atlantis submarine in aruba

champtaylor

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Atlantis sub in Aruba in 2002. It was pretty cool. It is very convenient to the cruise terminal. It's a very easy walk, just outside the gate to the terminal, near the main "downtown" area of Oranjestaadt.

We made reservations directly with the Atlantis people and didn't go through the cruiseline. I'm not sure if it was cheaper but just as easy.

You take a small boat out of the harbor and rendezvous with the sub near the reef. Everyone transfers to the sub and then goes down the hatch. Once inside, you sit on 1 long bench, back to back with the other passengers. You're actually in the sub about 40 minutes or so. You can see a lot. The sub cruises past a sunken ship and you see lots of fish and coral. I was disappointed that they didn't have any lights to illuminated things. At 100' everything is pretty monochrome. The coolest thing is when you "land" on the bottom at 150' underwater. It's an odd sensation.

It's a great experience and I highly recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed this excursion a few days ago while cruising aboard the Noordam. I have done Atlantis dives in Cozumel and St. Thomas and feel that this one in Aruba was the best of the three. Our guide aboard the sub gave an outstanding commentary. Booking the excursion through Shore Excursions, the sub was only about half full, so we all had plenty of room and could see easily though the large portholes.

Archived