Are reef shoes "way" better than tennis shoes

kclav

I guess you asking for when they get wet and/or walking in water? Reef shoes are better for that because that is what they are designed for, they drain while tennis shoes don't. Plus tennis shoes will stink when they get wet and take forever to dry out.

Kirk

To add to what Kirk said, reef shoes really don't absorb much water compared to sneakers. Thus they remain lighter and are easier to swim with if you so choose.

They also are easier to rinse. Remember that you will be in salt water and that it can really stink unless thoroughly rinsed which isn't nearly so feasible with sneakers. If you use your sneakers as reef shoes, you can pretty much count on them being wet for the balance of the trip and you will probably be leaving them behind as you won't want to pack them or wear them home.

Reef shoes are easy to pack as well. If your plan is to be primarily land (or boat) based and you don't really plan to be in the water, stick with the sneakers. Otherwise reef shoes are the way to go though you will still want to have something you are comfortable walking in for land activities. You can get reef shoes for $10 and leave them behind with no regrets.

If you don't mind the shipping costs, there is also swimoutlet.com which has a lot of choices including the speedo product. Most aren't expensive enough to meet the minimum required for free shipping (even with 2 pairs). Just depends what you are willing to spend. Cheers!

Ooops Prissy beat me to the punch!

:)got my shoes and I am ready to hit the beach. Thank you all for your great suggestions! can't wait to actually start this vacation...celebrating 40 years of wedded bliss...to the same guy. Go figure.

Archived