4 night pre-cruise to Moorea

trav25

We are contemplating doing a 4 night pre-cruise to Moorea and then the 7 day Society Island cruise compared to 11 day Society Island and Tuamotus cruise. Has anyone done the 4 night pre-cruise to Moorea? How was it getting the ferry to the PG cruise? I'd certainly like time to recoup from the flight.

Trav25, that's the way to do it. After taking the 10 day itinerary twice, and the 7 day twice, next time I would stay at LEAST 5 days at the Moorea Hilton. Of course, it depends on what attracts you to the South Seas, but for us its the snorkeling, and it is just the best just off the Moorea Hilton beach.

I did not find much benefit in the long trek to the Tuomotos, and as I say - to me it will be the best of both worlds to stay in a lovely hotel with a great lagoon for half the trip, and the other half take the 7 day.

As far as the ferry goes, there are several ferry departures each day back and forth Moorea/Papeete. I believe there is a high speed ferry now as well. Its pretty close anyway.

My two cents.....:D

We've not done Moorea, but a 4-night pre-cruise plus the 7-day itinerary is a perfect way to do it. And each time we've been on the ship, we've said, "next time we're staying on Moorea"! The 7-day itinerary is great, just amazing but it warrants a few extra days on land, for sure.

If booking thru the cruiseline I'm betting they will offer you the Intercontinental, since they own the cruiseline, or at least part of it.

We've not done Moorea, but a 4-night pre-cruise plus the 7-day itinerary is a perfect way to do it. And each time we've been on the ship, we've said, "next time we're staying on Moorea"! The 7-day itinerary is great, just amazing but it warrants a few extra days on land, for sure.

If booking thru the cruiseline I'm betting they will offer you the Intercontinental, since they own the cruiseline, or at least part of it.

I'm glad I found this post. I remember reading it and thinking to self "I need to post an update on the Intercontinental for efriends".

Regarding the Moorea Intercontinental, anyone who is booked there, or considering booking there, should go somewhere else. It's very messy with construction and not as beautiful a resort as it should be. They appear to be working very hard to get the place revamped. Maybe in 2 months Tahitian time would be better for a stay there. We walked through to see the dolphins this month. Looks nothing like it did July 2009 - the cyclone hit hard apparently.

AnglerGirl, when were you at the IC Moorea? We are booked for Oct 8 - 12, 2010 pre-cruise in an OWB and were told that construction should be complete by end of July. Not true in your opinion?

Discovery77, take a look at this link: http://www.pacificbeachcomber.com/projects/moorea-hotel-renovations/

The article on the Pacific Beachcomber website says the renovations at the InterContinental Moorea are now complete. (Pacific Beachcomber is the company that manages the IC.)

There's also a press release about the renovation posted at the Tahiti Tourism North America website:

http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/media/pressreleases/pressdetail.asp?id=21

Hopefully this means the resort will be in tip-top shape when you arrive.

AnglerGirl: when did you last visit the IC property? We went by in late May 2010 and it was definitely in full construction mode at that time. It should be lovely when the project is completed though.

AnglerGirl, when were you at the IC Moorea? We are booked for Oct 8 - 12, 2010 pre-cruise in an OWB and were told that construction should be complete by end of July. Not true in your opinion?

I don't know what the work schedule is like so I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the end of July timeline. We were there on a Sunday so none of the heavy equipment was being used nor were there any workers.

Discovery77, take a look at this link: http://www.pacificbeachcomber.com/projects/moorea-hotel-renovations/

The article on the Pacific Beachcomber website says the renovations at the InterContinental Moorea are now complete. (Pacific Beachcomber is the company that manages the IC.)

There's also a press release about the renovation posted at the Tahiti Tourism North America website:

http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/media/pressreleases/pressdetail.asp?id=21

Hopefully this means the resort will be in tip-top shape when you arrive.

AnglerGirl: when did you last visit the IC property? We went by in late May 2010 and it was definitely in full construction mode at that time. It should be lovely when the project is completed though.

I was there July 4. If Beachcomber stated they're done with construction, then I applaud the expeditious work and take it with a grain of salt. Perhaps folks from Trip Advisor can chime in, I don't know. Much can be done in 3 weeks time, no? There was plenty to do, fix, plant and spiffy up. I counted nine AC units to be installed. Even the front entrance to the resort was creepily unkept. I was there in Aug last year and IMO the place needed to be fixed up a little then, so it was overdue for a fresh layer of palm fronds.

Thanks everyone for your links and information. From all that I have read, it appears that renos are complete. I am looking forward to a few days of rest & relaxation before our cruise. We are virgins on the PG cruise circuit but after reading all of the messages on this board think it will not be our last.

:D

I returned yesterday from a 5 night precruise in Moorea followed by the 11 night PG cruise. I will be posting a cruise review shortly but you can read the first two parts of my trip report on tripadvisor.com, under FP. The ferry dock is about 100 yards from the PG ship. We walked between the two in 60 seconds. The ferry is on a 30 minute ride to Moorea.

IMHO, if did it again, I would do the cruise first and then the stay in Moorea. You have to get off the ship by noon, at the latest. Flights out of FP are not until almost midnight. Although we had a day room this was a wasted day. It would have been more practical to leave the ship in the morning and take the ferry to Moorea. We then could have either taken the last ferry of the day back or flown back from Moorea on the date of our departure.

The Hilton was fabulous.

Archived