Has anyone traveled with infants??

Pebbles468

We're considering traveling with our twins in June ~ they'll be 10 months old at the time.

Can anyone who has traveled with infants on Disney Wonder before provide any information on gear the cruiseline can provide?

Do we put in a request for these items through our TA, or is it figured out by DCL based on our reservation?

These are our first children and have no clue about traveling with children ~ so any information you provide would be extremely helpful.

Also, do we need to bring car seats?? We're planning on getting a limo from the airport to the ship, so I'm not sure we'd need them in the back of a limo. Although, I don't know about these things.

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was when my son was 9 months old. We brought all of our own things (pack n' play, stroller, car seat etc.). I don't know how many of these things the Cruiseline provides... I do know that they have strollers at Guest Relations that you can borrow. You could call the Cruiseline and they should have this information for you.

I, myself, would not take any transportation in Florida that did not allow me to put my children in car seats. However, you could check with the limo companies to see who may have car seats in their stock. If you did not want to transport two car seats with you, the Disney bus may be a safer option. We have rented a car in the past through Budget ( you can read other threads about the ease and cost efficiency of doing it this way) and they allowed us to leave our car seat in their storage room until we returned from the ship... we were renting a car for the return to airport. This was a Godsend since we did not have to carry it on board or store it in our cabin.

On the Cruise they do have a nursery available for a fee. Sign up for this is on a first come, first served basis. So you need to go straight to the nursery upon embarkation and wait in line until the sign ups begin. When we cruised the fee was $6/hour for the first child, $5 each additional. The facilities were very clean, and the counselors were very kind.

I just got off the NCL Sun with my 10 month old DD - only child. We had a wonderful experience and disney is supposed to be great. We rented a car from Alamo and did not find it easy or quick to get to the ship in Miami. I will not do that again. We did not bring our own car seat because of the rental and we were taking the NCL shuttle to the airport after the cruise. Well, do to weather in New England we spent three extra days in the Fort Lauderdale area. I was less than happy about it, but my DD ended up in taxi's and shuttles in no car seat. No one even questioned it. We were lucky nothing happened.

I would request whatever you need. You may not have to, but better safe than sorry.

My IL's came with us. If you can talk someone else into coming with you it may make your life a little easier - lots of stuff to carry with one baby never mind two.

Good luck and have fun! It was wonderful traveling with my little girl!

I can only give you some info about cribs. Our travel agent put in a request for a crib when we made our reservation. There was a pack and play in the room when we got into our stateroom (with mickey mouse sheets, of course). So at least that is one piece of equipment that you won't have to worry about!

Enjoy your trip!

Kathy

PS. Just wait till you see the infant life jackets! Might as well just encase the child in foam. Too funny!

We took our son on the Wonder when he was 4 m/o & again at about a year. The ship can provide:

Crib (a portable crib, like a pack & play. As mentioned, this included fitted Mickey sheets.

A Diaper Genie.

We brought our own stroller; not sure if they have them available for use on the ship. They DO have some onshore at Castaway Caye.

If you worry about sterilizing bottles, I think the do NOT have a setup for this & think I remember reading that they cannot bring them to the kitchen to wash for you. So you'll need to bring something of your own. I think the same if you want a bottle warmer. We aren't "sterilizers"; we just brought a bottle brush & a small bottle of dish soap & washed the bottles in the sink.

You'd definitely want to bring your own diapers & formula. These might be available on ship or in the Bahamas, but would certainly be expensive there.

Florida has a mandatory car seat law for infants & young children. You WILL DEFINITELY need a car seat for them if you're in a car/van from the airport to the dock. I'd check with the limo company to see if they have them. If not, you will need to bring them.

We had a wonderful time with our boy both times. Child #2 is on the way in 6 months, & I'm sure we will have it on a cruise at a relatively young age.

Anything else in particular you're wondering about?

Does anyone still sterilize bottles?

I can't see it unless the baby is immunocompromized and if that's the case, a cruise is a bad place for them to be.

If you worry about sterilizing bottles, I think the do NOT have a setup for this & think I remember reading that they cannot bring them to the kitchen to wash for you. So you'll need to bring something of your own. I think the same if you want a bottle warmer. We aren't "sterilizers"; we just brought a bottle brush & a small bottle of dish soap & washed the bottles in the sink.

• 7 years later...
Thank you for your replies regarding strollers and bottle warmers. We're cruising out of Galveston. We'll fly into IAH first and then take Disney ground transportation to Galveston. Do I need to bring along my own car seats?

Busses don't have the seat belts necessary for fastening car seats, so, no.

:)

I know they take requests for paknplay's, bed rails, and diaper genies,not sure about bottle Warner's or strollers. You might be better off with your own stroller I'm not sure you can take their loaner strollers. On the islands. So should bring your own my concern is do they put thicker mattress in paknplay's or just that hard one that comes with it. That would be torture for baby to sleep on for a week. Maybe someone else can answer that??? Even if you put in requests go to customer services ASAP. If not in your stateroom

I know they take requests for paknplay's, bed rails, and diaper genies,not sure about bottle Warner's or strollers. You might be better off with your own stroller I'm not sure you can take their loaner strollers. On the islands. So should bring your own my concern is do they put thicker mattress in paknplay's or just that hard one that comes with it. That would be torture for baby to sleep on for a week. Maybe someone else can answer that??? Even if you put in requests go to customer services ASAP. If not in your stateroom

If you have a young child, the Pack n Play and Diaper genie should already be in the room. If not, just ask your room host. Same for bed rails, ask your room host.

Bottle warmers and strollers need to be asked for at Guest services. There are a limited number of both. The strollers are not particulary large (or strong). If you child is over 24 pounds, or so, the frame has been reported as buckling on them. For the stroller, a deposit is charged to your onboard account. When you return it, the deposit is removed.

They do not have diaper cream or oral gel for sale or teethers. (dd got a rash from the sand -stupid, I know!) and I forgot her teethers. They did have a selection of diapers and swim diapers.

They have toddler time (toys/soft blocks) and wake up with disney jr (dancing to popular songs). There's a diaper dash on the last day for crawlers. You can also take them to the club during open house to play.

We only used the stroller on ports, (otherwise, I expected dd to walk) and honestly, wish we would have stayed on ship. DD didn't care and really what's the point? Next one (if we go) we'll stay on board. The stroller was GREAT for waiting in line to get through customs.

We didn't bring her car seat so travel was out.

If you're flying, you'll need the car seats anyway for them to sit in on the plane...

I'm not sure of the pnp. Not sure how two would fit! The room guy made the couch each night, but we just put dd (14 months) in bed with us.

Also, since you're flying, you can order diapers, wipes and other stuff and have it ready for you on the ship.

they did provide a Diaper Genie, but honestly, that thing is gross! I had to touch the diaper and push down. I rather just throwing it away in the trash can. PLUS dd tried opening/putting her hand in the genie.

Host Mick-Yes, many moms still do. (I didn't, but dd never had a bottle) and most use nursery water. I'm not sure why or if it's still 'required'.

If you have a young child, the Pack n Play and Diaper genie should already be in the room. If not, just ask your room host. Same for bed rails, ask your room host.

Bottle warmers and strollers need to be asked for at Guest services. There are a limited number of both. The strollers are not particulary large (or strong). If you child is over 24 pounds, or so, the frame has been reported as buckling on them. For the stroller, a deposit is charged to your onboard account. When you return it, the deposit is removed.

We never got a pnp. I asked for a diaper genie the second day. The first night, the room host made the couch. I guess since dd is 14 months. I didn't know I could ask for rails!!! Dh didn't want her on the couch, so she slept with us..

We never got a pnp. I asked for a diaper genie the second day. The first night, the room host made the couch. I guess since dd is 14 months. I didn't know I could ask for rails!!! Dh didn't want her on the couch, so she slept with us..

Yeah, I think the PnPs are pretty much only automatic in the rooms with less than 1 year olds. But you can request them, if you want them.

You'll need the car seats for the plane, so you'll have them to use in the limo on the way to the port.

People suggest storing them in the shower when not in use.

As far as all the baby gear, it can be requested, it is not guaranteed and based on availability.

Is there going to be room in the cabin for two P&P's?

Thank you for your replies regarding strollers and bottle warmers. We're cruising out of Galveston. We'll fly into IAH first and then take Disney ground transportation to Galveston. Do I need to bring along my own car seats?

Keep in mind that this is a zombie thread. It's about eight years old so the information may be a stale.

We have children 9, 6, and 4. We've been cruising with them their entire lives. Our 4 year old did 4 cruises by the time he was 18 months. Here's my advice:

Don't over think it.

You may have to bring your car seats, unless you take a bus to the port and don't take much ground transport in the ports. In ports, we never took the car seat, we were rarely in transportation as we don't do many excursions.

We brought a travel bassinet when our kids were younger and they slept just fine. We didn't use the oversized pack and plays. As they got a little older, they just slept in the bed, usually with us, but not always. As they got older, they migrated into their own beds, sometimes sleeping together. Kids will adapt.

From my experience, you can throw schedules out the window. Don't try to plan. Don't worry about naps (they will sleep when they are tired). The only thing I'd plan for is to bring plenty of diapers and food. At that age they may be transitioning well to real food which is abundant, but you don't want to have to go out at all hours looking for food if the kid is hungry. And you definitely don't want to run out of diapers. Worry about schedules when you return to home. Although we cruised with a family, friends of ours, last year who had a 3-year-old with them. The mom was complaining 8 months later about how off schedule he was. I think it was just that he was growing out of his infant schedule that they placed him on.

And take lots of pictures. That's my other advice. Splurge on the studio shots.

But the biggest piece of advice is don't expect to do anything. Don't have this grand excursion planned and not be able to go because the kids aren't having any of it. Just enjoy your time with them and relax.

We have children 9, 6, and 4. We've been cruising with them their entire lives. Our 4 year old did 4 cruises by the time he was 18 months. Here's my advice:

Don't over think it.

You may have to bring your car seats, unless you take a bus to the port and don't take much ground transport in the ports. In ports, we never took the car seat, we were rarely in transportation as we don't do many excursions.

We brought a travel bassinet when our kids were younger and they slept just fine. We didn't use the oversized pack and plays. As they got a little older, they just slept in the bed, usually with us, but not always. As they got older, they migrated into their own beds, sometimes sleeping together. Kids will adapt.

From my experience, you can throw schedules out the window. Don't try to plan. Don't worry about naps (they will sleep when they are tired). The only thing I'd plan for is to bring plenty of diapers and food. At that age they may be transitioning well to real food which is abundant, but you don't want to have to go out at all hours looking for food if the kid is hungry. And you definitely don't want to run out of diapers. Worry about schedules when you return to home. Although we cruised with a family, friends of ours, last year who had a 3-year-old with them. The mom was complaining 8 months later about how off schedule he was. I think it was just that he was growing out of his infant schedule that they placed him on.

And take lots of pictures. That's my other advice. Splurge on the studio shots.

But the biggest piece of advice is don't expect to do anything. Don't have this grand excursion planned and not be able to go because the kids aren't having any of it. Just enjoy your time with them and relax.

NOT every kid/baby is that laid back. MINE isn't. I made damn sure to keep nap/bedtime. Though she was ready for bedtime earlier than normal on the ship and went to sleep much easier. She won't sleep anywhere. If there's action going on, she will not fall asleep.

The studio shots weren't worth the $20...they'll take pictures with your own camera :D

I did bring snacks for the ride/wait, but never needed them on the ship. Though I kept some in the room, room service is great!!

Oh, I LOVE zombie threads!!!

Yes, our room had room for two pnp, assuming they are the graco standard pnp size... and you move the chair under the desk and the table to the side/remove it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from fantasy Jan 26th cruise. They do supply Pnplay,diaper genie, high chair in dining rooms just put in requests. If you want a stroller. First come first served have to put deposit. Not sure of the cost since we had our own. We did get bottle warmer from guest services. Had to put $50 deposit which they remove when you take it back. On castaway cay they have strollers and pull wagons. For free. Not right after you get off ship though after you get off tram at both stops. You can also order food formula diapers. And supplies from travel lite under gifts and shopping. But not cheap don't count on buying many supplies in gift shops. Extremely limited for sundries

I'm glad to see diapers listed as being for sale, as one of the Sticky threads said that they only had swim diapers in the shops. Obviously one would bring plenty of diapers, but what if your child got sick and went through them like crazy and there were no more diapers to buy...yikes! :)

I am travelling with my 3yo and a (will be) 5 month old on the Wonder in April. We are flying into FLL and taking a transport company to the Miami port. We called them about the car seats and they said that because it is a commercial vehicle (like the Disney busses also), car seats are not required. Obviously, it is whatever you want to do in that case. I may have the baby carrier seat for the baby, but my 3yo will be seatless, that thing will take up half of the stateroom!!

Also, I do not take the big car seat on the plane ever either, but each time my son has flown it has been as an infant in arms so we just held him the whole time. I know a lot of moms that fly with the big car seat though, or, hope that there is room on the plane for the seat to go on, if not they gate check it.

I may try to reserve a stroller at the start for the baby, but will probably just bring my ErgoBaby.

Archived