Antarctica - Emperor Penguins

NewCruiseFan

Emperor penguins are resident in deepest Antarctica & doubtfull if they will be seen on the average cruise. However king penguins that look similar but smaller can be seen on a cruise that calls at Falkland Is or South Georgia

If you go on one of the expedition ship/tours that leave from New Zealand (like Quark), you will usually see the Emperor Penguins.

On trips leaving from South America and going to the Antarctica Penninsula you be seeing King Penguins. The King Penguins are only a few inches shorter than the Emperors and their coloration is very similar. The Emperors have a bit different pattern of yellow and the chicks are greyish versus the King chicks (Okumboys) which are brown.

• 1 month later...

We left from Ushuaia, Argentina on the Quark's Orlova last December and while touring the penisula of Antarctica we saw 3 breeds of penguins, the adelie, gentoo and chinstrap. If the emperor is your choice you may have to try a different iternary.

All the best!

Labe

• 1 month later...

I just read a review of a Radisson Antarctic cruise RT from Ushuaia where a pair of Emperors was spotted as the Explorer II approached the continent.

The captain got as close as he could and pax were able to see one of the Emperors, the other apparently swam away. They said it was very unusual to see them. This cruise was in late Dec. of 2004.

I found the review, by Gina Robinson, as I Googled while researching a similar cruise.

According to the naturalists, every once in a blue moon you see an emperor penguin on the Ushuaia - Antarctica route, but very rarely. The King penguins, which are similar, are onouth Georgia Island, but you need the 3 week trip to do that itinerary. The usual two weeker gets to the Antarctic peninsula and surrounding islands, and you really just see the other three mentioned in an earlier post - gentoo, chinstrap, and Adelie. If anybody wants to see some good photos, we posted them on a website - http://www.pbase.com/michaelblum/galleries

Hi Aussie Gal, We were with a company called Lindblad on their ship the Endeavour. Lindblad has been doing this trip for about 10 years. They have about 5 sailings a year to Antarctica from Ushuaia, Argentina and two longer sailings to Antarctica, the Falklands, and South Georgia Island. We were on their two week one - would hve loved to get to South Georgia, but did not have the time. Lindblad is merging with National Geographic and will rename the ship the National Geographic Endeavour. We went with Lindblad to the Galapagos a few years ago and they were great there, too. Their website is http://www.expeditions.com Some of the photos were taken on the ship or the zodiac excursions. Most were taken at the landings on the islands around the peninsula, or on the peninsula, itself. We have a Minolta SLR digital camera, although lots of good pictures were taken with my little Olympus Sylus 400 point and shoot.

• 3 months later...

Hello Labe, I just booked the Orlova for November 05, the 12 day trip. My husband and I are extremely excited and eager to experience the wonders. Could you give me helpful tips etc that you learned ... I would be most grateful to hear of your experiences. Many thanks...Heather

Heather: Thanks for bumping this up.

Benita: Your photos are outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

I mentioned on another thread that there is a new movie out called "March of the Penguins". It is supposed to be wonderful. Hope to go see it this weekend!

If you really want to see and learn a lot about Emperor penquins, catch the recently released movie "March of the Penquins". It is fascinating, beautifully photographed (National Geographic Films) and compelling.

Benita, thanks for the fantastic pictures! I've wanted to go to Antarctica for a few years, but the cost has kept me from doing that. Now, I'm looking at 2007! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Heather - I went on Orlova in November 2004 and sortof advised Labe thru his December 2004 trip. What specifically do you want to know? I work 10 gazillion hours and can't write a full review but would be happy to give it a go on specific questions. Let me just say you are in for the most superlative, fantastic time! I just today got back a photo poster I'd ordered of one of my favorite photos (it took me this long to pick!!) and oh my word did it bring everything back in a rush!

Hi and thanks, I know you are busy, but two major questions: the naturalist/expeditionist Chuck, who is superb beyond belief, assures me that I will encounter penquins - if I sit down will they really come to me? (probably a lifelong dream for me) to have one that close..and two: could you comment on the clothing for november? obviously weather changes day to day, but clothing help would be appreciated, especially for dinner wear!! many thanks...Heather

Yes, the penguins will come right up to you, they are very curious indeed. The guidelines given on board state that you should maintain a certain distance between you and the wildlife, but especially with the penguins you'll find that it's impossible (and the ship staff know this). You most likely will not see emperor penguins, however (you probably know this but since that's the title of this thread, I think, I just thought I'd mention it). You see a lot of gentoo & chinstrap penguins at that time of year, also some adelie. We did a day excursion in Ushuaia where we saw magellanic & king penguins. The gentoos are my favorite as I think they are more social than the adelie. It is an experience that you will never forget. Very often you will have to BACK AWAY to take photos.

Clothing on board is very, very casual. Jeans, sweats, T-shirts, flannel shirts etc. even at night. Don't forget it's summer there and light until quite late and basically you have to be ready to get off the ship to go ashore at any time it's determined that there is something to see. If this means after dinner, so be it. You have probably read that the ship is kept very, very warm and they aren't kidding about this. Warm as in you could wear shorts and T-shirts on board and be comfortable. Be sure you bring enough lightweight clothing, which of course can be used for layering anyway.

I'm guessing you will be on Aerolineas Argentinas at some point and there written luggage weight limit is very strict. Personally it was not enforced for us or anyone else I talked to, but I guess the potential is always there. Don't waste it on dress clothes you will never wear!

One mistake I made is that I bought water resistant pants from Land's End and being short they were very very long on me. However, I assumed I would just stick them into my boots (buy these at Wal-Mart, about $12) not knowing that they tell you to leave your pants outside your boots so when the pants get wet around your knees, the water doesn't travel down into your boots & make your feet cold & wet. Who would have thought? Rolling up the pants didn't help given our getting in & out of the zodiacs, so our ever-present roll of duct tape came in handy & DH would roll up my pants & duct tape them to my boots so they didn't trip me up. This probably shows you if nothing else how clothing needs to be PRACTICAL and this is not like a normal cruise! NO glamour here!

Also, we have been on a LOT of cruises and have never been even remotely seasick. Never ever. Well, the Drake Passage is not to be reckoned with when it's rough. Quark's website recommends Phenergan for seasickness (prescription) and I would strongly suggest getting it. I toughed it out by skipping a few meals because I don't like taking meds other than what I already have to take, but DH who is also never seasick ended up taking the Phenergan (and ate like a trucker). There ARE people who have the Drake as smooth as glass in both directions, but don't count on it. Be prepared. :D I don't think Dramamine or any over the counter stuff will cut it. That's just my opinion.

If you have a digital camera, bring plenty of batteries, and keep some close to your body while you're off the ship to keep them warm. My two cents would be not to take a knapsack off the ship on the zodiacs. When you're sitting on the side of the zodiac, if the person in front of you has a knapsack, and they keep twisting & turning to look around, you keep getting hit with the knapsack, so I think it's just not nice to do this to the person behind YOU. There's not a lot of personal space sitting on the edge of the zodiac and it's just easier not to have one, I think. Use the pockets in your coat, preferably the higher ones up near your chest & not the ones down near the hem of the coat.

Is this more information than you wanted to know??? :)

Labe: Thanks for the info on your trip on the Orlova. I am going Nov. 18 and so excited. This is a dream for me. Glad to hear about the backpack as they get in my way too. Thanks for the info on the meds. I am worried about that. I've cruised before but on a much larger ship. I have had the patch but it makes me sick. Is that the meds your husband took? Didn't know about going on the zodiacs late in the day. Also forgot about the ever useful duck tape.

Heather: Maybe I'll pass you when you get back to Ushuaia since I leave the 19 of Nov.! I am flying from Salt lake City the 15 and spending 2 days in Buenos Aries first. I have found some info on the web site Virtual Tourist. Met a woman who will be sailing with me. I heard that eating apples helps with seasickness.

Hope your trip is wonderful. Debby

Just so you know - Shmabbies is not Labe! Labe is a HE and has a DW and Shmabbies is a SHE and has a DH. Just don't want Labe to read my post and find out he has a husband! :D In answer to your question, I don't think the patch & Phenergan have the same ingredients, but I don't know that. Would be a good question for your pharmacist or it might even be on the Quark website. I did see people wearing the patch. This was only during the portion thru the Drake in either direction. The rest of the time the seas are very calm.

Hi Debby, great news! my fingers were way too fast that day, I am departing Ushuaia on the 18th of November, I have no idea why I typed so badly. We are having the 17th day and evening in Buenos Aires and flying down on the 10am flight. So we simply must get together, obviously we will be spending days and memorable sights on the Orlova. We too, have cruised extensively on big and small vessels usually without any seasickness suffering, however, since the people that do suffer sometimes claim death is preferable, then I am going to buy some safety stock in the prescription med...I would much rather be wasting the item, than wishing I had it. Did you select a hotel for BA? I have just about decided upon the Claridge...and today I shall get a big roll of duct-tape out and have it handy for the trip! Do stay in touch......Heather

Oh thank you , thank you. What helpful information. I really hadn't thought of duct-tape, but will set it aside tonight. The backpacks are generally a thorn in my side, my DH likes his, but I too find that people forget that they have this large growth on their backs and when they turn rapidly, they wipe out those around!! I really appreciate your comments, all were most helpful, including that about the ship being warm, I am always warm! so I shall take due consideration of that. Again, my thanks.......Heather

Archived