Norwegian Gem - Laundry Facilities?

ge0rgette2

I over heard there are no longer laundry facilities on the Norwegian Gem. I'm looking to book a 10 day cruise for January '11 and if no laundry, especially for 3 people, that stinks.

Anyone been on the ship lately and can advise...

Oh, boy, you're opening a can of worms! AFAIK (and I could be wrong), NCL has removed all the self-serve laundry fleet-wide.

You'll get:

From the whiners:

"They're nickeling and dimeing us to death!"

From the cheerleaders:

"You're on vacation, you don't do laundry on vacation"

"If you can't afford to pay for laundry, you shouldn't come on the cruise!"

"If you don't like it, go with some other line!"

"The laundries were unsafe! They took them away to protect the passengers!"

"Just use your sink to do all your laundry, and hang it all up in your shower"

Getting out the popcorn, let see how many we get...

Neither a whiner nor a cheerleader here. Just facts. No, there are no longer self-service laundries on NCL ships. They do offer laundry specials. The last time I cruised NCL there was a "for $25 all you can stuff in this bag" special, and for an additional $5, they'd iron whatever was appropriate to be ironed, offered twice during the cruise. We tood advantage of both times, once early in our 13 day cruise, once later, and came home with mostly clean clothes.

LOL - i had to chuckle over that 'opening a can of worms'... hehe!

Thanks for the information ... I don't mind that much about doing laundry.. but figured it would be easier then packing a huge amount of clothes for a 10 day trip for 3 people.. 3 adults that is.

Also, with freestyle dining, I dont have to have the best of the best clothes, so might be able to get away with them doing my laundry, but then again, shorts and undergarments can be washed like you said in a sink.. I'll just pack some laundry detergent :)

Has anyone cruised on the Gem before out of NY? I was just curious as to what you thought about the inside or oceanview sizes of the cabins... I've cruised Princess and Carnival - with Carnival having the biggest i've seen so far. With 3 adults in a room -it's gonna be a tight squeeze I'm thinking.

I'd love to leave out of FL, but believe we are booking out of NY - Will pray all year that January in NY will have so so weather :)

Now that i've babbled enough hehe, enjoy the day!

TY again for the responses.

LOL - i had to chuckle over that 'opening a can of worms'... hehe!

Thanks for the information ... I don't mind that much about doing laundry.. but figured it would be easier then packing a huge amount of clothes for a 10 day trip for 3 people.. 3 adults that is.

Also, with freestyle dining, I dont have to have the best of the best clothes, so might be able to get away with them doing my laundry, but then again, shorts and undergarments can be washed like you said in a sink.. I'll just pack some laundry detergent :)

Has anyone cruised on the Gem before out of NY? I was just curious as to what you thought about the inside or oceanview sizes of the cabins... I've cruised Princess and Carnival - with Carnival having the biggest i've seen so far. With 3 adults in a room -it's gonna be a tight squeeze I'm thinking.

I'd love to leave out of FL, but believe we are booking out of NY - Will pray all year that January in NY will have so so weather :)

Now that i've babbled enough hehe, enjoy the day!

TY again for the responses.

We, 2 adults, were in an inside cabin for 10 days last month and it was perfect. With 3 you will have 1 in a bunk that comes down from the wall, and it will be full while sleeping but the cabin steward will make that up during the day. The closet has quite a bit of room, and several deep shelves for putting clothes, and there are 3 drawers for storage as well. The cabins seem well organized, and I think you will be quite cozy. :)

There is a retractable clothes line in the shower for hanging those sink washed undergarments.

TYVM Tequila...

My son being 19 would more than likely sleep on that pull out wall thingy, lol.

I'm just hoping it wont be that bad for him.

;)

I really don't want to pay full price for a balcony.. I'm sure the room will be tight when the 3 are in.. but even during the day to take a nap, we'll be fighting over a bed to lay on LOL

TYVM Tequila...

My son being 19 would more than likely sleep on that pull out wall thingy, lol.

I'm just hoping it wont be that bad for him.

;)

I really don't want to pay full price for a balcony.. I'm sure the room will be tight when the 3 are in.. but even during the day to take a nap, we'll be fighting over a bed to lay on LOL

There are always beds in Bliss, or the Spinaker lounge for the afternoon nap...:D

I really love the inside cabins, because they are so cozy....and allow us to cruise more frequently since we are saving so much money on them. :)

I over heard there are no longer laundry facilities on the Norwegian Gem. I'm looking to book a 10 day cruise for January '11 and if no laundry, especially for 3 people, that stinks.

Anyone been on the ship lately and can advise...

Agree it stinks especially for families, it is all about money as you know all these big corporations not only NCL want more and more. Greed is not good. By the way it will bring the dress standard down even further it is a good excuse for the minority to stay in the same clothes.

Agree it stinks especially for families, it is all about money as you know all these big corporations not only NCL want more and more. Greed is not good. By the way it will bring the dress standard down even further it is a good excuse for the minority to stay in the same clothes.

self edit.

PE

Back to the original question --- anyone have any idea when the laundry special(s) will be offered on a 7 day cruise? We're sailing out of Venice in May after spending some time in Italy, and we're trying to limit our luggage as much as possible, especially since we'll be hauling it through the streets of Venice to/from our hotel there.

Back to the original question --- anyone have any idea when the laundry special(s) will be offered on a 7 day cruise? We're sailing out of Venice in May after spending some time in Italy, and we're trying to limit our luggage as much as possible, especially since we'll be hauling it through the streets of Venice to/from our hotel there.

On a 7 day cruise the laundry special typically isn't until the 3rd day, and takes a couple days to get it back.....just in time to take home.

I have found the laundry prices onboard to be comparable to what a hotel would charge for the same service (except I've never seen a hotel offer a laundry bag special).

Freestyle dining means you don't have to wash any of your clothes...

You're not dining with the same group every night, so every night is new. No one will know that you've worn the same dress/blouse/pants/shirt for the 6th time to dinner.

That is, unless you have a large amount of food left over from the previous meal on your shirt, then they might know....

(grin)

If you use the everyday service they charge for each item and that could add up, with the bag deal just roll everything up and fill it to the top, we have saved alot buy doing this. They pick up around noon and get it back to you the next afternoon, most times you get everything back, not always so make a list.

Archived