RE: St. Lucia train station to cruise terminal

SXM54

We will be staying at a hotel directly to the left of St. Lucia train station pre-cruise. Could someone familiar with Venice please tell us how to get from St. Lucia train station to the terminal? Also, how much will it cost and how long will it take to get there? We will have several bags of luggage with us as well. Appreciate your help in advance....thanks!

Asked and answered a lot - a quick use of the search function will turn up very specific instructions.

Your basic choices are:

1) Carry your luggage across the bridge (steps on both sides) to Piazzale Roma and take a land taxi from there

2) Carry your luggage across the bridge (steps on both sides) to Piazzale Roma and take a local bus from there

3) Take the vaporetto to Tronchetto, then carry your luggage across a bridge from there

4) Take the vaporetto to Tronchetto, then take a land taxi from there (not sure how feasible this option is, don't know about availability of taxis at Tronchetto

5) Hire a private water taxi to take you directly to the cruise port

6) Take a train one stop to Venice Mestre and take a land taxi from there

With a lot of luggage, the only option that will be "easy" is the most expensive, the private water taxi.

Here we go again ! The bridge between the train station and Piazzale Roma is very difficult to use even with NO luggage.

It is a hump back bridge where you climb steps to the top , go over and then down. There are no ramps and it is high.

You can take the vaporetto(water bus)to Piazzale Roma and then a city land bus,taxi, or walk but it is a 20min. walk so not a great idea.

Tronchetto is a car park. I have never seen taxis there of any sort. It is still not proven that you can walk from there to the cruise port as the local Venetian opinion is that it would be "mad" to do so.

A private water taxi would work.

Taking the train back one stop to Mestre on the mainland and then a land taxi would also work.

The shortest and certainly cheapest way to go is up and over the bridge between the train station and Piazzale Roma, then catch the bus to the port (or the people mover? This is new and wasn't in place last year, so I am not familiar with it).

As other posters have mentioned, the bridge to Piazzale Roma from the train station is not a small bridge. Since your hotel is so close to the bridge, I might recommend scouting it out the day before to see if you can manage making it over the bridge with your luggage in tow, as this will depend completely on 1) your physical ability and 2) how much luggage you have. My wife and I (we were 27 years old last year) both managed the bridge with no problems, but I do completely understand that this may not be the case for everyone! If you don't think you can carry over the bridge yourselves, then you should research which of the other options mentioned above fits with your needs and budget.

We will be staying at a hotel directly to the left of St. Lucia train station pre-cruise. Could someone familiar with Venice please tell us how to get from St. Lucia train station to the terminal? Also, how much will it cost and how long will it take to get there? We will have several bags of luggage with us as well. Appreciate your help in advance....thanks!

As Eurocruiser said

) Carry your luggage across the bridge (steps on both sides) to Piazzale Roma.

From there catch the free RCCL bus shuttle from Piazza Roma to the cruise terminal (look for the bus, it will have a Royal Caribbean sign in the front window) on the 22nd, since our hotel is close to Piazza Roma we plan on catching the RCCL shuttle also, we are also on the same cruise.

Anything can be done for a price. Why not ask at your hotel if they can provide a porter to carry your luggage across the bridge? I'm sure whatever they charge will be less than a water taxi. From there you can pick up the free shuttle your cruise line offers.

Thank you so much for all of the valuable information. We will have 4 suitcases between the two of us. I will be traveling with my son who is in his 20's...I'm in my 50's. We are both physically in excellent condition. So we can probably cross the bridge and then catch the bus or cab. We could also take the train then a cab. We will check out thebridge, then make a decision. I will let you know what we end up doing and how we make out! Sorry for having to ask this question again but appreciate all of the recommendations. I did check the area on google earth, which was helpful as well.

As Eurocruiser said

) Carry your luggage across the bridge (steps on both sides) to Piazzale Roma.

From there catch the free RCCL bus shuttle from Piazza Roma to the cruise terminal (look for the bus, it will have a Royal Caribbean sign in the front window) on the 22nd, since our hotel is close to Piazza Roma we plan on catching the RCCL shuttle also, we are also on the same cruise.

Which hotel are you staying at in Piazza Roma? I was just checking the latest reviews on trip advisor for our hotel and someone complained about missing money that they left in the room safe...just some of their money not everything. They immediately reported this to the hotel and the hotel felt they possible made a mistake and were not aware what was left in the safe. Needless to say, they were not happy with their stay at the hotel and did not recommend staying at this hotel. However, others recommend the hotel. I was thinking of changing hotels but I like the location and proximity to pier. The hotel is rated as a 3 1/2 to 4...so we are paying a lot for one night. And the hotel is booked for 5/21.

Which hotel are you staying at in Piazza Roma? I was just checking the latest reviews on trip advisor for our hotel and someone complained about missing money that they left in the room safe...just some of their money not everything. They immediately reported this to the hotel and the hotel felt they possible made a mistake and were not aware what was left in the safe. Needless to say, they were not happy with their stay at the hotel and did not recommend staying at this hotel. However, others recommend the hotel. I was thinking of changing hotels but I like the location and proximity to pier. The hotel is rated as a 3 1/2 to 4...so we are paying a lot for one night. And the hotel is booked for 5/21.

Papadolpoli Venezia (Former Sofitel), It is less than a 5 minute walk from Piazza Roma, just across the bridge.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1313-papadopoli-venezia-former-sofitel/index.shtml

1313_ac_02_p_445x334.jpg

Archived