Review of July 10th Cruise

Prologue

Yes, you read the title correctly. This is a review of a cruise that I haven’t gone on yet. I know this is unusual, but my experiences with this cruise have been unusual. So I figured I’d share my pre-cruise experience with everyone. (Or at least everyone on this board.)

Our adventure began on our last cruise. I booked my family of four on the Freedom of the Seas for April. We booked this on the Explorer last July. Supposedly a few other families were going to join us. I had started a Facebook group that 18 people joined called, “Cruisin’ in 2010,” to discuss where and when we would go. One family was definite and many others were maybes. I immediately emailed the definite family from the ship to tell them when and where we were going. They live in Florida, so travel there was going to be easy for them. I didn’t hear back from them until two weeks after we got home from the Explorer. I figured what the answer would be and I was right, they decided to do something else in April. None of the other families were going to join us either.

So it was decision time for us. Was it worth it to take the family on this cruise or would it make more sense to use Marriott points I had accumulated, do an all-inclusive with the family in April and my wife and I could go on a cruise during the summer without the kids? Our kids go to a sleep away camp for the summer making it a great time to do something on our own. We decided that was a better idea.

So I emailed my TA and told her that we would like options for Alaska and the Mediterranean in July. Then it came to me! Why not Oasis?!?! So I emailed her again and she said she had just been on and we would love that ship! At that point it became my first choice. When we got the quotes it was cheapest and it was a done deal! We also used AMEX points for the flights, which was a nice savings.

Then she gave me the choice of balconies and I thought about it. I’ve said this a few times on this board, how I came to that choice, but here it is again. I chose a Central Park Balcony because I figured CP would be nice and quiet. I really prefer to look out at the ocean, but I figured this would be my opportunity to grab one of these inside balconies. If I hate it, I never have to do it again. If I don’t do it, I’m going to continue to want to do it, so I might as well get it over with now. If I love it, that’s wonderful!

We also chose My Time Dining. This was going to be unusual for us. We enjoy the dining room. We enjoy meeting new people. We enjoy going our separate ways and then coming together for dinner and talking about what each of us did that day and what we have planned for the next. Sometimes we’ll even make plans together! But looking at the Oasis and all of its dining choices, I figured MTD was going to be right for us. But this was going to be an unusual cruise, that was clear.

This is where our adventure REALLY began.

Next Part - Pre-cruise Planning

BrianAlt: Your scared me! I'm counting down the days and when I say your post began to believe I got caught in a time warp. I thought I'd pulled a Rip VanWinkle and slept through our cruise! What a relief...I haven't missed the ship and can look forward to a wonderful cruise in only 18 days!!! See you there.:D

I'm counting down the days and when I say your post began to believe I got caught in a time warp. I thought I'd pulled a Rip VanWinkle and slept through our cruise! What a relief...I haven't missed the ship and can look forward to a wonderful cruise in only 18 days!!! See you there.:D

Yep! You're safe. :D

I haven't got to the more interesting part yet, the Pre-cruise planning. Stay tuned!

Pre-cruise Planning

The first thing I did was to make dinner reservations at all of the specialty restaurants. My wife and I consider dining to be entertainment. With all of the choices on this ship, I wanted to try them all! So I made reservations at Giovanni’s the second night, Chops the fifth night, Solarium Bistro the sixth night and I figured I’d cap it off with 150 CP the seventh night. Then I made MTD reservations the first, third and fourth nights. I chose all different times, figured we could mix that up a bit. All were between 7:00 PM and 8:30 PM.

The next thing I did was to order a 5-bottle Platinum wine package. I figured that would work well, save us a few dollars and still give some flexibility for nicer bottles on a couple of nights. We generally finish a bottle at each meal and if we didn’t finish it, we could have a glass the next night on the balcony, or walk out with a glass to enjoy during the shows or walking around the ship.

Suddenly I realized that I didn’t know when the shows were! So I started doing some Internet searches to see if I could figure that out. Then something REALLY remarkable happened! I found the Cruise Critic message boards! The information at hand! Oh, so much information! I was in heaven. Roll Call? What’s that? Ah! I get it. Hmmm, only one person on my roll call. Meet and Mingle, should I sign up for that? Oh, just one other couple on that too. Well, maybe more will show up later.

I tried booking my shows, but show bookings still weren’t open, so I kept trying. I posted here asking when they would be available. I was told (as I have now told others) that it usually opens up a little more than 60-days before. I would TRY to be patient.

73-days prior to my sailing (I checked my emails for the exact date) the show bookings were opened! Now it was a puzzle. I HAD to schedule all of the shows, but how could I fit them all in around our dinner reservations? I did it! I think I had to reschedule one MTD reservation; otherwise it was no problem at all.

I also made a reservation for a Flowrider lesson. 6:15 on the first day! Should get me ready to do some tricks later on in the cruise. ;)

Then I noticed a thread about the Chef’s Table. Hmm, tasting menu with wine pairings? Sounds right up our alley! I emailed RCI for reservations and by the next morning I was all set! Very painless. So now I’m down to only two MTD reservations.

The Roll Call started to get active and BOOM! We’re now at 31 people for the Meet & Mingle. Hooray! My first Meet & Mingle!

On to excursions, do I want to do any excursions? Cozumel, we’ve been there several times. Eh, I figure we’ll just go have some lunch and a couple of Margaritas then get back on the ship. Hey, wait a minute, there’s a Cozumel board on CC! Let’s check that out. Hmmm, everyone’s talking about Nachi Cocum. Wow, sounds like my wife would love this. Email them and DONE, now we know what we’re doing in Cozumel. Thank you again CC message boards!

Labadee, we’ll ride the coaster, then find a quiet spot (if we can) and relax by the beach.

Costa Maya, yeah, I know, everyone is talking about Maya Chan. I was figuring we would just check out the main area and then go back on the ship. Maybe I’ll change my mind. I’m checking more into Maya Chan. (Feel free to try to convince me. Should I do Nachi AND Maya Chan?)

My most recent transaction was to cancel our 5-bottle package. Why? We will be doing the wine pairings at the Chef’s Table and at 150 CP. I figured it didn’t make sense to get 5 other bottles. In fact, I might even go to Vintages one night and have wine and tapas. It just didn’t make sense to keep the 5-bottle package.

Now if I go to the Japanese restaurant we will not be in the MTDR at all!

So, this is going to be a cruise like none I’ve ever been on. Why? Because we will have a balcony that faces other people, because we won’t be in the main dining room, because I’m unsure how many people we’ll meet doing it this way, because I’ll be going to my first Meet & Mingle (certainly could help in meeting people), because we’ll be doing things that I never did before and never thought of before.

This will be a different cruise for sure! And I’m soooo looking forward to it!

Next Part - Packed and leaving (in about 2 weeks time)

Thanks for the lovely "before the cruise" thread ... I have to wait until a year from October to board the ship. Really enjoy the planning part of the cruise .. very nice concept of inviting us along on the pre-cruise information. I can't wait until I can make reservations, etc. Jan

You are to funny. Cant wait to meet this couple. We choose to do the my time dining also for the 1st time. If you two get lonely we will sit with you. But, Im having a feeling you wont have that problem. hahaha:o:o.

Was also debating the coaster ride in Labadee. Heard it was alot of fun. Were going to do the Chankanaab Marine Park on our own in Cozumel and Costa Maya just chill on the beach and get massages. Can't wait!! 18 more days.

Pre-cruise Planning

The first thing I did was to make dinner reservations at all of the specialty restaurants. My wife and I consider dining to be entertainment. With all of the choices on this ship, I wanted to try them all! So I made reservations at Giovanni’s the second night, Chops the fifth night, Solarium Bistro the sixth night and I figured I’d cap it off with 150 CP the seventh night. Then I made MTD reservations the first, third and fourth nights. I chose all different times, figured we could mix that up a bit. All were between 7:00 PM and 8:30 PM.

The next thing I did was to order a 5-bottle Platinum wine package. I figured that would work well, save us a few dollars and still give some flexibility for nicer bottles on a couple of nights. We generally finish a bottle at each meal and if we didn’t finish it, we could have a glass the next night on the balcony, or walk out with a glass to enjoy during the shows or walking around the ship.

Suddenly I realized that I didn’t know when the shows were! So I started doing some Internet searches to see if I could figure that out. Then something REALLY remarkable happened! I found the Cruise Critic message boards! The information at hand! Oh, so much information! I was in heaven. Roll Call? What’s that? Ah! I get it. Hmmm, only one person on my roll call. Meet and Mingle, should I sign up for that? Oh, just one other couple on that too. Well, maybe more will show up later.

I tried booking my shows, but show bookings still weren’t open, so I kept trying. I posted here asking when they would be available. I was told (as I have now told others) that it usually opens up a little more than 60-days before. I would TRY to be patient.

73-days prior to my sailing (I checked my emails for the exact date) the show bookings were opened! Now it was a puzzle. I HAD to schedule all of the shows, but how could I fit them all in around our dinner reservations? I did it! I think I had to reschedule one MTD reservation; otherwise it was no problem at all.

I also made a reservation for a Flowrider lesson. 6:15 on the first day! Should get me ready to do some tricks later on in the cruise. ;)

Then I noticed a thread about the Chef’s Table. Hmm, tasting menu with wine pairings? Sounds right up our alley! I emailed RCI for reservations and by the next morning I was all set! Very painless. So now I’m down to only two MTD reservations.

The Roll Call started to get active and BOOM! We’re now at 31 people for the Meet & Mingle. Hooray! My first Meet & Mingle!

On to excursions, do I want to do any excursions? Cozumel, we’ve been there several times. Eh, I figure we’ll just go have some lunch and a couple of Margaritas then get back on the ship. Hey, wait a minute, there’s a Cozumel board on CC! Let’s check that out. Hmmm, everyone’s talking about Nachi Cocum. Wow, sounds like my wife would love this. Email them and DONE, now we know what we’re doing in Cozumel. Thank you again CC message boards!

Labadee, we’ll ride the coaster, then find a quiet spot (if we can) and relax by the beach.

Costa Maya, yeah, I know, everyone is talking about Maya Chan. I was figuring we would just check out the main area and then go back on the ship. Maybe I’ll change my mind. I’m checking more into Maya Chan. (Feel free to try to convince me. Should I do Nachi AND Maya Chan?)

My most recent transaction was to cancel our 5-bottle package. Why? We will be doing the wine pairings at the Chef’s Table and at 150 CP. I figured it didn’t make sense to get 5 other bottles. In fact, I might even go to Vintages one night and have wine and tapas. It just didn’t make sense to keep the 5-bottle package.

Now if I go to the Japanese restaurant we will not be in the MTDR at all!

So, this is going to be a cruise like none I’ve ever been on. Why? Because we will have a balcony that faces other people, because we won’t be in the main dining room, because I’m unsure how many people we’ll meet doing it this way, because I’ll be going to my first Meet & Mingle (certainly could help in meeting people), because we’ll be doing things that I never did before and never thought of before.

This will be a different cruise for sure! And I’m soooo looking forward to it!

Next Part - Packed and leaving (in about 2 weeks time)

I love it!! you are so organized, actually so am I. looking forward to more!! and i see we have reached enough for the meet and mingle..:)

Did you see the Oasis on National Geographic??:) It was so coooooollll!!! I have it recorded and plan on watching it 10 more times before the 18 days are up. What an amazing ship!!!

:confused:Hey, what happened to everybody signed up for our M&M?? I know were meeting at Dazzles Sunday @ 10:30 but, will the others get a confirmation by e-mail??? I'm brand spankin new to cruise critic.

Ok, Brian. Got any good tips to add. I picked up a few here and there. I have found people referencing to a couple quiet unknown areas of the ship. Found one right next door to our room. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I know, I'm a little crazy. :o But it's all part of the fun, isn't it?

I was hoping this would be a good post for anyone planning out their Oasis cruise.

Enjoy!

I sure did see the Oasis on NatGeo. Was a great show! I have it DVRed and I'll probably watch it a couple more times. As for the lesser known parts of the ship, I've definitely taken note of those!

Thanks everyone. I know, I'm a little crazy. :o But it's all part of the fun, isn't it?

I was hoping this would be a good post for anyone planning out their Oasis cruise.

Enjoy!

I sure did see the Oasis on NatGeo. Was a great show! I have it DVRed and I'll probably watch it a couple more times. As for the lesser known parts of the ship, I've definitely taken note of those!

Ok, so what is the name of the show about the Oasis? I want to see that!! I don't think I am going on the oasis, but I just love seeing things about any cruise ship. Another thing to do to cure that cruise fever :) is to go on youtube and there are LOADS of videos about the Oasis.

I like the idea of the pre-sailing review. We booked this cruise while on the Liberty last summer - we love cruising and the kids are old enough to venture out on their own; however, we always seem to find them by the flow rider (they are also doing a personal lesson the day we board). I'm not very coordinated, but I'm really good at cheering them on (ie: laughing)! We may pick up a WOW phone; however, we've heard pros and cons about them. I'm looking forward to checking out the ship; not certain if we'll even get off when she docks (this would include the final docking in FL!). We might be the first stow-aways!

Ann

This was really fun to read. I logged on looking for your thread first. Although I enjoy reading all the different reviews, this was a different twist. Planning (to me) is part of the fun of vacationing; while everyone plans differently your pre-cruise review reminded me of some things to consider and the "don't forget to" things.

Thumbs Up!

Brian thanks for all of the info. Like you, my wife and i love dining out so we booked all of the specialty restaurants and chefs table which only leaves three other nights. How did you book my time dining? I tried on the website without success. Thanks.

How did you book my time dining? I tried on the website without success. Thanks.

Go into your reservation, get to the Calendar (the website is screwy, when you try to ADD anything, it takes you to the Calendar. At least it does for me). Select My Time Daily Reservations in the drop down at the top and click GO. Click on Reserve or Modify My Time Dining Reservations. Add a reservation and select, "Reservations on different times and/or with different people each day of my cruise," radio button. Put in your email address and check all of your guests. Click Confirm Guests. Then select the date and time you want the reservation and the table preference (alone or with others) and click Finish and Review or Make Reservations for the Next Day.

That should about do it. Repeat until you have all three days covered.

Thanks Brian. I am still having the same problem but it says "

cor_systemerror_ico_sm.gifYou have not selected My Time Dining for this reservation. My Time Dining needs to be selected in order to make daily reservations.

I will just have to call and see whats going on.

BrianAlt, your DW is a very lucky woman to have such an organized DH. There are so many dining options on the Oasis that it is very smart to plan ahead so you can make the most out of your time on the ship.

You are going to love it. The Oasis is not like any other ship, and the experience will not be like any other cruise.

If you are really ambitious or haven't done so already, you may want to start a checklist of things not to miss while onboard. There have been numerous threads about extraordinary features of the Oasis that it should be easy to get a good sized to-do list.

Here's mine :) : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1192272

Archived