Car/Van Rental in Skagway

Purpleprincess4

Hello eveyone,

I have been reading some very interesting posts about renting a vehicle and driving ourselves to the Yukon. I have a family of 6 and need a minivan/ Tahoe/suburban to do this ourselves. However, Avis is not offering anything other than standard 5 seat cars. Does anyone know of other companies in Skagway that can accomodate my party?

Thanks, Cheryl

Have you used them before?

I live just north of Skagway so never need a car there, I just visit friends or enjoy the ship while in Skagway. But in the past few years there have been no complaints, and I see a lot of their cars and trucks on the road so would have no hesitation in using them.

Tina,

Thanks! I see that you were on the Golden Princess in December. What did you think of the renovations?

The International Cafe - great. That's our favorite place to eat lunch on ship. DH loves their shrimp and their sandwiches (on a roll not bread). For me the chicken salad and quiche can't be beat. The soft serve ice cream was good too. They have a real nice area for excursions, captain circle and FCC hostesses. We couldn't find anything really wrong with the ship. I know food is very subjective but we enjoyed the Horizon Court. Only ate once in the MDR and enjoyed being very casual the whole cruise. Just wish there was an IC on the Diamond which we are on to Alaska.

The International Cafe - great. That's our favorite place to eat lunch on ship. DH loves their shrimp and their sandwiches (on a roll not bread). For me the chicken salad and quiche can't be beat. The soft serve ice cream was good too. They have a real nice area for excursions, captain circle and FCC hostesses. We couldn't find anything really wrong with the ship. I know food is very subjective but we enjoyed the Horizon Court. Only ate once in the MDR and enjoyed being very casual the whole cruise. Just wish there was an IC on the Diamond which we are on to Alaska.

Thanks so much Tina! This should really be off this thread, but, If you think of anything else that I would benefit from knowing, let me know! I am wondering about the fixed dining that we have scheduled. A group of 21 of us including kids are going, so we really all wanted to have a time when we can regroup after the day and share what we did.

Tina and Yukon were ABSOLUTELY correct! Gary was a huge help. Just in case anybody else is interested - Gary told me that no one is in the Skagway office until about May 10th. They will have some mini vans for the Summer Season you just can't reserve them in the Avis online system. Avis seems a little more pricey than Sourdough. I have yet to hear from Sourdough so we will see what happens from here.

I rented once from Avis and once from Sourdough.

We had a mini van from Sourdough.

Avis was a bit more expensive but Sourdough vehicles were older and not in as good of a condition.

call Avis about reserving a van from them.

Tina and Yukon were ABSOLUTELY correct! Gary was a huge help. Just in case anybody else is interested - Gary told me that no one is in the Skagway office until about May 10th. They will have some mini vans for the Summer Season you just can't reserve them in the Avis online system. Avis seems a little more pricey than Sourdough. I have yet to hear from Sourdough so we will see what happens from here.

Glad Yukon got the number for you. I've been away from house all day. Google murrary's guide for website to order the guide for driving to Carcross and Emerald Lake. I got it a few weeks ago and it's really neat. Makes me want to be up there now.

For the Golden dining, just be sure to have your TA cross reference all your bookings so hopefully they will assign your traditional dining tables next to each other. If you change to anytime dining, check with the Maitre 'd as soon as you board to see if he can assign your group to tables next to one another.

Glad Yukon got the number for you. I've been away from house all day. Google murrary's guide for website to order the guide for driving to Carcross and Emerald Lake. I got it a few weeks ago and it's really neat. Makes me want to be up there now.

For the Golden dining, just be sure to have your TA cross reference all your bookings so hopefully they will assign your traditional dining tables next to each other. If you change to anytime dining, check with the Maitre 'd as soon as you board to see if he can assign your group to tables next to one another.

I have not seen the Murry's guide but I found the information on the following url very useful

http://www.skagwaynews.com/AK04highwayguide.html

I have not seen the Murry's guide but I found the information on the following url very useful

http://www.skagwaynews.com/AK04highwayguide.html

Check out this website and there is a sample of the guide that you can check out. http://www.*****************/ I think it will be a big help when drive to Carcross.

You will have to google murrary's guide as CC wouldn't let the URL go through

When I called the Anchorage office, they said they expected to have only 2 vans available on any given day so good advice to call there if you need one. They were keeping a manifest until the office opens.

They said it was "possible" that they could have more once the office officially opens.

I called back in Nov to rent our van for our May cruise. Had read that they don't keep a lot of vans around and wanted to make sure we would have one.

ISo Yukon....before I get this can you recommend a good place for lunch?

No chains please. We love hole in the wall places.

You're in luck - all we have is holes-in-the-walls :D

- at the Carcross gas station (Km 106.0) – standard café fare

- Caribou Crossing (Km 108.6) – chicken barbecue

- The Cinnamon Cache (Km 115.0) – soup-and-sandwiches

- Spirit Lake Lodge (Km 115.4) – soup-and-sandwiches, burgers, etc

I usually go to the Cinnamon Cache for a light lunch, Caribou Crossing for a big one.

Yukon - I've read somewhere that you need Canadian money as they don't accept US. Are there any ATMs in the vicinity?

All businesses in the Carcross area accept US$ (some even have separate US$ tills), but there's a private (ca $2 fee) ATM at the Carcross gas station.

You're in luck - all we have is holes-in-the-walls :D

- at the Carcross gas station (Km 106.0) – standard café fare

- Caribou Crossing (Km 108.6) – chicken barbecue

- The Cinnamon Cache (Km 115.0) – soup-and-sandwiches

- Spirit Lake Lodge (Km 115.4) – soup-and-sandwiches, burgers, etc

I usually go to the Cinnamon Cache for a light lunch, Caribou Crossing for a big one.

Thanks! We'll check them out. We're bikers so we've been know to ride quite a ways for a good hole in the wall.

Archived