Need Some BCN HOHO help, please.....

stefs111

We are travelling with two mobility issue people, we are a group of four total.

I have some HOHO questions is somebody would be kind enough to answer.

We have two full days in Barcelona and I am thinking of getting tickets for the Hop on Hop off bus. I saw on their website that there are three routes, red, blue and green.

If we do a one day ticket, which is the best route to take ? It is our first time in BCN.

Also, if you are seated on the top, how do you get off the bus at a stop you are interested in ? I know, silly question, but looking at videos and pics, looks like there are alot of passengers on the bus and I am wondering how you manage to get down to the door with people coming onto the bus at the same time?

I don't have a color printer, is there somewhere I can get a good map of the routes?

I have read about the metro, but we prefer not to do it, even tho it is cheaper.

Thank you for any help or replies,

Stephanie

We have two full days in Barcelona and I am thinking of getting tickets for the Hop on Hop off bus. I saw on their website that there are three routes, red, blue and green.

If we do a one day ticket, which is the best route to take ? It is our first time in BCN.

Also, if you are seated on the top, how do you get off the bus at a stop you are interested in ? I know, silly question, but looking at videos and pics, looks like there are alot of passengers on the bus and I am wondering how you manage to get down to the door with people coming onto the bus at the same time?

I don't have a color printer, is there somewhere I can get a good map of the routes?

I have read about the metro, but we prefer not to do it, even tho it is cheaper.

Stephanie

Try Barcelona Day Tours. Our guide was very knowledgeable of Gaudi and Barcelona history. It is worth the Euros. Also, we walked a lot. Most of the sites worth seeing can be walked to or if necessary ride the Metro. The Metro is easy and safe.

Both HOHO buses in Barcelona come to the piers on their red routes. Your 1 day pass allows you to transfer to the other routes (not between bus lines) on the same ticket. You will have to tansfer to another route to get to Sagarda Familia for example. Transfers most often occur in Placa Cantaluyna (sic) at the top of Las Ramblas. Each route without getting off may take 60-90 minutes. Their websites will say. So their is time.

When riding on the bus their will be an announcement of the upcoming stop. Your guide map will also keep you informed. Once stopped the driver will wait for a minute or so to see who is getting off. From the top he will see you coming down the stairs. Often there are people boarding as well.

We used Bus Turistic for a day. They have three routes, and a one-day ticket allows you to go on any of the routes you choose. I forget which color corresponds with which route - both are great, but I really loved the route that took us through Montjuic. It was shady and cool and a real departure from the hot, crowded streets of the more central areas of the city.

The blue and red lines go all over downtown Barcelona - we went on both of these routes (there is a stop where you transfer from one line to the other), and it was very enjoyable. We saw a lot of the city that we wouldn't have by walking or taking the metro. We skipped the green route which is just a short tour through the port and beach area.

Getting off at stops is fairly easy. When you buy your tickets you will get a map of all the routes and the stops. It's easy to keep track of where you are, and you just get off whenever you want (the bus will stop at every spot indicated on the map - they don't skip any). They should allow people to leave the bus first before new passengers are allowed on, so that's not a problem.

Blue and Red will take you to the Olympic village and most of the Gaudi/Barri Gottic areas. Green will take you from the beach area Eastward toward many hotels. Red and Blue I would do first.

We never had a problem. The recorded messages will let you know what is coming up so that you are prepared to disembark. They will wait to give you a chance. You exit off the back and enter at the front so they are usually busy getting people on up front and there is plenty of time to exit the back.

You can just get on a HOHO from where you happen to be in the route and purchase tickets as you get on. They have maps available there and if you see that you are on the blue and want the red, there are places where they meet up and you can get off one route and onto another.

Stephanie

Hi there,

Well everyone has already helped you but I did want to add a few things. We just returned from 4 days post-cruise in Barcelona and used the Barcelona Bus Turistic HOHO. It was fabulous. We took the green and red route first day just to get oriented with the city, and then the next day did the whole route, blue included. I'll give you a link to the website below but if you look at the map of the routes, you'll see where the green route ends; this is where our hotel was so it was very convenient to use the HOHO.

One thing we learned and are anxious to pass on to others so they don't do it!!! The website offers a discount if you buy your tickets online. DON'T DO IT! The reason is that you actually have to have your receipt validated and trade it in for actual tickets. There are only 3 or so places in the city to do this. Since the airport is one of those places and we didn't fly in, we were stuck.... we ended up taking a cab to the tourist bureau to validate our online tickets. Frustrating! And defeats the purpose of the HOHO. *sigh* It's OK... we're not bitter.... :p

The routes may look confusing, but they are not. The HOHO is a great way to get around. You will be given headsets and you simply plug into whatever language you want - the stops are announced prior so you have time to get down the stairs if you are up top.

Wear your sunblock and hat if you are up top. :) It got so hot the days we were there. Lots of sunburned faces, arms, and bald heads. :o

http://www.bcn.travel/en/barcelona-tours/tours/barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-bus-turistic

Have fun!

I am so glad I posted this question. Everyone here has givin me such good information and tips that I would never have known. I love Cruise Critic for this reason. It is my "go to" for any information and all my questions, no matter how incidental it is.

Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I also suggest the Red/Blue routes. Most of the major attractions are on this route.

If members of your party are mobility impaired, I would choose a departure point closest to your hotel. We found that our hotel, the Eurostars Grand Marina, had a pickup literally in front which was very convenient for us. The second closest stop was at Columbus Square. It is definitely worth the money to be able to see the route in its entirety without getting off if you don't want to.

Archived