Saviour of the Spilled Blood OR St. Issac's ?

pmat

Odd... I thought about posting this same question yesterday. :) (Are you working with Vika at SPB Tours?) We were given the same option but then Vika said we could do both - main stop being Church on the Blood but an additional stop at St. Isaacs for about 20-30 minoutes. Some of the others on the tour may decide not to go in but just walk on the grounds or shop. However, if we did have to choose, I'd pick Church on the Blood.

On our upcoming tour to St. Petersburg we have the choice of either touring Saviour of the Spilled Blood OR St. Issac's Cathedral...any suggestions? Thanks, Paula

In my view, BOTH churches are super excellent!!! Each one was built in the 1800's and have very special art works and design details all over their walls and ceilings. First, here are some pictures to give you an idea of what you can and will see with the Spilled Blood church. The name refers to the blood of Tsar Alexander II, who was assassinated on that site in 1881. Construction began in 1883 under Alexander III, as a memorial to his father. Work progressed slowly and was completed during the reign of Nicholas II in 1907. The Church is prominently situated along the Griboedov Canal.

Next, I will post examples from St. Isaac's. Reactions? Questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Spilled Blood Church exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac:

1A-StP-ExtSpilledBld.jpg

A wider shot of the Spilled Blood interior:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

This architectural feature covers the exact site where the Czar had been killed:

1A-StP-Spilled5Bld.jpg

A tighter shot showing design details of wall art works:

1A-StP-Spilled4Bld.jpg

On the ceilings of the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, here are two different examples of its highly-detailed designs:

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

1A-StP-Spilled2Bld.jpg

Here are some of the details and visual samples for comparison on St. Isaac's Cathedral. It is the largest cathedral in the city and was the largest church in Russia when it was built. It is 101.5 meters high. It is dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct from 1818 to 1858. Its neoclassical exterior features a Greek-cross groundplan with a large central dome and four subsidiary domes. The exterior is faced with gray and pink stone. It features a total of 112 large red granite columns with Corinthian capitals, each hewn and erected as a single block that required significant construction skills. Under the Soviet government, the building was abandoned, nearly destroyed and then turned into a museum of atheism.

Reactions and questions? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

An overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

A more detailed look at St. Isaac's ceilings and interior dome:

1A-StP-StIsaac2Int.jpg

Some of the details at St. Isaac's around the sides at this grand and historic church:

1A-StP-St.jpg

A closer look at part of St. Isaac's interior:

1A-StP-Isaac2Interior.jpg

Unique special doors within this Cathedral:

1A-StP-IsaacsChanler.jpg

St. Isaac's exterior and famed dome:

1A-StP-IsaacsExterior.jpg

Take a close look at those photos that Terry posted and remember that Spilled Blood is made of small mosaic tiles. That AMAZING interior is done in tiles that are about 1/2" square or so. It was one of the most amazing sites I have seen anywhere in the world. Truly breathtaking...

Take a close look at those photos that Terry posted and remember that Spilled Blood is made of small mosaic tiles. That AMAZING interior is done in tiles that are about 1/2" square or so. It was one of the most amazing sites I have seen anywhere in the world. Truly breathtaking...

YES! The mosaic tiles are spectacular in this church. Here are some added pictures from the Spilled Blood church and its many interior details. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, maybe more than any other church in the world. The church suffered lots during the World War II siege by the Germans and during the Communist periods with their hate of religion. It was reopened in August 1997, after 27 years of restoration. Even before the Revolution, it never functioned as a public place of worship. It was dedicated exclusively to the memory of the assassinated Czar.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Showing the spectacular ceiling with the large hanging light chandeliers:

StpSpBloodChandl.jpg

Jesus shown with the mosaic tile designs:

StpSpBloodJesus.jpg

More interior details along the sides within the Spilled Blood church:

StpSpBloodRelDecor.jpg

Even the floors are very unique and detailed in their designs:

StpSpBloodFloor.jpg

Some of the carved amber details inside the church:

StpSpBloodAmber.jpg

More detailed are designs on the ceilings:

StpSpBloodAppol.jpg

Excellent photos! It really brings it back. Just remember when in Russia you will be asked to pay a camera fee for each site. Don't think you won't want photos of the interiors - you will!

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Here are some more visuals, details, etc., from inside and outside at St. Isaac's Cathedral. Very spectacular!! You can see why it is hard to choose between these two great and different churches. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

St. Isaac's outdoor columns required engineering skills and creativity to be errected:

StpStIsaColumns.jpg

These St. Isaac interior green columns are covered in the semiprecious stone malachite:

StpStIsaGreenColumns.jpg

Another St. Isaac's ceiling view, including part of the upper dome:

StpStIsaCeiling2.jpg

This shows the mosaics detailed designs with a closer view:

StpStIsaMosDetails.jpg

These special doors within this Cathedral were inspired by those in Florence:

StpStIsaDoorDetails.jpg

An added St. Isaac's ceiling view in another part of this large Cathedral:

StpStIsaSideCeil.jpg

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Church on the Spilled Blood. That said, if you strongly wish to see both, I'm betting your guide can manage it.

Not to get too off the topic, but Terry's wonderful pics reminded me of one of the reasons I really enjoy traveling. I love history and I enjoy "connecting the dots" all over the world. The mosaics in the Church on Spilled Blood reminded me so much of those I saw in Haghia Sophia and Chora church in Istanbul, Turkey, which makes sense because the Byzantine empire embraced the Orthodox church and style (as did Russia). But of course, they also trace back to even older mosaics from ancient Rome. And the floor of the Church on Spilled Blood is quite similar in style to the Pantheon (and also the ancient Senate building in the Forum) in Rome.

The Church of the Spilled Blood is huge,and when they drop you off there, it is really hard to get it all in one picture. Terry probably had the best chance with the wide angle lens. Our group did stop on the way there, over looking a canal, to get a good picture of the entire church.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe647.jpg

From the canal, with the Church in the background

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe648.jpg

Up close and personal

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe764.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe763.jpg

And it's spires can be seen over the treetops

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster656.jpg

Len

If you are on a guided tour I bet they can figure how to get you into both but if you pick just 1, I would also go with the Spilled Blood.

Togh decision as I really liked St Nicholas. Regarding most of the camera fees- ours were included in our tour costs(SPB Tours).

Most of all- hope for lots of sunshine- Makes the interiors brighter- not a lot of extra lighting.

JKW

If you are on a guided tour I bet they can figure how to get you into both but if you pick just 1, I would also go with the Spilled Blood. Togh decision as I really liked St Nicholas. Regarding most of the camera fees- ours were included in our tour costs(SPB Tours).

Most of all- hope for lots of sunshine- Makes the interiors brighter- not a lot of extra lighting. JKW

THANKS, Len and Cynthia, for the nice comments! As our central Ohio neighbor, JKW, says push your tour company to see BOTH!!! These are big churches, but they are not as time-consuming to visit compared to the larger scale and walking time at the Hermitage, Catherine's Palace, Peterhof, etc. Skip the shopping time. You can do more of that in other ports with less of these super-star attractions. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived