Hotels in Santos,Brazil

HUTCH-1

Will be taking the South American cruise on Splendor of the Seas in February and was wondering if anyone knows of a hotel in Santos,Brazil. I'll be flying into Sao Paulo, but would prefer to stay in Santos which is closer to where the ship is docked.

You need to post this on the Ports of Call===Brazil board

There isn't a separate board for Brazil. The OP has posted correctly.

If you look back a month or so, you will find a board on this subject. Basically, there are few hotels in Santos itself. The port area is very industrial / run-down working area. The nicer part is the Gonzaga district by the beach, but this only has two older hotels. The best choice is over the other side of the peninsular, via ferry to Guaraja. There are two first class hotels there (www.accor.com and www.casagrandehotel.com.br/ ) and some good smaller, more economic ones. We are travelling there on the Splendour of the Seas transatlantic and continuing on the "almost back-to-back" Christmas cruise. We arrive 18th December in Santos, but the next cruise only starts on 20th. They need 2 days for new staff training and getting the ship ready for the Brazilian clients. So we will be spending two days in Guaraja in between cruises.

Will be taking the South American cruise on Splendor of the Seas in February and was wondering if anyone knows of a hotel in Santos,Brazil. I'll be flying into Sao Paulo, but would prefer to stay in Santos which is closer to where the ship is docked.

The best hotel in Santos is Parque Balneario Hotel http://www.parquebalneario.com.br/english/ohotel.htm,

very well located, facing the beach in the center of the beach district, and about 10 minutes by taxi to the docks.

I do not recommend Hotels in Guaruja, because you have to take a ferry to cross the canal to reach Santos. This may take same time (1 hour) and cost $$$.

Another alternative is staying in São Paulo, with a wide selection of hotels and about 1 hour by private taxi to the docks (cost about US$ 75/80).

The best hotel in Santos is Parque Balneario Hotel http://www.parquebalneario.com.br/english/ohotel.htm,

very well located, facing the beach in the center of the beach district, and about 10 minutes by taxi to the docks.

I do not recommend Hotels in Guaruja, because you have to take a ferry to cross the canal to reach Santos. This may take same time (1 hour) and cost $$$.

Another alternative is staying in São Paulo, with a wide selection of hotels and about 1 hour by private taxi to the docks (cost about US$ 75/80).

We stayed in the Parque Balneario last year before our Costa cruise. It's OK for an overnight stop before bording the ship. I prefer the tranquility of being able to take an early morning stroll on the beach to having to fight the traffic of São Paulo on bording day.

We have never been to Guarujá, so we thought of trying it this year. The ferry may take one hour, but still seems to be easier than São Paulo. Do you have any other information on Guarujá that makes you disapprove of it?

. Do you have any other information on Guarujá that makes you disapprove of it?

No. In Guarujá, the best hotel is Casa Grande, very well located, in fron of the beach. Depending of the dates, Guaruja maybe very very crouldly.

No. In Guarujá, the best hotel is Casa Grande, very well located, in fron of the beach. Depending of the dates, Guaruja maybe very very crouldly.

Yes, the Casa Grande is one of "The Leading Hotels of the World", but have you seen the price? The new Sofitel also looks nice but is pricy as well. Do you have any experience with the smaller 3*** hotels?

Try the Delphin Hotel, also facing the beach: http://www.delphinhotel.com.br/

and Gavea Hotel: http://www.gaveahotel.com.br/, with a beautifull view of the beach.

Thank you very much. I will check them out. We will be a party of 9, 4 coming in on the transatlantic and five coming down from São Paulo, so the more expensive hotels, although tempting, are a little too costly.

• 6 years later...

Hey Hutch 1 we are also on the Splendour. I booked my Father and I at the Mercure Santos for $125 a night. Its a 3 star hotel and the rooms are suites right on the beach with a pool. Breakfast is extra. We are staying there the night before the cruise and its almost 4 miles from the pier by taxi etc.

The best hotels in Santos (price/location/new rooms/quality of service) are ibis and mercure both from accor hotels. They are on the same place but different buildings. The ibis is way more simple and cheaper than the mercure but i always stay there pre cruise. The mercure is much nicer, they have a private pool with the best view fro. Santos a very nice restaurant close to the pool (emmes). The mercure is nice if you are staying more than 1 night. If not, go with the ibis :) you also get a bigger room on thr mercure (bedroom, living room, mini kitchen area, bathroom and balcony with a nice beach view) than on the ibis (bathroom, bed, desk and a tiny storage space which is ok if u are not unpacking and only waiting for your cruise. Ask for a beach view on higher floors).

The parque balneário ia overpriced. The location is nice but the room is not that clean and the hotel is old. Too much money. Definitely not worth it.

I stayed in those 3 hotels and the best option based on price/quality is ibis, then mercure

Edited by msclover

I stayed in those 3 hotels and the best option based on price/quality is ibis, then mercure

Thank you so much for your hotel recommendations! We have reserved the Ibis for our pre-cruise stay in February. I had planned to book the Mercure, but it was almost double the price of the Ibis. It is really nice to hear from someone who has actually stayed there. The hotel sounds perfect for what we need - a decent, reasonably priced place to sleep!

Are there stores near the Ibis where I can pick up some bottles of wine? (Royal Caribbean allows you to carry on 2 bottles per cabin.) Is it easy to get a taxi to the port?

Edited by Linda in MI

Check out Trip Advisor for a list and reviews of the top 20 hotels in Santos. We are booked at the Ibis (part of the Accor hotel family) for two nights before our Splendour cruise. Santos looks interesting to me - nice beaches, restaurants, shops, etc.

Note:

Information on TA forum about Brazil is often not accurate (with current posters/DEs), and the 'top' lists contain so many faked pros/cons that it would not be a good bet to rely on them.

Praia de Santos (José Menino Beach, Gonzaga Beach, Boqueirão Beach and Embaré Beach) looks nicer than the sand/water actually is (pollution), as perhaps an area so close to a major city (Sao Paulo) and its huge population might be expected to be. The amenities (shops, restaurants) are what you might expect also though, catering to this weekend/vacation clientele.

Are there stores near the Ibis where I can pick up some bottles of wine? (Royal Caribbean allows you to carry on 2 bottles per cabin.) Is it easy to get a taxi to the port?

Hi Linda!

Ibis is in the "Canal 3", and if you go on the opposite direction of the beach (up) and cross the street, you will find "Casa Santa Marta", a very nice grocery store that has lots of fine foods and for sure you will find wine there! You can ask the reception for more directions, but the address is: "Avenida Washington Luiz, 500".

The Ibis/Mercure building is in the corner of the beach avenue (Vicente de Carvalho) and Canal 3 (Avenida Washington Luiz).

A picture from my view on Ibis - 6th floor (I don't remember the room #, but ask for a beach view). The pool is from a club that is on the same building and we don't have access to. The balconies are from the Mercure hotel.

1374038_10202004674266507_542887518_n.jpg

There is a taxi station (always saw lots of taxis there) in front of the Hotel (av Washington Luiz). We ordered taxi from the reception the day before but we ended up cancelling it once we found that there were lots of taxis already there. It's a 10 minutes taxi ride to the port (depends on the traffic, of course, but it is very close!)

Try to arrive in the port early (9:30, 10 am) because it tends to get very busy as most of the ships are there in the same day and there is only one big embarkation place. Priority/Loyalty Program Lines are confusing and don't always work in Santos.

• 3 weeks later...
The best hotels in Santos (price/location/new rooms/quality of service) are ibis and mercure both from accor hotels. They are on the same place but different buildings. The ibis is way more simple and cheaper than the mercure but i always stay there pre cruise. The mercure is much nicer, they have a private pool with the best view fro. Santos a very nice restaurant close to the pool (emmes). The mercure is nice if you are staying more than 1 night. If not, go with the ibis :) you also get a bigger room on thr mercure (bedroom, living room, mini kitchen area, bathroom and balcony with a nice beach view) than on the ibis (bathroom, bed, desk and a tiny storage space which is ok if u are not unpacking and only waiting for your cruise. Ask for a beach view on higher floors).

The parque balneário ia overpriced. The location is nice but the room is not that clean and the hotel is old. Too much money. Definitely not worth it.

Great review thanks. I had booked The Ibis just earlier this morning and then read your review sent on by my wife Jennie. We are staying overnight on 1st March '14 there pre RC Splendor of the Seas cruise. I just have to get us to The Ibis from Sao Sebastiao (Maasdam arrives 1.3.14 there). Seems tricky so far. Tour Guides want a fortune. Its only a 2.5hr road trip. Any ideas or reccys on that one. Just a comfy taxi or bus would suit. See you at The Ibis then. Cheers

I just have to get us to The Ibis from Sao Sebastiao (Maasdam arrives 1.3.14 there). Seems tricky so far. Tour Guides want a fortune. Its only a 2.5hr road trip. Any ideas or reccys on that one. Just a comfy taxi or bus would suit.

iirc the bus company Litoranea (telefone: 13-3219-3649; http://www.litoranea.com.br/) does the route from Sao Sebastiao to Santos (leaving from/arriving at the rodoviaria/bus station in those towns). I believe there are about 5 departures daily.

iirc the bus company Litoranea (telefone: 13-3219-3649; http://www.litoranea.com.br/) does the route from Sao Sebastiao to Santos (leaving from/arriving at the rodoviaria/bus station in those towns). I believe there are about 5 departures daily.

Thanks Vida, I will look into that in the morning!. Cheers :D

Thanks Vida, I will look into that in the morning!. Cheers :D

I have not tried personally, but don't be surprised if you can't book online (a typical situation in Brazil, esp. for those without Brazilian CPF ID and Brazilian issued credit card)).

I agree, taking a bus is the best option!

*Elvis*, enjoy your stay in Santos! ;)

Edited by msclover

• 5 months later...

We booked the Mercure for the night before the cruise. There wasn't really much of a price difference but the room at the Mercure looked nicer. For $125 for the night we were able to get a Superior Room as I found this room online for the same cost as the Standard room and was able to negotiate breakfast as part of the rate.

Being a 10 minute taxi ride to the port is better than being 90 minutes away in Sao Paulo.