no sh**":D

The repot mentions "installazione dei martinetti" which refers to installation of the strandjacks in the day to day report at the beginning of the document. It is mentioned in the "Canteristica" part near the end where activities at Livorno are reported.

I think I recall somewhere that the inboard strand jacks link up to the chains passed under the ship that were going to the hold-back towers, and that the outboard strand jacks link up to the outboard port side strand jacks used in the parbuckling last fall... all forming a type of sling under the hull.

really cool how they will be able to bring in the starboard sponsons and quickly link them up in place. With all the bumpers in place and the strand jacks strung up it looks like they may be able to position them quickly.

Onorato testified that a company report dated April 21, 2009 stated that Schettino’s leadership qualities were “poor” and his planning and control skills were “very poor”.

“We still trusted captain Francesco Schettino, otherwise we would have not given him responsibility over the Costa Concordia and other company ships,” said Onorato.

Have to wonder who is fooling who ?

We know he is not good enough to be a Captain but we will give him the job anyway!

And Costa claim it was nothing to do with them! unbelievable.

Onorato testified that a company report dated April 21, 2009 stated that Schettino’s leadership qualities were “poor” and his planning and control skills were “very poor”.

“We still trusted captain Francesco Schettino, otherwise we would have not given him responsibility over the Costa Concordia and other company ships,” said Onorato.

Have to wonder who is fooling who ?

We know he is not good enough to be a Captain but we will give him the job anyway!

And Costa claim it was nothing to do with them! unbelievable.

Yeah, not sure in what position Schettino was, when that appraisal was made, or how long before/after it he was promoted to Captain (I'm sure someone will research or already know this) but it would require the whole personnel file on Schettino to evaluate what Costa's liability is from this assertion.

Cheng ... The decision by Costa is like putting Dracula in charge of the Blood bank. Not sure how those in charge of decision making can wriggle out of not being charged.

Sid;

Did some research (slow day), and found that Schettino was promoted to Captain at Costa in 2006. So he had time to learn the job before that appraisal was given.

I'm just using US Human Resource policies (which I know don't apply to Italian companies, but it's what I'm accustomed to), where one bad appraisal should not ruin someone's career. I think you know from my prior posts what I think about Schettino, and that I feel that Costa shoulders a good bit of blame for improper training, etc, but I'm saying that legally, if that was the only "bad" appraisal in his personnel file, it would mean little, as the defense lawyers for Costa could present the other, more flattering, appraisals.

I found it to be an interesting tidbit, and a brick in the wall, but without his full personnel file, its just CNN goring Carnival.

I'm really amazing myself, I've found another nugget for today:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2108790%2FCosta-Concordia-Captain-Francesco-Schettino-crashed-ANOTHER-cruise-ship.html&ei=AMM1U7flG-WD2gXvx4HoBA&usg=AFQjCNHJWXJrMA7aDPYnNUqU5nIw_OCzwQ&bvm=bv.63808443,d.b2I

This alleges that Schettino's hair was tested, positive, for cocaine. And that when Captain of the Atlantica, and caused damage to an Aida ship in Germany. This is the Daily Mail, so all the UK members here can jump in with how reliable this is, just wanted to post another tidbit for discussion.