Alcohol prices on board Magic

Pebbles1967

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know individual prices but they do have package deals that probably save $$ or individual drinks.

6 domestic beers $22.50

6 imorted beers $27.00

3 Dom and 3 Imported beer $24.75

7 night wine packages:

$189.00 Classic

$292.00 Premium

It said this is up to 25% off regular prices

They always offer a drink of the day and the prices ranges from $3.50 to $7.00 per drink.

I do have the Duty Free Liquor price list for buying to take home.

If you have a specific beverage you want ot purchase to take home I can look and see if its listed and how much it is for you.

They deliver yourpurchase to your room the last night of the cruise for you to pack.

NEVER put in checked luggage, carry on off the ship only or it will get broken. If your flying home I dont know about airline regulations.

there is a shipping place in Cocoa beach that may be able to ship it home for you.

Do they happen to have a smaller wine package? We'd be good with three or four bottles, but won't go through seven. Just trying to figure out if it's worth buying ahead of time and taking it onboard and pay the corkage fee or if a package might make it more affordable and not worth the hassle.

Do they happen to have a smaller wine package? We'd be good with three or four bottles, but won't go through seven. Just trying to figure out if it's worth buying ahead of time and taking it onboard and pay the corkage fee or if a package might make it more affordable and not worth the hassle.

I am not a wine drinker but others at our table have been in the past. I know the drink server gave them all kinds of information about wines and prices that were special deals for the week. I know that doesnt help for pricing ahead of time but it does say they have other size package deals to offer. Just ask them at dinner and they will tell you all about it.

Hopefully someone who cruised recently can tell you about those offers. I know they exist.

The markup on wine is ridiculous. Below are the wines on the premium list and their typical retail cost:

Domaine Chandon, California (Typical retail $12 -$14)

Banfi Bracheto d'Acqui, Italy (This is otherwise known as Rosa Regale, typical retail is $10-12)

Iron Horse Brut, Fairy Tale Cuvee, Sonoma (Only sold at Disney World, closest distributed Iron Horse wine is the Vintage Brut, typical retail is $24-28, I've seen it as low as $14.)

Alternative White and Blush

Sokol Blosser Evolution 9, Willamette Valley, Oregon (Typical retail $14-16)

Conundrum, California (I've seen this as low as $18 a bottle several times lately--and it's no longer the high quality white table wine that Jon Bolta first created in 1989. The 2007 is a bit heavy with the muscat and gets flabby very quickly--keeping it well chilled will help.)

Fume and Sauvignon Blanc

Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc, Napa Valley (This is Sauvignon Blanc named Fume Blanc by Bob Mondavi in the mid-70's as a play on words combining the US and French name for the wine. Mondavi's Fume Blanc is closer to the French Pouilly Fume's--same Sauvignon Blanc but different winemaking technique than was normally used in California at the time. Typical retail is $15.)

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand (Typical retail, $14-16)

Chardonnay

Fess Parker, Santa Barbara (typical retail $16-19)

St. Francis, Sonoma Valley, California (typical retail $10-12)

Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuisse, France (typical retail $18-22)

Pinot Noir

La Crema, Sonoma Coast (typical retail $25-28)

King Estate, Oregon (typical retail $23-26)

Merlot

Kendall Jakson VR, California (typical retail $14-17)

Cabernet Sauvignon and Blends

Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley (typical retail $18-23)

Alternative Reds

Greg Norman Shiraz, Australia (typical retail $11-14)

Banfi Chianti Classico Reserva, Tuscany, Italy (The latest release is showing terribly--I would not suggest ordering this wine. typical retail $14-17)

In all honesty there isn't a single wine on that list that I would consider anything more than average, more than a few are below average. Even if you choose the most expensive wines on the list every night, you are still paying a 200% mark-up. And trust me, Disney isn't paying "retail" for their wines. So in reality they are making a 300-400% or more markup on those packages.

Carry your own on. Best way to do it is with a styropack wine shipper. Ask around, it's likely someone you know belongs to a wine club or orders wine by mail and can hang onto one for you after their next shipment.

A little more to add to my previous post:

Think about it this way. If you buy the $292 premium package plus 15% gratuity, that works out to $48 a night. Subtract $15 corkage per night, and you're left with $35 ($35 x 7=$245). You can buy some nice wines with $245--a lot better qaulity than the ones they are offering. $245 +/- a few dollars either way will buy you the following:

2x Domaine Carneros Brut

1x Cakebread Chardonnay

1x Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc

1x Belle Glos Pinot Noir Clark & Telephone Vineyard

1x Orin Swift Papillon (terrific Bordeaux blend with a great price point for the quality!)

1x Waters Syrah

These are all well regarded and generally high scoring and would be wines that you should be able to find in your local better wine shop. It gives you a range of reds and whites so you can mix nad match with your various meals.

There are some fabulous, readily available, and reasonably priced Pinot's. My suggestions for $30-60 readily available pinot noir would be:

Amici (North Coast, Mendocino) which is a consistenly good wine vintage after vintage (Taking the price point and quality, this would be my #2 choice on the list)

Domaine Carneros Pinot Noir Carneros or Pinot Noir Famous Gate

Belle Glos Pinot Noir Clark & Telephone Vineyard (Taking the price point and quality, this would be my #1 choice on the list)

Argyle Pinot Noir Nuthouse

Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve

There are also a lot of Burgundy's out there, although I've found it's harder to find a really good Burgundy at an under $60 price tag.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are pretty particular about our wines. SHe's got her favorites and I really only like one, which of course isn't on the Magic's list of wines for purchase.

So, bringing our own wine looks like the way to go.

After being subjected to the "corgake fee", for opening a bottle of wine, the waiters can hold onto your unfinished bottle (if anything's left), for the next night, without paying a second fee, right?

And I assume that you're free to open a bottle in your room, without any fees either, right? I just don't know if they charge you the corkage fee per bottle that's brought on board or if it's just for the bottle brought to dinner.

We've never brought drinks with us on previous cruises and I know I've read the answers here before, but since it didn't necessarily concern me at the time, I obviously didn't retain it. :p

My wife and I are pretty particular about our wines. SHe's got her favorites and I really only like one, which of course isn't on the Magic's list of wines for purchase.

So, bringing our own wine looks like the way to go.

After being subjected to the "corgake fee", for opening a bottle of wine, the waiters can hold onto your unfinished bottle (if anything's left), for the next night, without paying a second fee, right?

And I assume that you're free to open a bottle in your room, without any fees either, right? I just don't know if they charge you the corkage fee per bottle that's brought on board or if it's just for the bottle brought to dinner.

We've never brought drinks with us on previous cruises and I know I've read the answers here before, but since it didn't necessarily concern me at the time, I obviously didn't retain it. :p

Yes the waiters will bring what's left to you the next night.

There is no fee if opened in your cabin. You can ask your cabin steward for a cork screw and glasses.

• 1 month later...

If it's a high end bottle I wouldn't let the waiter hold it. Not that we normally have anything left at the end of the meal anyhow... I imagine that your waiter will understand and work with you if you bring a fine botttle of wine onboard and don't want to leave it with them, and won't charge corkage a second time if you bring the bottle back the next night.

Does anyone know if they offer decanters? A lot of the wines that we drink really could use a decent decant. If we need to we'll bring our own, decant it in the room and pour it back into the bottle before dinner.

Any Reislings on board ?

I don't recall seeing any on the wine lists. I'd plan on bringing my own, particularly because Reislings are really, really varied and can range from slightly sweet to bone dry.

• 4 weeks later...

So what are the wine policy details?

Corkage fee is $15? Is it always charged in every dining venue?

Can you carry on an unlimited number of wines? Check them?

I'm doing research for a possible Transatlantic cruise, and we do love wine with dinner and sometimes lunch.

Thanks.

So what are the wine policy details?

Corkage fee is $15? Is it always charged in every dining venue?

Can you carry on an unlimited number of wines? Check them?

I'm doing research for a possible Transatlantic cruise, and we do love wine with dinner and sometimes lunch.

Thanks.

You will be charged corkage on all bottles you bring into the dining rooms, but not in your stateroom.

You may NOT check them, you must hand carry them on.

They don't have a limit, but I imagine that if you tried to show up with several cases you would be denied. We are planning on bringing seven bottles for three adults on a four night cruise. Much more than that and I think we'd be pushing it.

You will be charged corkage on all bottles you bring into the dining rooms, but not in your stateroom.

You may NOT check them, you must hand carry them on.

They don't have a limit, but I imagine that if you tried to show up with several cases you would be denied. We are planning on bringing seven bottles for three adults on a four night cruise. Much more than that and I think we'd be pushing it.

I remember seeing something about the limit being "for personal consumption" or something equally vague. They don't want to deal with customs problems if someone brings a lot of booze aboard and tries to offload it in another port. It sounds weird but I'm sure that it's been tried before.

If you bring a quantity of wine that you could realistically drink, then I'm sure that you can talk your way through boarding. Just start yacking about wine until their eyes glaze over and they wave you through. ;)

I think they remain vague so they can handle it on a case-by-case situation.

Seven bottles of wine for three adults on a four night is actually a very realistic consumption amount. A bottle of sparkling for sail-away, a bottle for dinner each night (which only works out to 1 1/2 glasses per person) and the other two bottles of sprakling are pre-dinner quaffs that work out to a glass per person per day for the last three evenings--which is again nothing. Breaking it down like that puts it into perspective.

In all honesty it's actually lower than what we would normally consume on a land based vacation. Heck we knocked off four bottles with four adults over the course of appetizers, dinner, and dessert earlier this week on a work night!

On the other hand if we were bringing seven bottles of rum or vodka--that I think would raise some eyebrows, and try as you might, in my opinion I don't think you could convince DCL that it's a reasonable amount of spirits for a four night cruise.

Archived