Car rental in Hilo?

Sopwith

I'm planning to rent a car for the day in Hilo in October. I have some free days to use up with National, but it looks like I'll have to make my way to/from the airport to get the car. Any experience with this? Does National run a shuttle to the cruise terminal? How is it getting a taxi first thing in the morning?

Thanks for the help.

We were on the Grand Princess March 22-April 16 (15 night Hawaiian cruise) and rented a car in Hilo. (Hertz) Shuttles from the car rental agencies continuously drive along the cruise terminal and it's a short ride to Hilo Airport. The car rentals are @ the airport (they look like little huts @ the airport); they are all lined up one next to the other one. NO need for a taxi---again we rented from Hertz-but, there were several others all together--very simple/easy process. Upon returning the car to the airport--they shuttle you back to the cruise terminal. Please check National's website: )

Our experience was the same as your Morriscats. There were no lines and it was total chaos with people trying to push to the front to get on a shuttle. Once we got to the airport, renting the car was a snap. It was just the disorganization at the dock thAt was crazy.

As the first person said, the shuttles will be lined up, a very easy process to get to the airport. In 2012, we had an orderly line and a pleasant experience with Dollar. Just make sure you're back in plenty of time before the last shuttle; a lot of people want to take the last shuttle back to the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app